Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Dems' Trump Card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Your explanation describes a prosecutor looking for a crime to charge. Very much the feel of contrivance.
    I think it was more a matter of which crime to charge, out of multiple possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Pun intended. They will sentence Trump to Jail on the 11th of July...To prevent him from campaigning and to scare mega doners. The media is already pushing for live coverage,
      If it were anyone other than Trump, an ex-president with a conservative, Trump appointed, slow walking, corrupt court, Trump would have been in prison a long time ago. Be glad that your corrupt, morally corrupt, and treasonous hero is still a free man and has another shot at overthrowing American democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think it was more a matter of which crime to charge, out of multiple possibilities.
        That statement makes the contrived nature of russian doll nature of the predicate crimes AND the fact that the felony upgrade was charged solo all the more confusing. After all, if there were multiple possibilities, why go through the process of artificially piecing together a case like this one?

Comment

That statement makes the contrived nature of russian doll nature of the predicate crimes AND the fact that the felony upgrade was charged solo all the more confusing. After all, if there were multiple possibilities, why go through the process of artificially piecing together a case like this one?
          I wonder if you Trump defenders truly believe that Trump is completely innocent of all the charges against him. "Election fraud (paying off mistresses)", "fake electors scheme", "Pressuring Georgia Sec. of State to find 11,000 + votes", "Summoning and inciting mob on Jan 6th", "Pressuring the VP to violate his oath and reject states legitimate electors", "Dereliction on Jan 6th for 3 hours doing nothing to protect Capital under attack", "Obstructing the FBI from retrieving classified documents"

Or is it that you just don't care!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

I wonder if you Trump defenders truly believe that Trump is completely innocent of all the charges against him. "Election fraud (paying off mistresses)", "fake electors scheme", "Pressuring Georgia Sec. of State to find 11,000 + votes", "Summoning and inciting mob on Jan 6th", "Pressuring the VP to violate his oath and reject states legitimate electors", "Dereliction on Jan 6th for 3 hours doing nothing to protect Capital under attack", "Obstructing the FBI from retrieving classified documents"

Perhaps, some believe trying to artificially build cases in order to go after the political opposition is more dangerous than the crime that that opposition is charged against.

Comment

Perhaps, some believe trying to artificially build cases in order to go after the political opposition is more dangerous than the crime that that opposition is charged against.
              Naturally, the left would cry bloody murder if the shoe was on the other foot, even if the crimes being charged were legitimately chargeable crimes. You can already hear them crying about it now in anticipation in the event Trump gets elected even before he's gotten elected.

Comment

For every crime that Trump is suspected of having committed, it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he's guilty. The reason that Bragg chose not to charge Trump with a crime for falsely inflating his net worth is that it would be hard to prove criminal intent. His judgment was that there would be a better chance of conviction with the hush money case. I don't think Bragg had any doubt in either case that Trump was guilty.

Comment

For every crime that Trump is suspected of having committed, it's difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he's guilty. The reason that Bragg chose not to charge Trump with a crime for falsely inflating his net worth is that it would be hard to prove criminal intent. His judgment was that there would be a better chance of conviction with the hush money case. I don't think Bragg had any doubt in either case that Trump was guilty.
                  This circles back around to animosity and contriving a set of charges because he "knows" the person he doesn't like must be guilty of "something"

Comment

This circles back around to animosity and contriving a set of charges because he "knows" the person he doesn't like must be guilty of "something"
                    I don't know that he started out with any animosity towards Trump. And I don't think it's uncommon (or wrong) for prosecutors to believe that someone has broken the law before they figure out how to prove it to a jury.

Comment

I don't know that he started out with any animosity towards Trump. And I don't think it's uncommon (or wrong) for prosecutors to believe that someone has broken the law before they figure out how to prove it to a jury.
                      He campaigned on prosecuting Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        While I would like to see white collar criminals in general get more serious penalties than they do... unfortunately they have a tendency to just get slapped on the wrist. So I find it hard to see Trump going to jail for his crimes, even though I think he should.
                        Anyone who can change a misdemeanor on which the statute of limitations ran out into a couple dozen felonies can pretty much do what they want.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

His entire campaign for DA was based upon "getting Trump."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

A combination

Comment

He campaigned on prosecuting Trump.
                              As far as I can tell, that's not true. Bragg never promised to prosecute Trump.

​​​​​​https://www.politifact.com/article/2...y-alvin-bragg/

​​​​​​https://www.newsweek.com/did-alvin-b...iction-1906705

Comment

As far as I can tell, that's not true. Bragg never promised to prosecute Trump.
                                It's not hard to find.

Comment