Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrat Congressman Engages In Insurrection At The Capitol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

I suppose you read minds as well. Yes like pulling an alarm. Whether his intent was in trying to delay a vote or not is in question. That may or may not have been his intent, but that's just your rush to judgement opinion.
    It's a possibility, but it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense since democrats could delay the vote as long as they wished at the proceeding itself whiich,, as I already pointed out, they did just that.
    Their delaying tactics had petered out and a vote had been called when he pulled the alarm.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

According to that extreme right wing rag NPR....

Rep. Jamaal Bowman of New York says he mistakenly triggered a fire alarm in a congressional office building Saturday afternoon as elected officials were preparing to vote on a spending bill to avert a potential government shutdown.

and...

Paul Starks, a spokesperson for the United States Capitol Police, said a fire alarm was activated at 12:05 p.m. Saturday on the second floor of the Cannon House Office Building. USCP officers initiated an evacuation and checked the building, he added.

"The building was reopened after it was determined that there was not a threat," Starks said. "An investigation into what happened and why continues."

Bowman said he met with the Sergeant at Arms and the Capitol Police after the vote to explain what occurred.

Perhaps Starlight doesn't know his AM from his PM

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        CBS also confirmed it was Saturday afternoon and not after dark.

But as I noted, it isn't as if it were dark outside would make any difference. The building is well lit so it wouldn't be like he was forced to fumble about in the dark.
        But it IS amusing to see the usual suspects try to defend this arrogance.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I suppose you read minds as well. Yes like pulling an alarm. Whether his intent was in trying to delay a vote or not is in question. That may or may not have been his intent, but that's just your rush to judgement opinion.
          It's a possibility, but it also doesn't make a whole lot of sense since democrats could delay the vote as long as they wished at the proceeding itself whiich,, as I already pointed out, they did just that.
          Again I've made no rush to judgement. I take this as you being unable to support - as requested - your accusation that I lied, so your post will be reported

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

JimL. You are not supposed to go through Emergency Exit Only doors unless there is an emergency. It was clearly marked. That he wanted to go through those doors anyway is not an accident. It is either stupidity, he thinks he is above the law, or he did it deliberately to cause a panic and stop the vote. Being a representative I would hope he isn't stupid.

Trying to go through an Emergency Exit ONLY door and pulling a fire alarm in order to get through the door is not a "mistake"
            First off, I think you are mistaken. Emergency exits are usually locked from the outside only, but can still be used, opened from the inside in order to leave a building. In this case Bowmen said they wouldn't open. Like I said, I don't know whether he's lying about that or not, but the video would show whether he tried to open the doors or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Or his elbow from his ... other anatomical parts?

Yeah, I never go with "12 PM" --- I'll say NOON or "Noon-thirty" or something.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll bet that his source likely confused the later Senate vote for the House vote.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

First off, I think you are mistaken. Emergency exits are usually locked from the outside only, but can still be used, opened from the inside in order to leave a building.
                  Watch it now, you're repeating what I said, and Starlight blasted me for it.

In this case Bowmen said they wouldn't open.
                  Where did he say that? Actual citation, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                    People, even smart people like yourself, are capable of doing stupid things. People here have claimed that the doors can always open from the inside. I don't know if that is true, but Bowmen says they wouldn't open. If he's lying about that, then why has no one in Congress or the Capitol police that are familiar with that exit contradicted Bowmen in that regard. If all he did was go straight to the alarm and set it off then we'd have the answer. That it was deliberate! If he actually tried to open the door first, and then looked for and set of the alarm, then we would also have the answer. It was a mistake. Pretty simple. Where's the video!
                    No, he didn't go straight for the alarm. According to people who have seen the video, he first calmly removed the signs signifying the doors were an emergency exit, pushed the handle, then turned and pulled the alarm before scurrying away to leave the building through a different door.

Notice what's missing in the description: he didn't try the doors again after pulling the alarm when his boneheaded excuse is he thought that's how he could unlock them. Instead, he ran away and easily found another door to leave through.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Star chose to use the "he's that stupid" defense. My guess would be arrogance - "I need to get out, so that doesn't apply to me".
                      Could be a combination of stupidity AND arrogance (which to me sounds like a description of a typical congressperson), along with a dash of panic at being late to an important vote.

He may not have taken time to read the signs (or understand them), and we know (from reading the signs) that just pushing on the bar wouldn't open the door right away.

He's probably going to get the benefit of the doubt as to whether it was his intent to delay the vote, given that he's willing to let people believe he just did something really stupid.

Comment

First off, I think you are mistaken. Emergency exits are usually locked from the outside only, but can still be used, opened from the inside in order to leave a building. In this case Bowmen said they wouldn't open. Like I said, I don't know whether he's lying about that or not, but the video would show whether he tried to open the doors or not.
                        Whether they opened or not, he was NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THROUGH THE DOORS UNLESS THERE WAS AN EMERGENCY. How hard is that to understand?

He should not have tried to go through the doors in the first place. That he then set off a fire alarm in an attempt to go through the emergency doors is the icing on the cake. He broke the law. On purpose.

Comment

No, this thread is exposing the double standards of people like you and JimL. Thank you for proving the point.
                          nope. For there to be a double standard, you'd need to have two events that were 'the same', and then apply two different standards to them. This charade there is anything comparable here is lunacy. So no there is no double standard, just lunacy and gaslighting on the part of any morons claiming there is any comparison to jan 6

EtA: arguments what he did was wrong, or potentially pre-meditated apart from the lunacy it compares to jan6, otoh, are legit.
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-02-2023, 11:08 AM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Could be a combination of stupidity AND arrogance (which to me sounds like a description of a typical congressperson), along with a dash of panic at being late to an important vote.

He may not have taken time to read the signs (or understand them), and we know (from reading the signs) that just pushing on the bar wouldn't open the door right away.

He's probably going to get the benefit of the doubt as to whether it was his intent to delay the vote, given that he's willing to let people believe he just did something really stupid.
                            No he's going to get the benefit of the doubt because he's a Democrat in a Democrat rum district with Democrat manned courts.

Comment

Trying to use a fire exit for convenience sake is still against the law even if he claims he's "just" an arrogant imbecile.

Comment

I doubt there was any panic - anxiety, perhaps.

But there are TWO signs very clearly explaining a 30 second delay - and he, apparently, removed those signs - and it wouldn't be because he didn't understand them.
                                (It sounds like you're lining up with Star and JimL on the "stupidity defense")
                                Do we really need somebody that dumb in Congress?

I haven't weighed in on the "delay the vote" aspect, because I don't know.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 10-02-2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment