Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden and Trump agree to debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Dozens, perhaps — though often much fewer. Obama likely had a number of small-tier debates under his belt as a state senator but only had three senatorial debates prior to his first presidential campaign, with the three presidential debates added on by the time his second campaign rolled around.

My mistake; it was indeed the second debate that Trump canceled after having been COVID+ for the first debate and not informing anyone. Trump's positive test on Oct. 2 led the commission to change the format to a virtual debate (after Michigan University had already cancelled as the host), as the debate day would fall within the CDC's guidelines for COVID+ isolation. Biden agreed to the virtual format, Trump refused, and the debate was cancelled.

-Sam
    Formal debates don't only take place when someone runs for office.

Interesting. The first debate was in September, months before the second one and the announcement OMB tested positive. Maybe some of that long covid?

I had read that "Trump, 74, was diagnosed hours after it became publicly known that Hope Hicks, a top Trump aide who traveled with him on Air Force One and Marine One this week, tested positive Thursday morning" along with the Wiki article's statement:

On the morning of October 2, the White House press office announced that the president had contracted COVID-19. One of his close advisers, Hope Hicks, had shown symptoms on the plane while returning from the first debate, and subsequently tested positive. Trump, along with First Lady Melania Trump, tested positive shortly afterwards and went into quarantine.

Looking at the Timeline provided elsewhere in Wiki, it has OMB first testing positive October 1st (which was when "Hope Hicks diagnosis revealed by Bloomberg News") but went on Hannity at Fox News before a second test confirmed it the next day and it was then announced he had tested positive

October 2020[edit]

October 1–15[edit]
    • October 1, three known cases:
      • Kayleigh McEnany holds press briefing despite knowledge of exposure; she later tested positive.[117]
      • Fundraiser at Bedminster golf club in New Jersey is attended by 200; two White House team members in attendance later test positive[303]
      • Trump tests positive[134]
      • Hope Hicks diagnosis revealed by Bloomberg News[118]
      • Sean Hannity appearance[134]
      • Stephen Miller begins self-quarantine.[91]
      • Eric Trump holds rally in Rothschild, Wisconsin[36][394]
    • October 2 , 25+ known cases:
      • Trump announces his diagnosis via Twitter[148]
      • Trump airlifted to Walter Reed[148]

Trump Didn’t Disclose First Positive Covid-19 Test While Awaiting a Second Test on Thursday
    President received positive result on Thursday evening before making an appearance on Fox News in which he didn’t reveal those results

President Trump didn’t disclose a positive result from a rapid test for Covid-19 on Thursday while awaiting the findings from a more thorough coronavirus screening, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Trump received a positive result on Thursday evening before making an appearance on Fox News in which he didn’t reveal those results. Instead, he confirmed earlier reports that one of his top aides had tested positive for coronavirus and mentioned the second test he had taken that night for which he was awaiting results.

“I’ll get my test back either tonight or tomorrow morning,” Mr. Trump said during the interview. CBS News first reported that by that point, Mr. Trump had received a positive result on a rapid test. At 1 a.m. on Friday, the president tweeted that he indeed had tested positive.

But Meadows claimed a year later that it was before the first debate that OMB had tested positive. Something, I'll add, doesn't even get any sort of mention in the Wiki timelines.

Prolly needs no mention, but OMB emphatically denies that he had Covid in September.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Formal debates don't only take place when someone runs for office.

Interesting. The first debate was in September, months before the second one and the announcement OMB tested positive. Maybe some of that long covid?

I had read that "Trump, 74, was diagnosed hours after it became publicly known that Hope Hicks, a top Trump aide who traveled with him on Air Force One and Marine One this week, tested positive Thursday morning" along with the Wiki article's statement:

On the morning of October 2, the White House press office announced that the president had contracted COVID-19. One of his close advisers, Hope Hicks, had shown symptoms on the plane while returning from the first debate, and subsequently tested positive. Trump, along with First Lady Melania Trump, tested positive shortly afterwards and went into quarantine.

Looking at the Timeline provided elsewhere in Wiki, it has OMB first testing positive October 1st (which was when "Hope Hicks diagnosis revealed by Bloomberg News") but went on Hannity at Fox News before a second test confirmed it the next day and it was then announced he had tested positive

October 2020[edit]

October 1–15[edit]
      • October 1, three known cases:
        • Kayleigh McEnany holds press briefing despite knowledge of exposure; she later tested positive.[117]
        • Fundraiser at Bedminster golf club in New Jersey is attended by 200; two White House team members in attendance later test positive[303]
        • Trump tests positive[134]
        • Hope Hicks diagnosis revealed by Bloomberg News[118]
        • Sean Hannity appearance[134]
        • Stephen Miller begins self-quarantine.[91]
        • Eric Trump holds rally in Rothschild, Wisconsin[36][394]
      • October 2 , 25+ known cases:
        • Trump announces his diagnosis via Twitter[148]
        • Trump airlifted to Walter Reed[148]

Trump Didn’t Disclose First Positive Covid-19 Test While Awaiting a Second Test on Thursday
      President received positive result on Thursday evening before making an appearance on Fox News in which he didn’t reveal those results

President Trump didn’t disclose a positive result from a rapid test for Covid-19 on Thursday while awaiting the findings from a more thorough coronavirus screening, according to people familiar with the matter.

Mr. Trump received a positive result on Thursday evening before making an appearance on Fox News in which he didn’t reveal those results. Instead, he confirmed earlier reports that one of his top aides had tested positive for coronavirus and mentioned the second test he had taken that night for which he was awaiting results.

“I’ll get my test back either tonight or tomorrow morning,” Mr. Trump said during the interview. CBS News first reported that by that point, Mr. Trump had received a positive result on a rapid test. At 1 a.m. on Friday, the president tweeted that he indeed had tested positive.

But Meadows claimed a year later that it was before the first debate that OMB had tested positive. Something, I'll add, doesn't even get any sort of mention in the Wiki timelines.

Prolly needs no mention, but OMB emphatically denies that he had Covid in September.

The first debate was September 29, 2020. Trump announced he had a positive test on October 2, 2020. Meadows would later write that Trump tested positive prior to the first debate (which was four days earlier, not "months" prior to the scheduled second debate) but had subsequently tested negative.

-Sam
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The first debate was September 29, 2020. Trump announced he had a positive test on October 2, 2020. Meadows would later write that Trump tested positive prior to the first debate (which was four days earlier, not "months" prior to the scheduled second debate) but had subsequently tested negative.

-Sam
        Sorry. Brain fart. Had August between September and October for some reason.

I wonder why nobody seems to take Meadows allegation seriously. Why it isn't in the timeline even as a footnote?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You know Trump will be unable to keep to the time limit or stop from interrupting Biden while it is his turn.
          It will be fun seeing both of their lips moving, but hearing only Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, we all know of your admiration for the treasonous Autocrat Trump.
            S​​​​​hame on you CP.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It will definitely allow all the focus to fall solely on Biden without any distractions. Only I don't think it will be much fun. It will be a pretty embarrassing tragedy and probably a little frightening.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                It will definitely allow all the focus to fall solely on Biden without any distractions. Only I don't think it will be much fun. It will be a pretty embarrassing tragedy and probably a little frightening.
                Fortunately for Biden, he doesn't have to do well. Just better than Trump.

Comment

Fortunately for Biden, he doesn't have to do well. Just better than Trump.
                  Considering Biden thought a dead person was still alive more than once and won't have access to a teleprompter, that's a rather high bar.

Comment

Considering Biden thought a dead person was still alive more than once and won't have access to a teleprompter, that's a rather high bar.
                    The same things can be said about Trump.

Also, did you see their previous debates?

Comment

The same things can be said about Trump.

Also, did you see their previous debates?
                      Some of it. And?

Comment

Just last week, Trump paid homage to "the late, great Hannibal Lecter".

Can't say I disapprove of SoTL "being recognized more and more", though. Great film.

-Sam
                        "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Just last week, Trump paid homage to "the late, great Hannibal Lecter".

Can't say I disapprove of SoTL "being recognized more and more", though. Great film.

-Sam
                          The first source has a paywall, so I'm going to assume he was cracking a joke. Even if it was morbid joke, I don't see what comparison you're making.

The second source is not clear if he actually thought Douglass was still alive, or if it just seemed that way because he's dumb and often doesn't know how to express his views in a intelligible way. So it's debatable.

I still don't see any whataboutism comparison to Biden whom we know thought dead people were still alive multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Yeah, we all know of your admiration for the treasonous Autocrat Trump.
                            S​​​​​hame on you CP.
                            Jim, when you say "we all know", you must be referring to the voices in your dope-fogged head.
                            I don't believe there is another person on Tweb who buys your psychotic ranting.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Now, if only we can silence the moderators while the candidates talk.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Now, if only we can silence the moderators while the candidates talk.
                                This is about me, isn't it?
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment