Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden says minorities aren't smart enough to go online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

So you agree with Joe on policy, but don't like the way he used the word "jungle".
    One can agree on many different things for entirely different reasons.

For instance, we might agree that someone shouldn't just have their money or property seized by the government for no reason at all. My motive might be because it is wrong to do so, while yours might be because you want to be able to steal it from them (and if it is already taken there is nothing for you to steal)[1].

Two different motivations.

Moreover, old Joe wasn't just against forced bussing. He was against desegregating schools pure and simple.

He didn't want "my children" going to school with blacks. And his reasoning was that putting blacks into the same school that his kids went to would mean they would "grow up in a jungle ... a racial jungle." Old Joe didn't want schools to be desegregated because that sort of race mixing would increase racial "tensions."

Effectively, he was, at best, still championing a doctrine of separate but equal decades after the SCOTUS's unanimous decision on Brown v. Board of Education (his declaration was in 1977 and Brown was decided in 1954).

1. And to be clear, I'm not saying that you are a thief, just using this as an example to make my point.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

There were many non-racist issues to oppose busing. In many ways it was an attempt to put the responsibility for resolving the deep racial issues in our country on the shoulders of children. I Moved south in the second year of forced busing in NC. And it was miserable. At the same time, I'm not sure there existed any other way to solve the problem of massively unequal schools and school funding across racial boundaries. One good thing that came of it was that when the white kids were in what were the black schools before the busing in what were still dangerous neighborhoods, those white parents and politicians cared about what was happening there both in terms of crime and in terms of educational competence. Before then (and after) not so much.
      But old Joe wasn't just against bussing, He was opposed to the concept of desegregating schools. See my post directly above.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And yet Joe went out of his way to articulate his opposition using racist language. But what else would you expect from a guy who thinks that a clean, articulate black man is like something out of a storybook, or that most minorities are too stupid to know how to use the internet.

I wonder, do you ever cringe at Joe's words and think to yourself, "Boy, is that going to tough to rationalize!"
        And old Joe has a way of sabotaging his enabler's best efforts at spinning his racist remarks. Sort of like when he said "You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking." His handlers were out there insisting that it was a joke but his last sentence derailed that excuse.

Similarly, last year when he said that while Hispanics have many different points of view and opinions but blacks don't -- meaning that blacks are essentially a monolithic group who all think alike. His keepers were rushing out to claim that he misspoke. That it was clumsy use of verbiage and what he said wasn't what he meant. But what does old Joe do? He goes before another group and says the same $#@&# thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You've never been to Appalachia?
          Or large swaths of "Cajun country"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Or large swaths of "Cajun country"
            I LOVE my Cajun friends...

Quick story -- when I first started doing business with our Patterson, La plant, the plant manager there was an old Cajun.

I had to listen real hard because he was REALLY Cajun!

When he would ask a question, before you could begin to answer, he'd say "lemme tellya where I'm goinwiddat".
            And he'd tell me WHY he was asking the question.

I found that SO helpful - not just the question, but why he's asking it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Biden has said a few things that I tend to associate with racists. Like this one:

“I do not buy the concept, popular in the ’60s, which said, ‘We have suppressed the black man for 300 years and the white man is now far ahead in the race for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a head start, or even hold the white man back, to even the race,’ ” Biden told a Delaware-based weekly newspaper in 1975. “I don’t buy that.”
              A 40 plus year career politician can pander to an essential voter base. How novel.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's difficult for me to watch the video because it just sounds like a bunch of mumbling and jumbled words strung together in a incoherent mess.
                That's old Joe for ya. While he has always rambled a bit, it has gotten much worse in the last couple of years.
                Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I read the transcript. He was right about minorities not trusting vaccines because of the atrocities committed on minorities in the past in the name of medical science. He was cool up to that point. And you have that partisan thing totally backwards. Leftists, especially you, incessantly harp on racism and white supremacy and politicize it to a point it becomes disgusting, obsessively fantasizing about it or inventing and fabricating racist scenarios that aren't at all racist or have anything to do with white supremacy, yet you just totally ignore or handwave actual incidents of obvious racism, like Biden's history. The contrast is so absurd and the hypocrisy so obvious that I just can't help but marvel at it.
                They need it so that they can self congratulate themselves for riding in and helping those that they believe are incapable of doing things for themselves. Then they go back home feeling pleased with themselves for being such an enlightened and generous person.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I don't think Biden was being racist on purpose, I think he just misspoke, as per usual. Could it be some sort of Freudian Slip? Yah, but not necessarily so.
                  See post #96

Comment

That's old Joe for ya. While he has always rambled a bit, it has gotten much worse in the last couple of years.
                    Yeah, the '500 candles" one yesterday was downright painful to watch.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Joe Biden is 78 years old. He was born in 1942 into a racist culture. It is unlikely he never held or acted on racist attitudes. The issue is not nearlyvas much if he (or trump) ever held racist views during the time when racism was what was the overt culture in the land.. the issue is where are they now, how far have they come. Trump sidled up to, cajoled, and encouraged racist elements in our society the entire time he was president 2016 to 2020. At his side backing him up in stop the steal where racist white supremacists all the way. They walked a Confederate flag through the capitol on Jan 6. Trump is friendly to and draws strength from white supremacists today, even now as we speak.

Joe Biden does not. So while Joe biden probably does not have the Civil rights cred of a John Lewis, to parade about ranting about bidens potential racism while fighting tooth and nail to uphold and support Donald Trump is the very definition of hypocrisy.
                      Nintendo_Twister_07.jpeg
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I also do not think he was being racist on purpose -- he was being Joe. I think he's of that generation who grew up believing that blacks were inferior, and need to be "helped" because they can't manage on their own.
                        Um, that's pretty much what being racist is about.

You don't have to hate somebody to be a racist. Just think that a particular race is inferior.

Comment

Um, that's pretty much what being racist is about.

You don't have to hate somebody to be a racist. Just think that a particular race is inferior.
                          You're a BOOB, you know that? I'm TRYING to be charitable!

Comment

That is a regional disparity that has a very different history. I'm talking about nationwide where the average black net worth is 1/7th that of the white population

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...te-wealth-gap/

and income < 1/2 that of the white population.

https://www.epi.org/blog/racial-disp...rowth-in-2019/
                            Most white wealth is accounted for by the white wealth in the top 10 percentile. It's not like the disparity is that significant throughout income levels. (Brookings)
                            Last edited by Diogenes; 02-23-2021, 03:24 PM. Reason: Add source
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

But old Joe wasn't just against bussing, He was opposed to the concept of desegregating schools. See my post directly above.
                              1) That is irrelevant wrt the what he said in the video. The video does NOT have anything in it that would lead one to believe he thinks minorities are less capable of handling the internet. That is a distortion of his words. The context is clear, he is talking about people in poor neighborhood that do not have access to the internet - and there are many reason for that to be the case. Lack of compute resources, lack of skill etc, and the context is making sure people in that position are able to get vaccinated.

2) my reply to you wrt busing was me identifying with you in that I went through it too. Not me wanting to get into whether or not Joe Biden ever held positions that would be considered racist today. My experience would tell me the majority of white people in the US his age would fail that test. The issue is where is he today. And there is nothing in the video that implies he is saying what is being claimed in this thread.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

How is that a statement you would associate with a racist?
                                Yeah, kind of sounds similar to what MLK said in his I Have a Dream speech. While mentioning the income inequality and systemic discrimination of the time he didn't say anything about giving blacks an advantage now for past wrongs but instead said

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

Comment