Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What's the difference between a flag and a $35 Donation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between a flag and a $35 Donation?

Simple question.
    Alito is being called to recuse himself because his wife hung a flag in a window many liberals says shows allegiance to Jan 6th rioters.
    Liberals on this site scoff at the fact that the judge in Trump's NY case donated "only $35" to an organization dedicated to helping Democrats and Stopping Trump.

So, what's the difference between these two situations, and WHY is it actually a meaningful difference.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Simple question.
    Alito is being called to recuse himself because his wife hung a flag in a window many liberals says shows allegiance to Jan 6th rioters.
    Liberals on this site scoff at the fact that the judge in Trump's NY case donated "only $35" to an organization dedicated to helping Democrats and Stopping Trump.

So, what's the difference between these two situations, and WHY is it actually a meaningful difference.
    The primary difference is that the American Bar Association Model Code of Judicial Conduct explicitly prohibits judges from making political donations of any kind while there is no such rule regarding a judge's spouse hanging a flag in a window.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The primary difference is that the American Bar Association Model Code of Judicial Conduct explicitly prohibits judges from making political donations of any kind while there is no such rule regarding a judge's spouse hanging a flag in a window.
      MM, are you saying that if the donation prohibition wasn't in the rulebook, that you would have no problem with the judge presiding over a criminal trial donating to an organization that is explicitly about "stopping" the named defendant?

Comment

On another separate note what is the difference between the wife of a SCOTUS justice flying the US flag upside down to signal disagreement over something, and a SCOTUS judge themself deliberately wearing something (her lacy "dissent" collar she wore to signal disagreement) to signal her displeasure over an election result?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

MM, are you saying that if the donation prohibition wasn't in the rulebook, that you would have no problem with the judge presiding over a criminal trial donating to an organization that is explicitly about "stopping" the named defendant?
          I'm removing my opinion from the equation and noting that there is a clear and unambiguous answer to your question.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm removing my opinion from the equation and noting that there is a clear and unambiguous answer to your question.
            If I was worried about strict legal technicalities, I wouldn't have asked the question, I'd have simply googled it.

Comment

Hanging a religious flag has nothing to do with Jan 6. It has to do with God. The entire association is made up.

Donating $35 to a fund to "stop Trump" and then being the judge on a case where you get to "stop Trump" is a direct conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Hanging a religious flag has nothing to do with Jan 6. It has to do with God. The entire association is made up.

Donating $35 to a fund to "stop Trump" and then being the judge on a case where you get to "stop Trump" is a direct conflict of interest.
                I mean, for those who claim Alito should recuse himself for hanging a flag, I think they'd have to say that Merchan SHOULD have recused himself for donating to an "Anti-Trump" organization...You would think the same logic would apply. (So far, none of our friends seem to think this is a question worth engaging)

Comment

Simple question.

Have any of the liberals on this site said Alito needs to recuse himself over the flag thing? I didn't see any of that, and just to be sure I did a search for "Alito flag" on the site and didn't still didn't see any. Now, on various other sites I've seen people making the claim Alito needs to recuse himself, so this would be a valid question to ask to them... but I haven't seen anyone here advancing that claim. This might be the wrong place to ask about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    Have any of the liberals on this site said Alito needs to recuse himself over the flag thing? I didn't see any of that, and just to be sure I did a search for "Alito flag" on the site and didn't still didn't see any. Now, on various other sites I've seen people making the claim Alito needs to recuse himself, so this would be a valid question to ask to them... but I haven't seen anyone here advancing that claim. This might be the wrong place to ask about it.
                    We have had those who argue about the $35 donation being no big deal, so it is worthwhile to see if they ALSO believe that merely hanging a flag is also no big deal.

Comment

Simple question.

Alito's wife didn't hang a flag in a window. Opposition to Trump doesn't transform anyone into a liberal. Liberals don't "says." Merchan didn't donate to a group that singled out Trump. Everyone says donating $35 to a political organization was a breach of ethics. That includes the state ethics panel that issued a caution over the donation over a year ago.

Get your facts straight, lose the partisan whackjob spin, and ask again if you want a real conversation.

From here, it looks like this is nothing more than your usual trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                        Alito's wife didn't hang a flag in a window. Opposition to Trump doesn't transform anyone into a liberal. Liberals don't "says." Merchan didn't donate to a group that singled out Trump. Everyone says donating $35 to a political organization was a breach of ethics. That includes the state ethics panel that issued a caution over the donation over a year ago.
                        Get your facts straight, lose the partisan whackjob spin, and ask again if you want a real conversation.
                        From here, it looks like this is nothing more than your usual trolling.
                        Washington Post didn't run the story because it was his wife, not him.
                        Source: https://apnews.com/article/washington-post-alito-flag-missed-story-d7cfd2e8f5271fc8987ea2b0206bb7bb

The Times, in its story that ran on May 16, said it had “recently obtained” photographs of the flag that flew outside of the Alito home. The Post, in its own story Saturday, said that it had been told of the story in January 2021 and investigated, choosing not to write about it because it appeared Alito’s wife was responsible and that it was not clear the neighborhood argument was over politics.

© Copyright Original Source

Merchan Donated $35 to Biden's campaign, $10 to Progressive Turnout Project, and $10 to Stop Republicans

Source: https://www.turnoutpac.org/stop-republicans/

ABOUT STOP REPUBLICANS
                        Stop Republicans, an accountability campaign of Progressive Turnout Project, is a grassroots-funded effort dedicated to resisting the Republican Party and Donald Trump’s radical right-wing legacy.

© Copyright Original Source

I'll leave you to your JimL style rant now.

Comment

I'll leave you to your JimL style rant now.
                          I'll leave you to trolling instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I'll leave you to trolling instead.
                            Facts are trolling, now?
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment