Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Possible Trump Indictment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You telling porkies again and then accusing Republicans of what you're guilty of?

Or can you just not count? Just a few examples, all on federal level, all serving at a federal level:
    The "defund the police" movement, is one of reimagining the current police system to build an entity that does not violate us, while relocating funds to invest in community services.

Let’s be clear, the people who now oppose this, have always opposed calls for systematic change. https://t.co/SEh97GS9hg
    — Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) June 9, 2020
    The defund movement isn't new. Folks are just finally listening. "We got money for wars but can't feed the poor." #HappyBirthdayTupac #DefundPolice #FundCommunities
    — Ayanna Pressley (@AyannaPressley) June 16, 2020
    I believe we need to protect families who need help, and ICE isn’t doing that. It has become a deportation force. We need to separate immigration issues from criminal justice. We need to abolish ICE, start over and build something that actually works. https://t.co/JtSN68k4Fd
    — Kirsten Gillibrand (@SenGillibrand) June 29, 2018
    Instead of spending $80 billion a year on jails and incarceration, we need to be investing in more jobs and education. One thing is abundantly clear: Every police department violating people's civil rights must be stripped of federal funding. Period.
    — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) June 4, 2020
    When we say #DefundPolice, what we mean is people are dying and we need to invest in people's livelihoods instead.

EXAMPLE: Detroit spent $294 million on police last year, and $9 million on health.

This is systemic oppression in numbers. pic.twitter.com/oPe0GD3D6p
    — Rashida Tlaib (@RashidaTlaib) June 4, 2020
    Defunding the police is about rebuilding our country in the image of our people — full of humanity, love, and care. Particularly for our kids and schools. https://t.co/vLZGfaidlH
    — Jamaal Bowman (@JamaalBowmanNY) February 22, 2021
    Another unarmed black man, shot in the back, by a WI police officer! No matter the outrage at the killing of George Floyd by a police officer, knee on his neck, the killing of black men continues. Is this a defiance by the police that indicates they don’t intend to stop?
    — Maxine Waters (@RepMaxineWaters) August 26, 2020
    This is the same Sacramento Police Department that murdered #StephonClark. The leadership of the department, and all of these officers, must be fired. Then, the department must be dismantled and policing reimagined.pic.twitter.com/c8dORCjsKG
    — Mondaire Jones (@MondaireJones) August 30, 2020
    For those who think spending more on policing works, look at St. Louis.

We spend more per capita on police than 85% of police depts, yet 68% of violent crimes go unsolved. And police kill us at the highest rate in the nation.

Police don’t need more money. Our communities do.
    — Cori Bush (@CoriBush) June 3, 2021
    Defunding the police isn’t radical, it’s real. https://t.co/wUcTjxqS3w
    — Cori Bush (@CoriBush) January 28, 2021
    Too many police in our country are more concerned with protecting white supremacy than serving the communities that pay their salaries. https://t.co/yDdUuw0GRv
    — Jamaal Bowman (@JamaalBowmanNY) March 17, 2021
    An “accidental discharge” that kills someone has another name: manslaughter.

We don’t need police with lethal weapons carrying out routine traffic stops.

Re-allocate police funding to unarmed traffic forces to remove even the possibility of state-sanctioned manslaughter. https://t.co/AbZ4NcwCC0
    — Jamaal Bowman (@JamaalBowmanNY) April 12, 2021
    ICE has kept a 7 year old captive & alone for FOUR MONTHS with no parents around.

This is cruel and unusual punishment. The Eight Amendment strictly prohibits government from acting this way.

THIS is what we need to “shut down until we figure out what’s going on.” Defund ICE. https://t.co/l47AcpudDZ
    — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 12, 2018
    Defund ICE.

Fund the USPS.
    — Rep. Ilhan Omar (@Ilhan) August 15, 2020
    Now @VICE reporting that @CBP is sending predator drones over #GeorgeFloyd protests in Minneapolis.

This is what happens when leaders sign blank check after blank check to militarize police, CBP, etc while letting violence go unchecked.

We need answers. And we need to defund. https://t.co/tfBZFRNI9G
    — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) May 29, 2020
    "But the truth is that abolishing ICE isn’t that radical. We reorganize government all the time, creating some agencies and eliminating others. Nevertheless, it is a bold proposal."

It's time to be bold. It's time to #AbolishICE.https://t.co/bSrAg79xLT
    — Rep. Mark Pocan (@repmarkpocan) July 2, 2018
    Do we really think our local police departments need weapons of war like:

Grenade Launchers?
    Bayonets?
    Explosives?
    Weaponized Drones?

None of these weapons belong on our streets against American civilians.

We must #DemilitarizeThePolice today. It's past time we did.
    — Senator Mazie Hirono (@maziehirono) July 21, 2020
    The maximum cruelty that ICE inflicts on immigrants is horrifying and must come to an immediate end. It's time to replace this inhumane system with one that treats immigrants with dignity while ending our reliance on detention.https://t.co/4UtxDYmWHB
    — Rep. Pramila Jayapal (@RepJayapal) December 19, 2020
    Roughly 1 in 4 fatal police encounters end the life of someone with mental illness, so it’s no surprise that this program is saving lives. Sending healthcare professionals—not police—when someone is experiencing a mental health crisis makes our communities safer for all. https://t.co/9FDbAxtGas
    — Rep. Katie Porter (@RepKatiePorter) February 8, 2021
    We have seen video after video over the last few weeks of peaceful protestors being met with extreme violence from police.

We can’t wait. It’s time to overhaul our policing system. https://t.co/3PiHshcjMN
    — Rep. Barbara Lee (@RepBarbaraLee) June 5, 2020
    Today's police forces look more like armies equipped with weapons of war. A fed'l program from the 1990s sends surplus military equipment to NYPD & other police. Today, I've introduced legislation to end this initiative once and for all. #BlackLivesMatter #EndPoliceViolence 1/3 pic.twitter.com/wLmYY6MnH6
    — Rep. Nydia Velazquez (@NydiaVelazquez) June 10, 2020
    Today's @HouseJudiciary markup will address the reforms needed to hold police accountable, fight systemic racism, & save lives. Watch: https://t.co/mBADi91Dz7

We can & must re-imagine what just policing looks like in our country. #JusticeInPolicing pic.twitter.com/slDCk6N9pk
    — Rep. Zoe Lofgren (@RepZoeLofgren) June 17, 2020
    We can and must re-imagine what just policing looks like in our country. Today's @HouseJudiciary hearing will address the reforms needed to hold police accountable, fight systemic racism, and save lives. pic.twitter.com/pvusXDrBSm
    — David Cicilline (@davidcicilline) June 17, 2020
    We must defund Trump’s secret police that are currently in Portland and soon may arrive uninvited in other American cities.

I'm in D.C. working around the clock to build support for such a plan.
    — Earl Blumenauer (@repblumenauer) July 21, 2020
    Police departments across the country have a lot more to do.

We must continue to apply pressure to disrupt the system.

This is how we see results.
    — Yvette D. Clarke (@RepYvetteClarke) June 6, 2020

We will wait with bated breath for your apology for your falsehood, because I brought the receipts, you Kiwi twit. Stop getting your news from cranks like TYTs.
    A few more (and maybe repeating a couple):

Democrat Rep. Val Demings called the Minneapolis City Council "very thoughtful" for voting to dismantle the police.

Democrat Rep. Ilhan Omar called for called for dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department. She has done so several times.

Then House Speaker Democrat Rep. Nancy Pelosi and fellow House Democrats refused to criticize the Minneapolis City Council for defunding the police.

Democrat Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) says she's she's not going to stop using the slogan "defund the police" ahead of this fall's midterms” and months later declared that she "Absolutely" still supports defunding.

Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez declared that "defunding police means defunding police," declaring that cuts to the NYPD weren’t enough.

Democrat Rep. Rashida Tlaib, who hired anti-Semitic and defund the police activist, Rasha Mubarak, has repeatedly called for "no more police."

Democrat Rep. Jamaal Bowman said he supports defunding the police.

Democrat Rep. Cori Bush says that defunding our police departments will stop the police "murdering Black people" and make their communities safe (she also notoriously said not to worry, she will make sure that she has private security for her protection -- "I'm going to make sure I have security")

Democrat Rep. Ayanna Pressley said she supports efforts to defund police departments likening it to "true reparations."

Democrat Vice President Kamala Harris applauded Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti for defunding the police. She also notoriously pushed people to contribute to a fund to help bail out those arrested for rioting in Minneapolis (but like a typical liberal didn't herself contribute -- best to show you care with other people's money) and told Americans that they shouldn't stop rioting and Americans better beware.

And there are several people in old Joe's Administration who supported defunding. For instance, Biden's Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke supported efforts to "defund the police" while Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta declared that officials must heed calls to "decrease police budgets and the scope, role, and responsibility of police in our lives."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
      Luv it.......

Intense anger over outrageous injustice could have provoked such knee-jerk outbursts, but nobody really wanted to leave the people and communities without any protection at all. They just wanted to clear out bad policing, I expect. As you know our biggest force here needs shaking down to its very roots. All my life I've known about corruption in the Met, my first experience was witnessing a family friend paying off two uniformed cops after getting caught shooting a red light..... straight out of his pocket as I watched in the back seat. We certainly could sort through out entire constabulary network for the outright villains.
      Many make it clear that they don't want reform, they want abolishment. From the New York Times: Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is so weak...... don't you think?
        Now come on and think about Former President Trump.....there must be one feature of him that was devoted to the people or the country that you admired.

Tell me how he was better than a democrat President?
        First, Russia invaded Ukraine under Obama and Biden. Second, thanks to Obama era meddling in Ukraine (by both the US and the EU), Russia's invasion of Ukraine has destablised multiple facets of global society, including the fall of the USD globally while the Yuan rises. Seeing as Putin was once part of the WEF, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an effort by the likes of the WEF to cut losses and focus on the "civilised world" and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Hilary already showed her penchant for interventionism with Libya and that still is a disaster. Democrats believe there is no negative just keep printing money. The sad thing is that the budget can fixed, but it would take bipartisan cooperation the likes of which the US hasn't seen since the Era of Good Feelings. Democrats also just wat to further expose kids sexually and want to destroy their bodies with hormones or surgery. Democrats also have no problem allowing newborns to be intentionally left to die via neglect should they survive an abortion
        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Many make it clear that they don't want reform, they want abolishment. From the New York Times: Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police
          That looks like some kind of anarchist daftness.
          After being the victims of some crime or other, most folks will scream for the police.......
          I don't believe that many people in America want to abolish law enforcement......... maybe the police in an area with a strong sheriff presence. I think you can vote in/out your sheriffs, can't you? In a district like that I could understand a wish to remove cops, but....,.?

Comment

After being the victims of some crime or other, most folks will scream for the police.......
            I don't believe that many people in America want to abolish law enforcement......... maybe the police in an area with a strong sheriff presence. I think you can vote in/out your sheriffs, can't you? In a district like that I could understand a wish to remove cops, but....,.?
            Several polls demonstrated that blacks either want the same level of policing or even more but there is this to contend with

lib racism.jpg

After all, we have an old white man as president with a long racist past who has proclaimed himself arbitrator of who is and who isn't legitimately black: "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black." The same guy who says blacks aren't smart enough to figure out how to go online without help, and aren't smart enough to hire a lawyer or CPA to help launch a business, or several other similar things.

Comment

There have been occasions where one community or another was able to successfully reduce the police presence in their neighborhoods, which predictably resulted in increased crime, followed by those same communities bitterly complaining about the reduced police presence in their neighborhoods. A classic example of "Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it."
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Several polls demonstrated that blacks either want the same level of policing or even more but there is this to contend with

lib racism.jpg

After all, we have an old white man as president with a long racist past who has proclaimed himself arbitrator of who is and who isn't legitimately black: "If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black." The same guy who says blacks aren't smart enough to figure out how to go online without help, and aren't smart enough to hire a lawyer or CPA to help launch a business, or several other similar things.
                Other choice quotes from old Joe:

"Poor kids are just as bright as white kids."

"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things."

"This country is doomed. It is doomed not just because of African Americans, but because by 2040, this country is going to be minority White European."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Other choice quotes from old Joe:

"Poor kids are just as bright as white kids."

"Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things."

"This country is doomed. It is doomed not just because of African Americans, but because by 2040, this country is going to be minority White European."
                  While his handlers were trying to walk back and spin that second remark, Joe went on to another stop where he repeated it.

And don't forget what he said about Obama:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

The "first" means that no other black was articulate, bright and... clean. All other blacks were by definition unintelligible, ignorant and dirty. According to old Joe this was such an anomaly that it's "storybook."

But then, what do you expect from someone who when he arrived in Washington, befriended and worked with the most virulently racist, worst segregationists there[1]. Working with them to fight against desegregating public schools. And why? I'll let old Joe 'splain it to you in his own words back then. Joe said that he was opposed school desegregation because it would result in sending his kids to "a jungle, a racial jungle."

"a jungle, a racial jungle."

Interesting that he choose to describe the result of allowing blacks to attend school with whites as being a "jungle" considering it's blatantly racist loaded meaning. I mean it's not a so subtle play on the racist smear that blacks are monkeys living in trees in the jungle.

But wait! There's more.

Joe continued to sing their praises, telling everyone what a swell bunch of guys they were during the debates as he wistfully reminisced about the good of days of segregation and how those that supported it were such nice guys. That prompted his now VP, Kamala Harris, to blast him for "coddl[ing] the reputations of segregationists" and resulted in Sen. Corey Booker questioning Biden's judgement and asking for him to apologize. An unrepentant Biden shot back "Apologize for what?" and then bizarrely demanded an apology from Booker (on Juneteenth no less).

And now, to make it even worse, he has rewritten that history and pretends that he was doing the opposite, that he was "involved with the African American community and the civil rights movement since I’ve been a junior in high school, desegregating movie theaters and the like."

All from the same clown who appointed himself the arbitrator of who is and who isn't really black

image_42449.jpg

Source: The problem with Joe Biden's 'chummy' politics

[...]

It wasn’t the first time Biden has offered fond memories of Dixiecrat colleagues. He has consistently cited the era of racists like Strom Thurmond and James Eastland as a time of greater “unity” and “civility” that we could learn lessons from. Back then, he has said, “the political system worked.” Biden gave a warm and effusive eulogy for Thurmond at his 2003 funeral, saying it he had been “honored” to work with a man who once declared that the “nigger race” would never be admitted to Southern institutions.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

lib racism.jpg

An old white Dixiecrat senator that used his position to oppose desegregation and worked with and praised unabashed white supremacists who helped him. And this doddering fool has a nerve to lie and say he was arrested as a civil rights activist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Thanks for your quotes Gond. I apologize for my inaccurate comments earlier. I value truth as sacred and so greatly value correction when I make any error.

I don't agree that all of those quotes are referring to defund the police, but many certainly are. I think perhaps it's more correct to say that nobody in the leadership of the Dem party ever supported the defund the police movement. I do still think it is true to say that Republicans pretended it was more of a thing among Dems than it really was. Remember there are ~264 democrats in congress, so your list is only indicating around 10% support for the broad concept of it, which is not a large percentage.
                      So you apologize for being wrong, yet you then moved the goalposts? What would you consider "leadership" of the democrat party. Your idol AOC certainly engaged in that rhetoric. Kam who also engaged in it is the VP. Since when do you respect democrat "leadership" anyway? You seem to prefer the fringe leftist radicals to the Bidens and the Pelosis.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

An old white Dixiecrat senator that used his position to oppose desegregation and worked with and praised unabashed white supremacists who helped him. And this doddering fool has a nerve to lie and say he was arrested as a civil rights activist.
                        C'monman! The big guy was arrested and detained while trying to see Nelson Mandela. No lie.

Actually, the truth behind that wild whooper is so strange that it reveals a true Walter Mitty-like mind set.

Comment

• Has he claimed to be the first woman president yet?

Comment

C'monman! The big guy was arrested and detained while trying to see Nelson Mandela. No lie.

Actually, the truth behind that wild whooper is so strange that it reveals a true Walter Mitty-like mind set.
                            I compare Biden's lies to Trump's lies chronicled in the WaPo. A lot of Trump's so-called lies (other than WaPo just splitting hairs and nickpicking slight details) are based on exaggerations and bluster you typically hear from politicians.

It's quite different from actually making up fantasy scenarios about historical events you engaged in that weren't true, or the complete OPPOSITE of being true.

Comment

I compare Biden's lies to Trump's lies chronicled in the WaPo. A lot of Trump's so-called lies (other than WaPo just splitting hairs and nickpicking slight details) are based on exaggerations and bluster you typically hear from politicians.

It's quite different from actually making up fantasy scenarios about historical events you engaged in that weren't true, or the complete OPPOSITE of being true.
                              Don't forget that back in 2019, Trump hosted the Clemson University's football team at the White House after they defeated Alabama at the College Football Playoff National Championship. Due to the partial government shutdown the White House kitchen staff has been furloughed so Trump went out and bought $3000 worth of fast food for them. What upset those afflicted with TDS at the Washington Post was Trump's statement that they had hamburgers stacked "a mile high." So they actually had what is painfully obviously a figure of speech fact checked to see if the hamburgers would literally be a mile high

Yup. You read that right. They actually fact checked it.

Their solemn conclusion? "At two inches each, a thousand burgers would not reach one mile high." So that was included in the list of LIES! told by Trump according to the WaPo.

And during one of his SOTU addresses, Trump said that a third ("one in three") of the women and girls illegally crossing the border end up getting sexually assaulted. Now according to Amnesty International the number is closer to 60% and one study even puts the number as high as 80%, but Politico followed by WaPo cited statistics indicating that the number is 31% so that they could call the claim false. Talk about your nitpicking. It is almost a given that every past president and every politician has used "one-third" or "one-half" rather than a specific fraction, and walked away without being fact-checked but with Trump rounding off like that gets called another lie.

Now, there is no doubt that Trump stretches the truth beyond the breaking point -- and he does so quite frequently. Pretty much like every politician of every party before him. But the foaming at the mouth sufferers of TDS love to pad the list with a massive number of examples of what a rational person can quickly deduce are statements of opinion that those who fabricate these lists simply disagree with. I've noted repeatedly that the sort of lists of lies you see circulating have been cobbled together about every president and tend to be loaded with things that by any stretch of the imagination aren't lies but rather statements of opinion and mistakes ("Obama LIED when he said there were 57 states!" is one I remember seeing more than once). The difference was that previously these sort of things were circulated by fringe groups and only appeared upon occasion in an email, FAX or on a late night radio talk show, but now are eagerly disseminated by supposedly respectable news outlets.

One other thing to note. About halfway through his term I heard a Never Trumper conservative reluctantly concede that Trump behaves a lot like a stereotypical New Yorker -- especially those from Brooklyn and Queens -- where everything they do is the biggest, the best, the greatest... (until now I only thought Texans spoke that way about what they do ). But the TDS afflicted leap on those sort of statements as "LIES!" (it wasn't the biggest like Trump claimed but only the third biggest so he is a unforgivable low down dirty liar!).

Not too long ago some of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's supporters defended her often hilarious flubs declaring that stodgy Washingtonians just didn't understand how New Yorkers tend to say things. They, of course, would never think for a moment of giving Trump the same benefit of the doubt. Too much unreasoning hatred there. After all, he committed the unpardonable sin of defeating the candidate that our betters had in their infinite wisdom selected for us to rule... er, govern the country -- even rigging primaries (so that she'd get the most delegates regardless of who the commoners voted for) and debates (giving her the questions in advance so she could concoct an answer she thought people would buy).

Comment

Why I remember when Biden wrote the constitution and led the Revolutionary Army against the British.

Comment