Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ferguson shooting indictment announcement coming at 9PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Sorry, but witness statements say otherwise. He had already been assaulted once by a man 50% more than his body weight, and that same person was charging toward him again in a "football" rush. He had EVERY right to expect he was in serious danger again when Brown was moving toward him.
    Assuming this is true, a gun was the only thing he thought to use when Brown was still quite a distance away...despite his claim that when Brown was right in front of him and throwing punches, the gun was the last thing that he thought to use.

he had 17 years to repent. He had his chances.
    Jeffrey Dahmer committed significantly more gruesome and numerous crimes and received twice that much time...and ultimately may have repented in the end. Being content with seventeen years hardly seems fair or compassionate.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

So, the eyewitnesses all lied? And the blood spatter patterns? And the shell casings?
      Eyewitnesses didn't unanimously agree with Wilson's account--wouldn't be accurate to classify as they ALL lied. The blood spatter patterns (unless I've missed something) don't necessarily prove that Brown was full-on charging at him. Not sure what the shell casings are supposed to mean.

Originally posted by myth View Post
      I'm sorry, square peg...but you're way off in the deep end on this one.
      Believing that all people inherently have a right to life, regardless of what they may have done, is "way off in the deep end?"
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        Assuming this is true, a gun was the only thing he thought to use when Brown was still quite a distance away...despite his claim that when Brown was right in front of him and throwing punches, the gun was the last thing that he thought to use.
        Yes, gun in punching range is a dangerous idea since it can be stolen from you (as Wilson found out). Gun from long distance is good because you can shoot the guy if he tries anything. Seems perfectly reasonable to humans from planet Earth.

Believing that all people inherently have a right to life, regardless of what they may have done, is "way off in the deep end?"
        All people except for Officer Wilson who should have risked his life to keep the guy who assaulted and tried to kill him alive at any cost.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
          Yes, gun in punching range is a dangerous idea since it can be stolen from you (as Wilson found out). Gun from long distance is good because you can shoot the guy if he tries anything. Seems perfectly reasonable to humans from planet Earth.
          The biggest advantage of a firearm is its advantage to "reach out and touch someone" without putting its user in danger of being struck, grabbed or otherwise physically attacked.

One thing that you see in the movies or on TV is that always bugged me is that it appears mandatory that the person armed with a firearm must, absolutely must, come into physical contact with whoever they are covering so that they can be disarmed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not at all. Your belief is spot-on. Your analysis of the situation we've been discussing, however, is so far off the mark that I find myself wondering what planet you're from.
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

So the fact that they had such a short limit and that he only had one training session before going out to do a job in which he might need to use a taser is a problem, isn't it?
              considering they just got the tazers, no.

Right...but then, according to Wilson's own testimony, Brown started running away. It takes barely a second to locate and secure the pepper spray before getting out of the car to chase after him.
              And you know this because of your vast knowledge of pepper spray and police work?

He just tried to grab Wilson's gun and slammed him in the car. Excuse him if it took him too long to play TV cop fast enough for you.

I'm not. Although aspects of Wilson's testimony personally sound far-fetched to me, I'm going along with them for now, since, you know, Brown can't offer his side of the story. I'm just trying to figure out what could've been done to keep Brown from dying.
              Yes, you are making excuses for him. See above.

Again, for now I'm accepting his testimony, although technically, he said that they were moving out of the street when he noticed the cigarillos. It was at that point that he drove back around and cut them off to confront them.

Once again, I am accepting the explanation for now. Additionally, I can believe that he was the perpetrator and a victim.

Yes, and in real life, mace and tasers exist precisely to slow down and stop someone who's threatening you.

That's what I'm disputing. Wilson has every right to self-defense, but I'm still hesitant to declare that he should've used deadly (rather than simply disabling) force.

If we truly consider ourselves pro-life, then we have to consistently apply this great value and regard for life to everyone, not just to the unborn. The mere fact that a person's life was being threatened does not give that person the right to end the life of the one threatening him, unless literally every other option has been exhausted...and I'm not sure that was the case.
              1. Tazers don't always work. They have to penetrate the clothing, they have to stick. And they have to actually take down the guy. My brother told me that when they were training on tazers, they had one guy that fought through it. And as far as pepper spray goes, there are some people who can fight through that, and some that it does not affect at all. Wilson already knew his life was in danger because Brown had already tried to get his gun. His training was to meet deadly threat with deadly force and he did so. No matter what you think or how much you want to be an armchair quarterback, you were not there. The witnesses corroborated Wilson's testimony. All you have is "well I think he should have been able to blah blah blah"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                considering they just got the tazers, no.
                Then they clearly weren't a very well-prepared department.

And you know this because of your vast knowledge of pepper spray and police work?

He just tried to grab Wilson's gun and slammed him in the car. Excuse him if it took him too long to play TV cop fast enough for you.
                I can't excuse that, because police officers have to be held to higher standards than civilians and have to be able to think quickly under pressure. He apparently made up his mind after the initial scare that he was going to use deadly force no matter what, which is a problem.

1. Tazers don't always work. They have to penetrate the clothing, they have to stick. And they have to actually take down the guy. My brother told me that when they were training on tazers, they had one guy that fought through it. And as far as pepper spray goes, there are some people who can fight through that, and some that it does not affect at all.
                And sometimes a charging suspect is wearing bulletproof material or is agile enough to (combined with a shaky hand from the shooter) dodge bullets. Citing rare instances in which something might not work is hardly good reason to not even consider using it.

Wilson already knew his life was in danger because Brown had already tried to get his gun.
                Yes, and then Brown RAN AWAY without the gun and was quite a distance from Wilson, and hence AFTER the initial scuffle, Wilson's life was no longer in immediate danger. You shouldn't be allowed to shoot someone who isn't currently immediately threatening you just because earlier he was immediately threatening you.

His training was to meet deadly threat with deadly force and he did so.
                And it doesn't once even cross your mind that the police training standards could be flawed and wrong? Instead, you just accept police training standards as divinely-revealed dogma?

No matter what you think or how much you want to be an armchair quarterback, you were not there. The witnesses corroborated Wilson's testimony. All you have is "well I think he should have been able to blah blah blah"
                My analysis was done entirely within the bounds of his testimony.

Comment

Yes, and then Brown RAN AWAY without the gun and was quite a distance from Wilson, and hence AFTER the initial scuffle, Wilson's life was no longer in immediate danger. You shouldn't be allowed to shoot someone who isn't currently immediately threatening you just because earlier he was immediately threatening you.
                  Yes you should. Especially if you're a cop and you have a duty to make sure someone like that isn't a threat to the public.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Yes you should. Especially if you're a cop and you have a duty to make sure someone like that isn't a threat to the public.
                    Plus, Wilson didn't shoot again until Brown turned BACK around and charged him. That, for some reason, peggie keeps skipping over.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You know, your majesty, you need to stop making a fool of yourself and ignoring things you don't want to hear. Brown wasn't shot again until AFTER he turned around and AFTER he started to charge Officer Wilson. A fact that seems to escape you because you don't care about the truth. Anyway, this entire thing is a real simple concept that even you can understand (and one found in the Bible):

You reap what you sew.

If you live a life steeped in violence (like strong arm robbing a convince store or attacking a police officer), there is a real possibility that same sort of violence can be returned onto you. Instead of trying to defend a man that and chosen a life of violence, perhaps you should condemn violence for the soul sucking thing it truly is. As long as people glorify this sort of stuff, make excuses for it, etc. it will continue.
                      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Plus, Wilson didn't shoot again until Brown turned BACK around and charged him. That, for some reason, peggie keeps skipping over.
                        Sort of like how my username is clearly "square_peg" but you keep skipping over that fact?

Besides, I'm not skipping over it. I'm aware that Wilson claimed that Brown was charging at him, but because Brown was unarmed, he STILL wasn't an immediate threat while doing that--he'd have to be within striking distance to again constitute such a threat. I'm also aware that Wilson claimed that the fatal shot was fired when Brown was eight to ten feet away, but he started firing well before Brown entered that zone.

Comment

Besides, I'm not skipping over it. I'm aware that Wilson claimed that Brown was charging at him, but because Brown was unarmed, he STILL wasn't an immediate threat while doing that--he'd have to be within striking distance to again constitute such a threat. I'm also aware that Wilson claimed that the fatal shot was fired when Brown was eight to ten feet away, but he started firing well before Brown entered that zone.
                          So he should've waited until he got within arms' length to allow the odds to even a little, even after Brown had already gone after his gun once?
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            So he should've waited until he got within arms' length to allow the odds to even a little, even after Brown had already gone after his gun once?
                            Well, no; that's why I've argued in nearly all my posts in this thread that Wilson could've tased (and thereby should've brought a taser) or sprayed pepper spray at Brown before he could get into striking range.

Comment

Well, no; that's why I've argued in nearly all my posts in this thread that Wilson could've tased (and thereby should've brought a taser) or sprayed pepper spray at Brown before he could get into striking range.
                              Did he have a taser or pepper spray? Not that either of those is fool-proof. Brown knew Wilson had a gun pointed at him, yet still charged him anyway; I'm not sure less than deadly force would've fazed him.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

This whole Ferguson incident, and the responses in this thread. highlight(s) the disturbing fact that many Americans just can't imagine solutions to a problem that don't involve a gun.

Comment