Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden says minorities aren't smart enough to go online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Twisting my words to claim I'm racist...
    I didn't twist anything, I simply quoted your own words back to you.

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I said ANY person starting at the back of a race is unlikely to succeed.
    But in context, we're specifically discussing blacks.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And it is a distortion of his meaning to interpret it as you are. You've taken it out of context to get there. He's already talking about these communities because he's talking about getting covid vaccines to the hard to reach communities - it's just a restatement of the communities he is talking about helping. In context all he is saying is that there are people in the communities that are hard to reach that need help getting on line. He may also be referencing the fact that poorer communities and more rural communities have less access for many different reasons, bandwidth, reliable service, economics (not owning a computer or being able to afford internet service), or just being elderly and not as internet savvy (yes it is statistically more likely to need help on the internet if you are older).

So here is the deal. I am a voice speaking out against racism on this site. And you are a voice that has continuously tried to falsely cast me as a racist when I speak out against racism. And it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what that means about who and what you are.
      Actually what you are doing is bending over backwards trying to excuse old Joe's racism, going so far as to claim what he said wasn't really what he said.

That is not what he says MM. And if you bothered to listen to the video you would know that.

It was a word for word quote. But you're seeking to reinterpret his condescending, patronizing remarks into something virtuous. Given old Joe's history, including recent remarks about how he thinks blacks all think alike and self-anointing himself as the arbitrator on whether a black person is truly black, your efforts at spinning this fall flatter than a pancake without baking powder.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And it is a distortion of his meaning...
        Again, no distortion, I'm just quoting his words.

I wonder if you ever get tired of having to defend Joe's racism by saying, "But he didn't mean what he said!" Of course that's the same defense you use to excuse your own racist utterances, so perhaps you really do believe this rationalization.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Actually what you are doing is bending over backwards trying to excuse old Joe's racism, going so far as to claim what he said wasn't really what he said.

That is not what he says MM. And if you bothered to listen to the video you would know that.

It was a word for word quote. But you're seeking to reinterpret his condescending, patronizing remarks into something virtuous. Given old Joe's history, including recent remarks about how he thinks blacks all think alike and self-anointing himself as the arbitrator on whether a black person is truly black, your efforts at spinning this fall flatter than a pancake without baking powder.
          So much for him "speaking against racism".

I think he really doesn't realize that the drivel he is accepting is actually racist. All it does is put black people into a perpetual victimhood and defeatist attitude. That very attitude will ensure that those who hold it are never able to rise above the current condition they have.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Our "Jobs for Life" program has for its clients mostly black people (in fact, almost exclusively blacks, with a few Hispanics from time to time). The hardest thing for us to do is convince them they've been lied to about how they can't succeed because of 300 years of slavery.
            Once they let go of that baggage, they become very interested in learning how to fill out a job application, how to survive a job interview, how to manage their time, etc.

If liberals could just stop lying to these people and "keeping them on the plantation" by making excuses for them, it'd be a lot easier to help them get pointed in the right direction.
            But it's almost always the 'caring white dude' who keeps them discouraged - throw statistics reminding them what failures they are, and how they don't (imply can't) make the kind of money that white people make, or can't own homes or live debt-free.

The executive director or our faith-based help center (very much involved in our Jobs for Life program) was a Katrina refugee who made good. He is tougher on those black clients than anybody I know could ever be - telling them "forget the lies and the white man's excuses - it's up to you to succeed, but you have to shed the past".

How is it helping them by constantly keeping them in bondage, reminding they they can't succeed?
            Years ago when I managed a business for a friend there was a black guy who did auto detailing that rented out the building behind us. As he was opening up the business I was sitting back there and talking to him about it. I nonchalantly brought up business licenses, zoning permits and a few other things. He stared at me and smiled saying "you white guys know all about this stuff." I was actually taken aback by the comment replying that this was just the basics and didn't require any special knowledge. He shook his head and explained that where he went to school (south side of Chicago) he was taught that blacks couldn't be successful business people due to racism so they didn't bother teaching anything about that (like a business education class) and instead recommended that if you wanted an honest job you needed to go work for the government. I asked him weren't there any black-owned businesses in his neighborhood. You could see the look of dawning realization on his face.

And to emphasize, this guy was no dummy. He wasn't slow-witted by any means. And he possessed a marvelous work ethic. But he had been screwed over by his school system.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

But in context, we're specifically discussing blacks.
              No MM. I was clear with my words. You just saw an opportunity to flame that you though you could get away with and you took it.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The truth is black people have 1/7th the wealth, 1/2 the income. So, MM says 'he believes they can succeed' even though they clearly are not succeeding. This translates into - 'they apparently just don't want to succeed'.
                In some cases, they don't want to, either for personal reasons, or because of cultural conditioning. In other cases, they have been convinced by "soft" racists like you and Joe Biden that they can't succeed without the help of their white betters unless they are "exceptional".

Comment

Again, no distortion, I'm just quoting his words.

I wonder if you ever get tired of having to defend Joe's racism by saying, "But he didn't mean what he said!" Of course that's the same defense you use to excuse your own racist utterances, so perhaps you really do believe this rationalization.

I'm actually not trying to 'defend' joe. I'm just trying to be a counter to all the distortions of the text and the context of the video that is the OP. As I said, I think it is very likely Joe was racist in the 60s, maybe even the 70's. That WAS the culture then. I mean Nixon implemented policies specifically to keep black people in prison and whose legacy is still being felt! But I also don't believe that is where he hails from now, nor do I believe that is what he was getting at in this video.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

In some cases, they don't want to, either for personal reasons, or because of cultural conditioning. In other cases, they have been convinced by "soft" racists like you and Joe Biden that they can't succeed without the help of their white betters unless they are "exceptional".
                    Still trying the flaming thing - eh? But wheras you are distorting my words from their actual meaning to try to claim I'm racist, you are sitting here being racist and just doubling down on your own use of the same old racist trope that black people are not successful because they just don't want to be.

How about that!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

So much for him "speaking against racism".

I think he really doesn't realize that the drivel he is accepting is actually racist. All it does is put black people into a perpetual victimhood and defeatist attitude. That very attitude will ensure that those who hold it are never able to rise above the current condition they have.
                      Absolutely - perpetuating the problem.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I....I mean Nixon implemented policies specifically to keep black people in prison and whose legacy is still being felt! ....
                        Good thing Trump took action to try to rectify that, eh?

trump.jpg

Attached Files
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was clear with my words.
                          Crystal clear, but I guess like Racist Joe, you don't mean what you say.

Comment

simply false. You said:

"I, on other hand, believe that any black person can succeed, not just the "exceptional" ones."

that 'on the other hand' implies my words said the inverse of the phrase that follows - i.e., that I said something about black people specifically and that only exceptional ones could succeed.

But I didn't say anything of the sort!.

My statement applies to ALL people - ANYONE in a given situation, any race or sex or creed. And it wasn't just any old arbitrary situation, it was starting out at the back [of a race or contest ]

my words: "when one starts at the very back, it is only rarely possible one can win. Some people can and do - but they are the exceptional ones."

one here is the impersonal reflexive, it does not identify the person doing the action, it means ANYONE.

you twisted my words to mean what they did not, you falsely accused me of saying what I did not say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                              I guess Biden is becoming racist in his old age. Reading the transcript, I agree with him.
                              So you would agree with his argument from the '70s that it was really the proponents of school integration who were being racist, because they thought that minority kids had to have white kids in their class in order to learn?

Comment

Crystal clear, but I guess like Racist Joe, you don't mean what you say.
                                MM - I've given the analysis above and I have made clear your 'mistake' in interpretation. You now longer have any 'excuse' for continuing to claim my statement implies racism. If you don't stop you will be doing wrong. And an honest person would apologize.

Comment