Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS Overturns 1984 Chevron Case, Curtailing US Agency Regulatory Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTUS Overturns 1984 Chevron Case, Curtailing US Agency Regulatory Power

Probably the most important SCOTUS decision outside of the overturn of Roe in the last several decades.

A family fishing company, Loper Bright Enterprises, was being driven out of business because they couldn't afford the $700 per day they were being charged by the National Marine Fisheries Service to monitor their company. But here's the thing: federal law doesn't authorize NMFS to charge businesses for this. They simply decided to start doing it in 2013. But why did they think they could away with just charging people without any legal authorization?

Because in 1984, in the Chevron decision, the Supreme Court decided that regulatory agencies were the "experts" in their field, and the courts should just defer to their "interpretation" of the law. So for the past 40 years, federal agencies have been able to "interpret" laws to mean whatever they want, and the courts had to just go with it.

It was called Chevron Deference, and it put bureaucrats in charge of the country. It's how the OHSA was able to decide that everyone who worked for a large company had to get the jab during covid, or be fired. No law gave them that authority, they just made it up. It's how the ATF was able to decide a piece of plastic was a "machine gun". It's how the NCRS was able to decide that a small puddle was a "protected wetlands".

It's how out-of-control agencies have been able to create rules out of thin air, and force people and companies to comply, and the courts had to simply defer to them, because they were the "experts". Imagine if your local police could just arrest you, for any reason, and no judge or jury was allowed to determine if you'd actually committed a crime or not. Just off to jail you go. That's what Chevron Deference was.

It was flagrantly uncconstitutional, and caused immeasurable harm to everyone. Now it's gone and politicians are having a hernia over its removal because it removes power from their unelected agency bureaucrats.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-c...be415ceaf8d665
    The Supreme Court weakens federal regulators, overturning decades-old Chevron decision

The Supreme Court on Friday upended a 40-year-old decision that made it easier for the federal government to regulate the environment, public health, workplace safety and consumer protections, delivering a far-reaching and potentially lucrative victory to business interests.

The court’s six conservative justices overturned the 1984 decision colloquially known as Chevron, long a target of conservatives who have been motivated as much by weakening the regulatory state as social issues including abortion. The liberal justices were in dissent.

The case was the conservative-dominated court’s clearest and boldest repudiation yet of what critics of regulation call the administrative state.

Billions of dollars are potentially at stake in challenges that could be spawned by the high court’s ruling. The Biden administration’s top Supreme Court lawyer had warned such a move would be an “unwarranted shock to the legal system.”

The heart of the Chevron decision says federal agencies should be allowed to fill in the details when laws aren’t crystal clear. Opponents of the decision argued that it gave power that should be wielded by judges to experts who work for the government.

Yep, I saw a YouTube video of some NBC talking potato frothing about it.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Slave4Christ View Post
      Probably the most important SCOTUS decision outside of the overturn of Roe in the last several decades.

A family fishing company, Loper Bright Enterprises, was being driven out of business because they couldn't afford the $700 per day they were being charged by the National Marine Fisheries Service to monitor their company. But here's the thing: federal law doesn't authorize NMFS to charge businesses for this. They simply decided to start doing it in 2013. But why did they think they could away with just charging people without any legal authorization?

Because in 1984, in the Chevron decision, the Supreme Court decided that regulatory agencies were the "experts" in their field, and the courts should just defer to their "interpretation" of the law. So for the past 40 years, federal agencies have been able to "interpret" laws to mean whatever they want, and the courts had to just go with it.

It was called Chevron Deference, and it put bureaucrats in charge of the country. It's how the OHSA was able to decide that everyone who worked for a large company had to get the jab during covid, or be fired. No law gave them that authority, they just made it up. It's how the ATF was able to decide a piece of plastic was a "machine gun". It's how the NCRS was able to decide that a small puddle was a "protected wetlands".

It's how out-of-control agencies have been able to create rules out of thin air, and force people and companies to comply, and the courts had to simply defer to them, because they were the "experts". Imagine if your local police could just arrest you, for any reason, and no judge or jury was allowed to determine if you'd actually committed a crime or not. Just off to jail you go. That's what Chevron Deference was.

It was flagrantly uncconstitutional, and caused immeasurable harm to everyone. Now it's gone and politicians are having a hernia over its removal because it removes power from their unelected agency bureaucrats.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-c...be415ceaf8d665
      Chevron is one of those signs that shows good ideas can lead to unintentional consequences.

On its face, the chevron decision makes sense. If there's ambiguity, let the experts make the call.

However, once codified, it became a problem. It consolidated lots of power in the executive branch. Congress could opt out of trying to write good law, because they could let the agencies do it. The judicial branch didn't have to deal with it because the experts decided.

And the "experts"? Well, the president could write EOs directing the direction the "experts" should decide things. That wasn't the intention behind chevron.

Comment

Originally posted by Slave4Christ View Post

About time....

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I've never been happy with unelected bureaucrats being able to essentially write and enforce laws without it having to go through Congress, and depriving the "convicted" of a right to trial or appeal, so I'm happy to see the Supreme Court make this ruling.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I hope you enjoyed not having lead in your food, water, or air. ...
            The relationship between the President and the people he serves has shifted irrevocably. In every use of official power, the President is now a king above the law. -- Justice Sotomayor, dissent in Trump v. United States

Comment

Originally posted by VonTastrophe View Post
              Perhaps if agencies didn't engage in regulatory overreach and charge a small family enterprise $700 a day, there would be less cause for dismantling the regulatory State.
              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

How about if the Congress writes and passes precise, unambiguous law?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

How about if the Congress writes and passes precise, unambiguous law?
                  It's impossible for Congress to micromanage the county. Regulatory administration is required. At best, a special court could be established (and funded by taxes) to adjudicate appeals between citizens and agencies.
                  P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

It's impossible for Congress to micromanage the county. Regulatory administration is required. At best, a special court could be established (and funded by taxes) to adjudicate appeals between citizens and agencies.
                    That's just it, Congress shouldn't be trying to micromanage the country. According to the Constitution, the majority of the power rests in the hands of the states, not the Federal government.

Comment

Yeah, cause we know that's what conservatives want - including for our own children / grandchildren....
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's just it, Congress shouldn't be trying to micromanage the country. According to the Constitution, the majority of the power rests in the hands of the states, not the Federal government.
                        The very purpose of the Constitution was to strengthen the federal government due to the problems with the Articles of Confederation. Congress can delegate powers to agencies via specific acts.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The very purpose of the Constitution was to strengthen the federal government due to the problems with the Articles of Confederation. Congress can delegate powers to agencies via specific acts.
                          I beg to differ with you here yes the Articles of Confederation did give all the power to the states which of course did not work very well. The framers of The Constitution did not want an all powerful Federal Government, so they gave the Federal Government limited Powers to Promote(not provide) the general welfare for the people) any Power not enumerated in the Constitution as being given to the Federal Government is left to the States; 9th amendment.

​​​​​​

Comment

The problem comes when those agencies are able to create and enforce what are effectively laws without going through the process defined by the Constitution.

Comment