Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

what did he have to promise them?
    One was 2 seats on the rules committee, seats in other committees and if one of those who switched lowered from 5 members to 1 the ability to call McCarthy's speaker ship into question if they feel he is not doing what they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

One was 2 seats on the rules committee, seats in other committees and if one of those who switched lowered from 5 members to 1 the ability to call McCarthy's speaker ship into question if they feel he is not doing what they want.
      If he offered them free bacon for a year he would be speaker already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I get the concerns about whatever-you-ask-for funding of Ukraine. I just hope the funding doesn't go to zero.
        Incredibly doubtful. But a little oversight sure would be nice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

13th vote happening now. On a Friday.
          What is engulfing though though the only nominees were McCarthy and Jeffries this.

Comment

• Bob Good, one of the final five, talked on Politico - Playbook Deep Dive.

Rep. Bob Good (R-Va.) and his allies are trying to end Kevin McCarthy’s reign as leader of the House Republicans. Good is one of five Republicans in the far-right Freedom Caucus vowing to block McCarthy’s path to the 218 votes needed to become Speaker of the House. The two have a history.

In 2020, Good was running for Congress to represent Virginia’s 5th Congressional District. Incidentally, also home to the race between James Madison and James Monroe to be the district’s first representative in Congress. Madison won. While Good was running for Congress, Kevin McCarthy tried to consolidate power in the Republican House conference on his way to becoming Speaker. During his campaign, Good knocked out one of McCarthy’s loyal member’s at the GOP nominating convention. At a private meeting recently, Good and McCarthy had a heated exchange about events at the time.

On this episode of Playbook Deep Dive, Playbook co-author Rachael Bade went to the Hill to meet Good at his office and dig for details on the history of his relationship with McCarthy and whom Good and his allies intended to support for Speaker instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I can't help but compare McCarthy wanting to keep on going, no matter what, with the recently deceased Benedict XVI who stepped aside for what he believed was best for the RCC.
              McCarthy has by far most of the votes and support. It is the extreme radical 'election deniers' that holding up the party/

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

McCarthy has by far most of the votes and support. It is the extreme radical 'election deniers' that holding up the party/

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Looks like McCarthy is making headway...

McCarthy: 213
                  Jeffries: 211
                  Other: 7
                  Present: 0

4 were absent.

It would appear that your math is off.

213 to 211 is hardly by far most of the votes and support

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    It would appear that your math is off.

213 to 211 is hardly by far most of the votes and support
                    I think he meant in comparison to the other republicans who got votes.

Comment

The fact that folks like shuny and race-baiting disinformation networks like MSNBC are outright vilifying the Rep holdouts is all the more reason for them to stand firm to the end. And I have a very sneaky suspicion that if McCarthy squeaks in, the hold-outs are going to vindicated in the coming years.

Comment

• After some of the verbal flatus Dan Crenshaw emitted, I no longer feel any disappointment at Tucker referring to him as "Eye-Patch McCain" a while back.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          After some of the verbal flatus Dan Crenshaw emitted, I no longer feel any disappointment at Tucker referring to him as "Eye-Patch McCain" a while back.
                          I still can't quite figure him out.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                            After some of the verbal flatus Dan Crenshaw emitted, I no longer feel any disappointment at Tucker referring to him as "Eye-Patch McCain" a while back.
                            Calling them terrorists.

That's about as deranged rhetoric as you'd hear from the left. I'll never take anything that dude ever says again with any credibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

The fact that folks like shuny and race-baiting disinformation networks like MSNBC are outright vilifying the Rep holdouts is all the more reason for them to stand firm to the end. And I have a very sneaky suspicion that if McCarthy squeaks in, the hold-outs are going to vindicated in the coming years.
                              Yeah, I don't expect much from Republicans these days. I do hope that a McCarthy speakership will be slightly better than 2 more years of Pelosi or Jeffries.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Yeah, I don't expect much from Republicans these days. I do hope that a McCarthy speakership will be slightly better than 2 more years of Pelosi or Jeffries.
                                Won't make a difference. There's got to be a reason the entire establishment, both the left and right, are targeting the holdouts like they're absolute political trash. Investigations will go nowhere with McCarthy, which makes sense actually being the times we're in.

Comment