Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden says minorities aren't smart enough to go online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
    What a load of nonsense Republicans spout!
    TRANSLATION: It isn't "really" racist when a liberal is racist. What is really racist is when conservatives calls out liberals who are being racists

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Most of white wealth is concentrated in the 10th Percentile, as I've already showed you. It is not the prerogative of the government to create equality of outcome. It is though the prerogative of the government to create equality of outcome.

There's actually a homework gap where blacks study less. There was a study done by the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston called The Color of Wealth in Boston and it showed the median net worth for U.S. Blacks was $8 while the median net wealth for Caribbean Blacks was $12,000. While both are vastly smaller than the old wealth of white Bostonians of $247,500, it highlights that there is disparity within the Black community of Boston that cannot be accounted for by race or systemic .[racism].
      Here's more commentary:

(Edit) Here is Coleman Hughes at greater length.

Thomas Sowell speaks here about affirmative action.

Here is Thomas Sowell with Dave Rubin talking about system racism.
      Which is irrelavent to the point made. Black people in America are significantly poorer. Since there is no fundamental difference in the capabilities of white and black people, this means that the different environments both historical and current is the cause of that discrepancy. Period. There is no debate on that point. How to change those environmental discrepancies and what aspects are the most important to change is a subject of seemingly endless debate.

When we ask why are the environments different enough to create this discrepancy, the history of oppression and racism are the primary culprits, though secondary effects, including misguided attempts to fix the problem, can also be listed as contributing factors. Existing overt and institutionalized Racism itself is a constant pressure against overcoming that legacy, But that is not by any means the only cause. Its the difference in the environment people grow up in, go to school in, differences in employment opportunity, housing opportunity, even access to money for loans all play into perpetuating the discrepancy.

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-23-2021, 09:09 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Which is irrelavent to the point made. Black people in America are significantly poorer.
        And nothing is stopping them from changing that.

Since there is no fundamental difference in the capabilities of white and black people, this means that the different environments both historical and current is the cause of that discrepancy.
        Rather, it is a victimhood complext on the left that is the cause of that discrepancy.
        Period. There is no debate on that point.
        See above.
        How to change those environmental discrepancies and what aspects are the most important to change is a subject of seemingly endless debate.
        The only people that can change things are they themselves. You can lead a horse to water.....
        When we ask why are the environments different enough to create this discrepancy, the history of oppression and racism are the primary culprits, though secondary effects, including misguided attempts to fix the problem, can also be listed as contributing factors. Existing overt and institutionalized Racism itself is a constant pressure against overcoming that legacy, But that is not by any means the only cause. Its the difference in the environment people grow up in, go to school in, differences in employment opportunity, housing opportunity, even access to money for loans all play into perpetuating the discrepancy.

Pure poppycock. There are countless white people living in poverty, with the exact same opportunities (in fact these last few decades, many have even less than black americans due to racist policies put into place by people like yourself that favor blacks and do not give loans, scholarships, education spots, etc., to people because they are white and even though their abilities might be better, the black person they are competing against gets the spot because of their skin color). Time to start taking responsibility for your own lives.
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 02-23-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Black people in America are significantly poorer.
          No disagreement.

Since there is no fundamental difference in the capabilities of white and black people, this means that the different environments both historical and current is the cause of that discrepancy. Period. There is no debate on that point. How to change those environmental discrepancies and what aspects are the most important to change is a subject of seemingly endless debate.
          No one is disagreeing that historically, blacks were at significant disadvantage as they did not have equality of opportunity through slavery, Jim Crow laws, et al.

When we ask why are the environments different enough to create this discrepancy, the history of oppression and racism are the primary culprits.
          Existing overt and institutionalized Racism itself is a constant pressure against overcoming that legacy, But that is not by any means the only cause.
          If you can show where there's any current law resembling Jim Crow laws, I'd like to know about it. As Sowell pointed out, getting a black student into a school in which they are likely to fail doesn't do the individual any good.

Its the difference in the environment people grow up in, go to school in, differences in employment opportunity, housing opportunity, even access to money for loans all play into perpetuating the discrepancy.
          For the example I gave, government can't make black children spend more time on their homework or change Black culture.

To quote 1975 Biden:

It is the obligation of government to knock down any barriers thrown up to prevent someone from being able to participate in any aspect of our society. But I do not buy the concept, popular in the 60's which said: 'we have suppressed the black man for 300 years, and the white man is now far ahead in the 'race' for everything our society offers. In order to even the score, we must now give the black man a "head start' or even hold the white man back to even the race." I don't buy that. I don't feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather. I feel responsible for what the situation ls today, for the sins of my own generation. And I'll be [darned] if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.
          The problem is the shift from equality of opportunity to equality of outcome. These are two radically opposed ideologies.
          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Rather, it is a victimhood complex on the left that is the cause of that discrepancy.
            There's money in being a so-called "race-hustler" or "poverty pimp" (per Walter Williams here)
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              So you're one of these two wrongs make a right sort of guys, huh? Punish people who didn't do anything to "get even" for what took place in the past[1]. Just ignore what King said in one of the most famous and significant speeches in American history. Hmm. Maybe MLK was a racist since he just wanted equality and not "pay back."
              If you think MLK did not want "pay back", you should try googling 'Martin Luther King reparations'.

Source: https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2019/06/27/the-case-for-reparations-julie-wittes-schlack

“I believe we ought to do all we can and seek to lift ourselves by our own bootstraps,” Martin Luther King, Jr. said in a 1967 interview, less than a year before his assassination. “But it’s a cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps, and many Negroes by the thousands and millions have been left bootless as a result of all these years of oppression ...”

© Copyright Original Source

Please note that I'm not arguing for reparations. I think it would be impossible to decide who pays how much to whom. I'm simply pointing out that your view that MLK didn't think anything needed to be done to make up for the 300 years of oppression is just plain wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Well, I've never said either. And it might be nice if you were more specific about your own comments, because that sure looked like you were accusing a lot of people on this site of being as racist as Biden is.
                Sorry, it was just easier to let the guilty recognize themselves than go back and figure out exactly who said what.

Comment

That is not what he says MM. And if you bothered to listen to the video you would know that.
                  This:

"Not everybody in the community, in the Hispanic and African American community, particularly in ru- uh, uh, rural areas that are distant, and/or inner city districts know how to use- know how to get online..."

Is an exact quote from the video itself. No embellishment, no "interpretation", but literally word-for-word what was uttered by the lips of Racist Joe. If you bothered to listen to the video. you would know that. There is really no way to read that quote as anything but a slap across the face of minorities. I think Joe's brand of racism -- the belief that non-whites are inherently inferior and need help from benevolent whites -- is the most insidious kind because it is often mistaken for a virtue, and I'm honestly not surprised to see you jump to Racist Joe's defense.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And as you've been told a million times, when one starts at the very back, it is only rarely possible one can win. Some people can and do - but they are the exceptional ones.
                    *low whistle*

What you said right there? That's straight up racist.

I, on other hand, believe that any black person can succeed, not just the "exceptional" ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

The more I read about what Biden said back in the '70s, the less I like him. (But maybe he's changed.) The following quote could have been written by some of his fiercest critics in this thread.

“The new integration plans being offered are really just quota systems to assure a certain number of blacks, Chicanos, or whatever in each school. That, to me, is the most racist concept you can come up with,” Biden said. “What it says is, ‘In order for your child with curly black hair, brown eyes, and dark skin to be able to learn anything, he needs to sit next to my blond-haired, blue-eyed son.’ That’s racist! Who the hell do we think we are, that the only way a black man or woman can learn is if they rub shoulders with my white child?”
                      That's a straw man. Proponents of desegregation were not saying that blacks could only learn if they rubbed shoulders with whites, they were saying that blacks needed to be offered the same educational opportunities as whites, and the proposed solution was to desegregate schools. Racist Joe fiercely opposed this on basis it would turn schools into a "racial jungle".

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

*low whistle*

What you said right there? That's straight up racist.

I, on other hand, believe that any black person can succeed, not just the "exceptional" ones.
                        What a slime ball you are! Twisting my words to claim I'm racist while playing one of the oldest racial games there is!

1) I did not say only exceptional black people can succeed. I said ANY person starting at the back of a race is unlikely to succeed.

2) And in reality you are playing a very old racist game. Recognizing success is very difficult and then taunting them by saying the only reason they aren't succeeding is they are not trying hard enough.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This:

"Not everybody in the community, in the Hispanic and African American community, particularly in ru- uh, uh, rural areas that are distant, and/or inner city districts know how to use- know how to get online..."

Is an exact quote from the video itself. No embellishment, no "interpretation", but literally word-for-word what was uttered by the lips of Racist Joe. If you bothered to listen to the video. you would know that. There is really no way to read that quote as anything but a slap across the face of minorities. I think Joe's brand of racism -- the belief that non-whites are inherently inferior and need help from benevolent whites -- is the most insidious kind because it is often mistaken for a virtue, and I'm honestly not surprised to see you jump to Racist Joe's defense.
                          And it is a distortion of his meaning to interpret it as you are. You've taken it out of context to get there. He's already talking about these communities because he's talking about getting covid vaccines to the hard to reach communities - it's just a restatement of the communities he is talking about helping. In context all he is saying is that there are people in the communities that are hard to reach that need help getting on line. He may also be referencing the fact that poorer communities and more rural communities have less access for many different reasons, bandwidth, reliable service, economics (not owning a computer or being able to afford internet service), or just being elderly and not as internet savvy (yes it is statistically more likely to need help on the internet if you are older).

So here is the deal. I am a voice speaking out against racism on this site. And you are a voice that has continuously tried to falsely cast me as a racist when I speak out against racism. And it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what that means about who and what you are.

Comment

The truth is black people have 1/7th the wealth, 1/2 the income. So, MM says 'he believes they can succeed' even though they clearly are not succeeding. This translates into - 'they apparently just don't want to succeed'.

As a follow up on MM's slime, I'll point out Jared Kushner tried a similar thing:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-1028-kushner-blacks-20201027-fam4pzlo35aindanktojahpd3q-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/us/politics/kushner-black-racist-stereotype.html

The fact is this implication shows up on this site A LOT. It's a really nasty sort of thing. It actually falls into the set of particularly abusive and insidious practices that define gaslighting (making someone else falsely think their failures are because of something is wrong with them) and is one of the more subtle ways racism is inculcated into white culture - "We've solved all the problems and given them lots of help yet they still just won't get themselves up out of the gutter'. It's really very nasty, and very sick. But it echoes in these halls every single time the topic of race comes up.
                            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 02-24-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

The truth is black people have 1/7th the wealth, 1/2 the income. So, MM says 'he believes they can succeed' even though they clearly are not succeeding. This translates into - 'they apparently must just don't want to succeed'.
                              Our "Jobs for Life" program has for its clients mostly black people (in fact, almost exclusively blacks, with a few Hispanics from time to time). The hardest thing for us to do is convince them they've been lied to about how they can't succeed because of 300 years of slavery.
                              Once they let go of that baggage, they become very interested in learning how to fill out a job application, how to survive a job interview, how to manage their time, etc.

If liberals could just stop lying to these people and "keeping them on the plantation" by making excuses for them, it'd be a lot easier to help them get pointed in the right direction.
                              But it's almost always the 'caring white dude' who keeps them discouraged - throw statistics reminding them what failures they are, and how they don't (imply can't) make the kind of money that white people make, or can't own homes or live debt-free.

The executive director or our faith-based help center (very much involved in our Jobs for Life program) was a Katrina refugee who made good. He is tougher on those black clients than anybody I know could ever be - telling them "forget the lies and the white man's excuses - it's up to you to succeed, but you have to shed the past".

How is it helping them by constantly keeping them in bondage, reminding they they can't succeed?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What a slime ball you are!
                                A proven tactic in civil discussion.

Twisting my words to claim I'm racist while playing one of the oldest racial games there is!
                                Jim, you're doing what liberals do - making excuses and tossing out facts and figures that you don't even realize are condemnation in and of themselves.

It's time to get over the "300 years of slavery" crap and challenge people - yes, black people - to excellence.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment