Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    FWICT... Zero. This is all about a delay in making committee appointments and the like. The government itself is not grinding to a halt.
    That’s not what I heard. I think you are about a week and a half away from disaster. I will need to check.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

That’s not what I heard. I think you are about a week and a half away from disaster. I will need to check.
      Only if it goes on long enough that they can't pass another spending bill, and given that they just recently passed the $1.7 TRILLION funding bill -- which ironically is one of the root causes for what we are witnessing now -- that shouldn't come up too soon.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just think. if congress doesn't get paid their exorbitant salaries, and they can't authorize any more spending bills, we could eliminate the national debt!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Just think. if congress doesn't get paid their exorbitant salaries, and they can't authorize any more spending bills, we could eliminate the national debt!
          Yeah, I'm not terribly worried when their "work" gets sidelined by stuff like this.

Like when somebody complains about "gridlock" keeping the politicians from "doing their job" - it's like "OK, as long as they're duking it out with each other, they're not doing more damage to our Republic".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How many government employees and their dependents will go unpaid or unsupported if the House can't function? And who else in the economy benefits from their disposable income. And what about businesses that depend on government contracts, and so on?

They might enjoy the spectacle for a little while, but that will turn to anger soon enough.
            Government employees that go unpaid = zero. Since the budget has already been passed, government contracts go on as usual.

At this point, the economic impact is zero.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Looks like McCarthy is making headway...

McCarthy: 213
              Jeffries: 211
              Other: 7
              Present: 0

4 were absent.

Comment

No. Their idea of a disaster is if their Cadillac health insurance doesn't get funded, or their vacation plans get canceled. The news media's idea of a disaster is anything that can sell their news.

Comment

Looks like McCarthy is making headway...

McCarthy: 213
                  Jeffries: 211
                  Other: 7
                  Present: 0

4 were absent.
                  He also switched 2 more hardliners, including the leader of the freedom caucus and one of the 5 original naysayers.
                  ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

He also switched 2 more hardliners, the leader of the freedom caucus and one of the 5 original never Mccarthy.
                    ​​​​​

Comment

• Very close now to McCarthy win and a very powerful hard right wing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

He also switched 2 more hardliners, including the leader of the freedom caucus and one of the 5 original naysayers.
                        ​​​​​
                        what did he have to promise them?

Comment

what did he have to promise them?
                          I think it will basically come out that the right-wing tail will wag the House dog.

Probably nothing of Biden's agenda will get through so depending on your POV that's either good or bad. Will be interesting to see how many Republicans cross over to support Democratic agenda items.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I think it will basically come out that the right-wing tail will wag the House dog.

Probably nothing of Biden's agenda will get through so depending on your POV that's either good or bad. Will be interesting to see how many Republicans cross over to support Democratic agenda items.
                            The first battles will likely be over the border and continual whatever-you-ask-for funding of Ukraine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• 13th vote happening now. On a Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                The first battles will likely be over the border and continual whatever-you-ask-for funding of Ukraine.
                                I get the concerns about whatever-you-ask-for funding of Ukraine. I just hope the funding doesn't go to zero.

Comment