Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Meanwhile in Sudan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile in Sudan...

While Gaza and Ukraine get most of the headlines let us not forget another area of conflict and the sufferings of millions of civilians

https://news.un.org/en/story/2024/05/1149641

According to UN emergency relief chief Martin Griffiths, a “strike” damaged the roof of the intensive care unit at Southern Hospital in El Fasher Town – the only working hospital in North Darfur state – where medical supplies are running dangerously low.

Some 800,000 people live in and around El Fasher Town where “countless lives are at stake. Sudan is at a tipping point,” Mr. Griffiths said in a message on X late Sunday.
    Key city at stake

In an update on the hostilities, the UN aid coordination office (OCHA) reported that dozens of civilians had been killed in renewed heavy fighting last Friday between the Sudanese Armed Forces and Rapid Support Force (RSF) soldiers in and around the city – the last one in North Darfur not yet under RSF control, it has been reported.

“The clashes, including airstrikes and the use of heavy weapons, started mid-morning in the eastern part of El Fasher Town and continued until 6.30pm,” said OCHA. “The clashes extended into the centre of the town, the outskirts of the main market and into neighbourhoods, resulting in civilian deaths and injuries.”

Before the latest bloodshed, humanitarians warned that months of escalating violence around El Fasher Town had been behind “persistent” aid access obstructions that had hampered the sustained flow of aid and basic commodities, “pushing people to the brink of famine”.

Nearly 25 million need help

In Darfur alone, some nine million people need humanitarian assistance today, but a staggering 24.8 million across Sudan – almost one in two people in the country - now require help from the UN and aid partners.

The latest assessment of hunger levels across Sudan from late March were already alarming, even before this latest escalation.

It revealed that 17.7 million people – more than one-third of the country’s population – faced acute food insecurity (IPC3) or worse, with level three indicating “Crisis” and five indicating “Famine”.

Of these, 4.9 million people “are on the brink of famine”, experts at the globally respected Integrated Food Security Phase Classification initiative warned. “Nearly nine out of 10 people in IPC4 are in conflict-affected areas in Darfur, Kordofan, Khartoum and Jazirah. With the onset of the lean season from April onwards, food insecurity is expected to further worsen,” their assessment noted.

Millions of lives upended

According to the UN migration agency, IOM, about 570,000 people have been displaced in North Darfur state in the last 13 months and 6.7 million have been internally displaced, while 1.8 million have fled across Sudan’s border, UN refugee agency (UNHCR) data shows.

Before reports of renewed clashes on Sunday in and around El Fasher Town, OCHA said that large numbers of people had moved from the east and northwest to the south.

Media reports cited the medical director of the El Fasher Town hospital describing that patients were being treated in any available space within the facility, including on balconies. Echoing concerns over damage to medical equipment and supplies, the director indicated that a key supply line to the rest of Sudan had been cut off by the RSF.
    Guterres gravely concerned

UN Secretary-General António Guterres is gravely concerned by the outbreak of fighting in El Fasher, his spokesperson said in a statement issued on Monday evening.

Mr. Guterres recalled that civilians in the area are already facing a looming famine and the consequences of over a year of war.

He reminded the parties of their obligation to protect civilians, urging them to allow people to move to safer areas.

"He also requests that all parties facilitate safe, rapid and unimpeded humanitarian access to all civilians in need in El Fasher, across Darfur and the Sudan," the statement said.

"Intentionally directing attacks against the civilian population and willfully impeding humanitarian relief for civilians in need may constitute war crimes."

The Secretary-General appealed to the parties to immediately stop fighting and resume ceasefire negotiations without further delay.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    While Gaza and Ukraine get most of the headlines let us not forget another area of conflict and the sufferings of millions of civilians

Nearly 25 million need help
    Where are all he leftists, and students protesting, blocking traffic shutting down colleges? Oh wait - the Jews are not involved, no big deal...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Where are all he leftists, and students protesting, blocking traffic shutting down colleges? Oh wait - the Jews are not involved, no big deal...
      I am not sure how many American universities have invested with the government of Sudan or are connected with it. perhaps you can tell me.

However, I agree that this is yet another tragedy that is not receiving anything remotely comparable to the publicity about Gaza.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am not sure how many American universities have invested with the government of Sudan or are connected with it. perhaps you can tell me.

However, I agree that this is yet another tragedy that is not receiving anything remotely comparable to the publicity about Gaza.
        I think Germany should send a peacekeeping force

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think Germany should send a peacekeeping force
          Germany can't even keep peace in Germany.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Much less Ukraine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If the EU wants to be one of the big boys on the global stage, let the EU put on its big kid pants. Perhaps you should contact your MP and lobby on behalf of Sudan.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                If the EU wants to be one of the big boys on the global stage, let the EU put on its big kid pants. Perhaps you should contact your MP and lobby on behalf of Sudan.
                What has the above to do with a humanitarian crisis in Sudan?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He has suggested a course of action to try to solve it. Something noticeable absent on your part.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    He has suggested a course of action to try to solve it. Something noticeable absent on your part.
                    I am not sure that military intervention in another country is always a good idea. The USA tried it in Iraq... twice... and look how that turned out.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Because if it continues, Europe will be the recipient of a lot of refugees. The only way the crisis in Sudan will be resolved is if someone can stop the fighting between the SAF and the RSF. Maybe the EU should try to do that.

Comment

I am not sure that military intervention in another country is always a good idea. The USA tried it in Iraq... twice... and look how that turned out.
                        Who said it has to be military? What about diplomatic?

Comment

You seem to be having an AI hallucination. DIO did not suggest military intervention.

Let's recap the discussion for you:

DIO: If the EU wants to be one of the big boys on the global stage, let the EU put on its big kid pants. Perhaps you should contact your MP and lobby on behalf of Sudan.
                          H_A: What has the above to do with a humanitarian crisis in Sudan?
                          ROGUE: He has suggested a course of action to try to solve it. Something noticeable absent on your part.
                          H_A: I am not sure that military intervention in another country is always a good idea. The USA tried it in Iraq... twice... and look how that turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Who said it has to be military? What about diplomatic?
                            The UN is urging a ceasefire. Rather as it has tried to do in Gaza.

I have noticed over the years that thread topics here are inclined to be somewhat limited in their scope. I therefore posted this thread to remind those who visit this Civics board that other horrors are being perpetrated around the world that cause suffering and misery,

Below is a link to the American Red Cross

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/ne...o-helping.html
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              As with everything, Europe moans and groans about the world yet continue to fund only their social programs. They want the US to pay for it and then they complain why the US isn't more like Europe.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment