Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the issue over paid maternity leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah the government isn't Robin Hood. The government is who Robin Hood stole [back] from. They were the real thieves.
    Robin Hood was about as libertarian as you could get - living out in the forest, taking money back from the tax thieves.

Comment

• A better question than the one of the OP --- Why should others pay for a woman's maternity leave?

And where does it stop? Should we force employers to pay for employees to care for their sick parent? Time off to care for a dying spouse?

And it's interesting that those who are pro-abortion suddenly care about a living baby, and want to force somebody else to pay for that mother to care for the newborn.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        Imagine that, a thread about taking people's money and giving it to someone else via force thru government, had pecuniary issues as a continous thread through posts madebrespondingbto someone trying to interfere with personal pecuniarybissues. Who would have thought?

Notice that doesn't say "you lack one thing - go form a wasteful government bureaucracy and take money from other people by threat of imprisonment, and then redistribute a fraction of that to some poor people and to women on maternity leave"
        Christ is instructing us to give to the poor ourselves, not have a government forcibly take money from everyone.

No surprise that such a subtle difference would slip past H_A's notice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          A better question than the one of the OP --- Why should others pay for a woman's maternity leave?

And where does it stop? Should we force employers to pay for employees to care for their sick parent? Time off to care for a dying spouse?

And it's interesting that those who are pro-abortion suddenly care about a living baby, and want to force somebody else to pay for that mother to care for the newborn.
          Further, AFAICT, nobody is objecting to helping anybody. The resistance is against using coercion to make others do so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Christ is instructing us to give to the poor ourselves, not have a government forcibly take money from everyone.

No surprise that such a subtle difference would slip past H_A's notice.
            Why does she have a computer? If she cares so much for women who can't possibly make it without somebody paying them to take care of their newborns, H_A could sell all she has and give them the money!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In a thread discussing whether or not people should pay more taxes to support women who want to take maternity leave. Go figure.
              Some here are certainly very concerned with keeping their own purse-strings tightly shut rather than supporting social policies that would help alleviate preventable neonate and infant deaths and illness, as well as giving less affluent parents financial assistance to see them over the initial few weeks following the birth of a child..

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

In Mark 10.21 the instruction is quite clear.

That same chapter also has Jesus' comments on little children. Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.

However, for some posting to this thread a dollar or so [quite possibly less] on their tax bill is too great a price to pay to help many of the little children of the USA.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You are like a mugger calling his victim 'greedy' because he refuses to hand over his wallet.
                  I am simply referring to the self-centred pecuniary concerns of various contributors to this thread.,

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Although that WAS specific advice to a single individual, I am perfectly willing to give to the poor voluntarily as Jesus suggested and do so.
                  I guessed you would make that response to get yourself nicely out of actually recognising the text for what it states.

However, that isn't actually what Jesus says in Mark 10.21. He does not tell the young man to give a part of his wealth to the poor he tells him to "sell what you own" - in other words everything.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  But taxes are not 'giving to the poor' - that is the government picking my pocket and then giving a very teeny portion of that to 'the poor' while keeping the rest to line their own pockets.
                  I suspected you would find an excuse to justify the preoccupation of some here with Mammon.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 01-05-2022, 11:55 AM.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Some here
                    You frequently use this to preface your cowardly false accusation nonsense

are certainly very concerned with keeping their own purse-strings tightly shut rather than supporting social policies that would help alleviate preventable neonate and infant deaths and illness, as well as giving less affluent parents financial assistance to see them over the initial few weeks following the birth of a child..
                    If this is intended to include me (you're too cowardly to address specific individuals) it's a steaming pile of horsie poo. I pay all of the taxes required of me, and take all the exemptions due me for the charitable contributions I make outside the government system.

Further, our local pregnancy center, with which I am quite involved, offers WAY more assistance in a much more meaningful and caring way than any government program ever could.

Once again, you demonstrate your profound ignorance of how things actually work in our country.

Comment

I am simply referring to the self-centred pecuniary concerns of various contributors to this thread.,
                      You mean your cowardly false accusations and wild assumptions. You're a , and an incredibly ignorant and obnoxious one, at that.

Comment

...He does not tell the young man to give a part of his wealth to the poor he tells him to "sell what you own" - in other words everything....
                        He was speaking to that particular man about his own sinful condition, and there wasn't any hint whatsoever of government involvement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, we start off with this grand proposal to steal money from one person (or group of people) and give it to another person (or group of people) to make the latter more comfortable.

That's what liberals do - find (or invent) a need and "solve" it by stealing money from third parties.
                          Not to mention not wanting to pay for 12 weeks paid leave somehow turned into wanting poor people to suffer and being unchristian. If someone wants paid leave, that means they HAVE A JOB that normally pays their bills and affords them a living. They are not destitute. They just want to be paid while on maternity leave. Which is fine if the company wants to give it. But it is not MY responsibility. Any more than it was other people's responsibility to pay for my time off after I had heart surgery a couple of years ago. That leave was paid for by my company's benefits and supplemented by my using vacation days. If someone works at a business that doesn't have good benefits, then they have the freedom to work elsewhere. Right now businesses are begging for employees and even paying bonuses. No excuse to work at a business that doesn't give you the benefits you want.

Comment

Not to mention not wanting to pay for 12 weeks paid leave somehow turned into wanting poor people to suffer and being unchristian. If someone wants paid leave, that means they HAVE A JOB that normally pays their bills and affords them a living. They are not destitute. They just want to be paid while on maternity leave. Which is fine if the company wants to give it. But it is not MY responsibility. Any more than it was other people's responsibility to pay for my time off after I had heart surgery a couple of years ago. That leave was paid for by my company's benefits and supplemented by my using vacation days. If someone works at a business that doesn't have good benefits, then they have the freedom to work elsewhere. Right now businesses are begging for employees and even paying bonuses. No excuse to work at a business that doesn't give you the benefits you want.
                            Classic example of H_A starting a thread that blows up in her face, so she's endlessly derailing her own thread.

Comment

Some here are certainly very concerned with keeping their own purse-strings tightly shut rather than supporting social policies that would help alleviate preventable neonate and infant deaths and illness, as well as giving less affluent parents financial assistance to see them over the initial few weeks following the birth of a child..
                              How does paying for someone's 12 weeks of leave alleviate preventable neonate and infant deaths and illness?

How much have you given personally to new mothers to pay for their leave?
                              Last edited by Sparko; 01-05-2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I
                                You mean the people that don't want a German telling them how money should be taken from them for something the German claims is needed (and doesn't understand the stats of)?

Comment