Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrat Congressman Engages In Insurrection At The Capitol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    No, it was probably because they were balanced on the bars he wanted to push.
    You know, you actually raise an interesting point --- the signs do, indeed, appear to be simply "balanced" there, suggesting that if ANYBODY had gone through those doors, the signs would have simply fallen off.

It's like - you know - NOBODY ELSE was birdbrained stupid enough to try to "escape the vestibule" that way.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

He's definitely an emotional twit, based on non-related YouTube videos of him that I've seen. He was screaming about gun control (IIRC) in the hallway and making a scene. I can seen him making a bad knee-jerk decision out of an emotional tirade.
      A lot of these tirades are designed specifically for the Twitterverse and TikTok. IIRC, there were videos of him immediately before and after and he is acting anything but emotional. Basically, it was showtime and he put on a performance like someone flicking a switch.

Politics is becoming increasingly like that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        As a former teacher and principal, he absolutely knew what he was doing. He knows what a fire alarm looks like; they are designed to be obviously what they are. He knows they won't open doors. The only question remaining is why he did it. The obvious reason would be an attempt to disrupt the proceedings.
        It was probably because he was a principal that he even thought of this tactic. Students pulling the fire alarm to cause an evacuation and get out of class is something he probably encountered in his tenure as a Principal. He figured he could do the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It's like they take a vow to all act stupid whenever one of them does something moronic so that they don't stand out and hopefully looks normal.
          I get it. There was a "vestibule" emergency. They happen all the time.

Comment

• I have to admit I'm getting a kick out of liberals rushing to defend a fellow Democrat with the "but you just don't understand how STUPID Democrats are in real life!"

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I have to admit I'm getting a kick out of liberals rushing to defend a fellow Democrat with the "but you just don't understand how STUPID Democrats are in real life!"

I know, right? They are arguing that Bowman is too stupid to know how doors or fire alarms work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I know, right? They are arguing that Bowman is too stupid to know how doors or fire alarms work.
                Kinda like black people are too stupid to get drivers licenses and photo IDs What a bunch of racist ninnies!

(sarcasm - but only kinda)

Comment

How do you accidentally pull a big red lever that says "FIRE ALARM" on it?

54TT19_AS01?$adapimg$&hei=536&wid=536.jpg
                  You read the sign wrong:

"PULL UNTIL ALARM SOUNDS"

vs.

"PULL UNTIL
                  ALARM SOUNDS"

But it's useless to argue about this. We don't have the video and that's what's going to be determinative one way or another (unless Bowman told somebody that he was going to do something to delay the vote). Everyone can spend 20 days squabbling and have a big pot of nothing to show for it at the end or we can wait to see if the video is released as part of a charging decision or Ethics Committee report.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

You read the sign wrong:

vs.

"PULL UNTIL
                    ALARM SOUNDS"

But it's useless to argue about this. We don't have the video and that's what's going to be determinative one way or another (unless Bowman told somebody that he was going to do something to delay the vote). Everyone can spend 20 days squabbling and have a big pot of nothing to show for it at the end or we can wait to see if the video is released as part of a charging decision or Ethics Committee report.

-Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

You read the sign wrong:

vs.

"PULL UNTIL
                      ALARM SOUNDS"

-Sam
                      I posted that before I knew about the door signs. But the door signs say "PUSH until alarm sounds" - was your post a typo?

Still pulling a fire alarm is going too far just because he was "in a hurry"

Comment

I posted that before I knew about the door signs. But the door signs say "PUSH until alarm sounds" - was your post a typo?

Still pulling a fire alarm is going too far just because he was "in a hurry"

No, though the formatting didn't quite work after submission. The sign can be read either "horizontally" or "vertically" and, while most people almost all the time will read the sign topline -> bottomline, some people tend to read (and maybe everyone does every now and then) left -> right, such that "PUSH UNTIL ALARM SOUNDS" becomes read as "PUSH ALARM UNTIL SOUNDS" (this has happened to me with door signage rarely, thankfully without an alarm trigger).

In short, there's a readable way that Bowman, pushing against a door that won't open, studies the signage in a hurry and mistakenly believes that pushing/pulling the alarm will open the door. But it's still an emergency exit, still going to sound an alarm. And so we'll still have to wait to see video in order to gauge whether this was an intentional effort to delay a congressional proceeding or a moment of rank stupidity (and we've all had 'em).

-Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Whether they opened or not, he was NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THROUGH THE DOORS UNLESS THERE WAS AN EMERGENCY. How hard is that to understand?
                          Says who. You can still use emergency exit doors to leave a building, if the door is not locked. The door according to Bowmen was locked.

He should not have tried to go through the doors in the first place. That he then set off a fire alarm in an attempt to go through the emergency doors is the icing on the cake. He broke the law. On purpose.
                          As above, it is not illegal to use emergency exit doors. They are simply marked emergency because they are not the usual doors used to enter or leave a building.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Their delaying tactics had petered out and a vote had been called when he pulled the alarm.
                            Malarkey. They can delay as long as they want. No time limits.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Says who. You can still use emergency exit doors to leave a building, if the door is not locked. The door according to Bowmen was locked.
                              You keep saying things you can't back up, Jim. Where did he say the door was locked?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post

Malarkey. They can delay as long as they want. No time limits.
                                Funny, the Biden Admin disagrees....

Biden signs stopgap measure to avert shutdown ahead of midnight deadline

President Joe Biden signed into law the stopgap bill to avert a government shutdown passed by Congress just hours ahead of a critical midnight deadline when funding for federal agencies was set to run out.

The Senate passed the measure Saturday evening after the House abruptly reversed course earlier in the day and passed a bipartisan bill to extend government funding after days of uncertainty over whether a shutdown could be averted.

“Tonight, bipartisan majorities in the House and Senate voted to keep the government open, preventing an unnecessary crisis that would have inflicted needless pain on millions of hardworking Americans,” Biden said in a statement Saturday. He also slammed House Republicans for the last-minute scramble, adding, “We should never have been in this position in the first place.”

There most certainly was a time limit.

Comment