Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrat Congressman Engages In Insurrection At The Capitol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That is pretty much the way every fire exit I've ever encountered works
    You mean you can go through the door and the alarm sounds? Yeah, but not this one.

This is the sign usually on emergency only exits. He probably thought these worked the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

Looks guilty. Should be censured and subject to removal from the House.

-Sam
      Should be.

Won't be.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You mean you can go through the door and the alarm sounds? Yeah, but not this one.

This is the sign usually on emergency only exits. He probably thought these worked the same way.

That's my point. That's what he and virtually everyone else has experience with, and what he expected.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That is pretty much the way every fire exit I've ever encountered works
          Meh --- have you actually encountered EMERGENCY EXIT doors that stay locked for THIRTY SECONDS after you are required to push the panic bar for 3 full seconds?
          Most just allow you to bust on through, and those with alarms will sound the alarm as you exit.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Meh --- have you actually encountered EMERGENCY EXIT doors that stay locked for THIRTY SECONDS after you are required to push the panic bar for 3 full seconds?
            Most just allow you to bust on through, and those with alarms will sound the alarm as you exit.
            That was what I was referencing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Never. It seem like a very dangerous thing to do. If there is a panicked crowd trying to exit a door that remained locked for 30 seconds a lot of damage could happen. People could get crushed or hurt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Never. It seem like a very dangerous thing to do. If there is a panicked crowd trying to exit a door that remained locked for 30 seconds a lot of damage could happen. People could get crushed or hurt.
                It seems likely (to me) that this was probably a compromise between security and safety, designed for the ability to check the door for a security threat before it actually opens. (Though, it seems like it creates a situation where security isn't really helped and safety is hampered)

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It seems likely (to me) that this was probably a compromise between security and safety, designed for the ability to check the door for a security threat before it actually opens. (Though, it seems like it creates a situation where security isn't really helped and safety is hampered)
                  Like a "solution" hammered out by a government committee.

Comment

Why do government solutions always seem to create more problems?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I can see the two competing points. Congress feels like they have a higher threat risk, so they want to have extra protections. I can imagine that the thought is that by forcing 30 seconds of waiting it gives security a chance to check the camera for a security breach that they can react to. But, I seriously doubt that 30 seconds is really enough to do any real reaction, and you and others have pointed out the risk to safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I can see the two competing points. Congress feels like they have a higher threat risk, so they want to have extra protections. I can imagine that the thought is that by forcing 30 seconds of waiting it gives security a chance to check the camera for a security breach that they can react to. But, I seriously doubt that 30 seconds is really enough to do any real reaction, and you and others have pointed out the risk to safety.
                        Maybe make some doors exits only with no real way to open them from the outside.

Comment

• Bottom line - this guy knew exactly what he was doing, and he obviously was NOT trying to exit --- he's a lying troublemaker with a history of such.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Maybe make some doors exits only with no real way to open them from the outside.
                            I believe the goal would've been someone letting a person in...Not sure.

Comment

• What seems obvious by the type of door installed was that the US Capitol Police couldn't trust the congresspersons to act like adults.

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

Comment