Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Possible Trump Indictment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I had my own place soon after turning 18 and the only time I lived with my parents after that was when I moved my mother in with me, where I provided in home hospice for her when her cancer spread after getting chemotherapy and radiation treatments.

Everyone kept praising me for being such a good son. I would correct them. I wasn't so much being a good son as paying her back for being such a wretched hand full to raise. I considered it a debt that needed to be paid.
    Well, full praise to you whether you correct me or not, rogue. That is exactly what both my friends did, they extended full home-care to their parents until the end. In each case they didn't house a parent like you did but lived on with them in the family home. Like my friends you will have been very close.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Well, full praise to you whether you correct me or not, rogue. That is exactly what both my friends did, they extended full home-care to their parents until the end. In each case they didn't house a parent like you did but lived on with them in the family home. Like my friends you will have been very close.
      My mother and I never did get along. As I said, it was something I just felt was owed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Yep! Great idea..... But we have a much more complex system....obviously........ the top panel to our Porch door is doubled glazed; my wife spray painted the glass to match the colour of the door, and once dry I scratched a 1" x 1.5" peephole out of the centre.

A mate is in to such gear as yours, and (probably like you) he can view all the rooms. IT gear is leaving me far behind and this was one of my reasons for retiring from the security world 13 yrs ago, the law and digital systems had already moved beyond 'the old ways'.
        I have Blink cameras throughout the house, and outside. I can see almost anything that happens in or around the house, and it records the video in case I need it. I keep the outside cameras armed all the time, but the indoor cameras are only armed from midnight till 6AM, when I am sleeping, or when I leave the house. And the doors and living room are covered by an ADT security system/motion sensor, that will, as I said before, eventually call the police if there is a break-in. The blink cameras are just for me and not connected to the alarm system, and record locally to my computer. ADT has cameras available but I just don't trust somebody sitting in a room somewhere else being able to see and record me whenever they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have Blink cameras throughout the house, and outside. I can see almost anything that happens in or around the house, and it records the video in case I need it. I keep the outside cameras armed all the time, but the indoor cameras are only armed from midnight till 6AM, when I am sleeping, or when I leave the house. And the doors and living room are covered by an ADT security system/motion sensor, that will, as I said before, eventually call the police if there is a break-in. The blink cameras are just for me and not connected to the alarm system, and record locally to my computer. ADT has cameras available but I just don't trust somebody sitting in a room somewhere else being able to see and record me whenever they want.
          What if a thief steals your computer?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What if a thief steals your computer?
            The blink cameras have their own wireless hub that records to an SD card and I have the hub hidden so if they get my computer I will still have the SD card with the video. They also have a cloud service you can subscribe to to save your videos to the cloud, but I am too cheap and paranoid for that.

Comment

My mother and I never did get along. As I said, it was something I just felt was owed.
              That gives me some small insight.......
              In about 1995 my Mother's home had deteriorated very badly and I contacted the council in connection with it's policy (back then) to renovate old people's homes for free...all she had to do was live in that property for three years for the cost to be cleared. The council offered her free roof, damp treatments, replastering, two new floors and a new kitchen, but when they called to explain everything she refused to sign anything. There was nothing that they or I could do. So I suggested that she sell the big old place, buy a tiny little place in the same road as us and put a huge remaining lump of cash in the bank to keep her going. This was a great idea because she'd been chucked out of all the Whitstable pubs and thus she would have all the Herne Bay Pubs to get through and with affordable taxi rides home, etc. This she did, but she mismanaged her funds and grew very old and infirm.....eventually she let me manage all her affairs with health, social and council officials. Trying to help my elderly mother was like trying to help an enemy...... many years later she accused me of causing her to lose her big old home, and when I explained that I had tried everything possible to get her to sign the forms that would have her house restored free of charge, she answered with 'Well I didn't trust them!' She never allowed me to get her a television or improve her home situation. If my wife went round to cook or clean she was so insulted that she would not could not go there. My daughter couldn't go there either, would be called shocking names etc. In the end her place was such a mess that I called in a friend's cleaning company to carry out a one day mass cleaning project and over ten cleaners attended, but she refused to have a day out with me while that happened. She died in 2003.......... but early experiences in WWII and a sad marriage had smashed her up inside. I feel quite sad about her, nobody ever visited her apart from self and various social services folks. I wish I could have been more useful to her, more helpful, but she wouldn't let people help.

Prime Minister Thatcher got the country's mental hospitals closed down in the 80s/early 90's and introduced 'Care in the Community' for mentally disabled folks. I don't think that fitted so many individual cases.

Comment

You really do look to be switched on with modern security apps. My mate has a similar system because he is in to new technology rather than protecting any very high risk. Your post suggests that you live alone...yes-no?

Comment

The blink cameras have their own wireless hub that records to an SD card and I have the hub hidden so if they get my computer I will still have the SD card with the video. They also have a cloud service you can subscribe to to save your videos to the cloud, but I am too cheap and paranoid for that.
                  However would want to stuff their personal life and messages in to 'the cloud'? You ain't cheap, nor paranoid...... just endowed with common sense.

Comment

It sounds like you are expecting trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

As the old Arab proverb tells us, "Trust in God but tie up your camel."

Comment

As the old Arab proverb tells us, "Trust in God but tie up your camel."
                        I try to weigh the investment and risk in such things. My bro lives in L.A. County so he has ring cameras and guns in the house. Where I live, they just don't seem practical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I got broke into once and since then have realized it is better to expect trouble and not get it than it is to not expect trouble and get it. Luckily I wasn't home the last time I was burglarized, but the feeling you get from having your home and privacy invaded doesn't go away.

Comment