Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama: Doubling Down on Incompetence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    And I wear it proudly.
    Yeah, I can tell.

He's been a profoundly good president,
    PROFOUNDLY good? His OWN PARTY is fed up with him!

notwithstanding the unprecedented level of opposition during what will rank as one our worst national crises. As a victim of Obama Derangement Syndrome with a comorbid lack of charity and comprehension, I don't expect we'll agree on much. I guess history will judge which one of us can at least distinguish between the singular and plural tense.*

*I'm allowing this bit of rudeness to stand, in order to perhaps punch through this veil of what I consider to be an almost, if not outright, sinful uncharity that has been persistent on your part when it comes to faceless others. You've got to fix this problem, man. Continue to criticize, sure, but take the effort to criticize intelligently and with a modicum of grace. I assume this is some sort of venting or catharsis but, from my perspective, it's caustic. And while this acid has no effect on the politicians you attack, it probably has an effect on you and definitely affects those interacting with you. I will now go back to trying to make sure I filter out rude or flippant attacks on my part.
    Wow.... "sinful uncharity".......

And you wonder why I don't take you seriously.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I can tell.

PROFOUNDLY good? His OWN PARTY is fed up with him!

Wow.... "sinful uncharity".......

And you wonder why I don't take you seriously.

No, I don't wonder. I know exactly what the problem is, dealing with it on a regular basis with YECs/AGW-deniers/Anti-vaxxers ... but there's nothing I can very much do to make people debate in good faith using logic, reason and consilient evidence.

And yes. I take your level of extreme and irrational uncharity to be sinful. You should repent.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

And I wear it proudly. He's been a profoundly good president, notwithstanding the unprecedented level of opposition during what will rank as one our worst national crises.
        Where were you for most of Bush's term?

I find it amusing how the supporters of a given president always imagine that their guy is facing an "unprecedented level of opposition."

Nixon supporters used to make that cry forgetting about LBJ (he even didn't seek reelection the opposition was so fierce).

Carter's fans claimed the same about him (I guess Nixon being forced to resign didn't count).

Reagan's supporters did likewise (Carter lost reelection which is pretty strong opposition).

Ditto for Clinton (overlooking the vitriolic hate for Reagan and the fact that George HW Bush lost reelection)

Bush as well (forgetting Clinton's impeachment)

And now Obama (pretending that the nearly hysterical level of opposition to Bush didn't count).

The only thing different with Obama is that any opposition to any of his actions is almost immediately branded as racism and dismissed as such by the left. For them there can be no legitimate policy dispute. It can only be due to Obama being African-American.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No, I don't wonder. I know exactly what the problem is, dealing with it on a regular basis with YECs/AGW-deniers/Anti-vaxxers ... but there's nothing I can very much do to make people debate in good faith using logic, reason and consilient evidence.

And yes. I take your level of extreme and irrational uncharity to be sinful. You should repent.
          Wow
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Where were you for most of Bush's term?

I find it amusing how the supporters of a given president always imagine that their guy is facing an "unprecedented level of opposition."

Nixon supporters used to make that cry forgetting about LBJ (he even didn't seek reelection the opposition was so fierce).

Carter's fans claimed the same about him (I guess Nixon being forced to resign didn't count).

Reagan's supporters did likewise (Carter lost reelection which is pretty strong opposition).

Ditto for Clinton (overlooking the vitriolic hate for Reagan and the fact that George HW Bush lost reelection)

Bush as well (forgetting Clinton's impeachment)

And now Obama (pretending that the nearly hysterical level of opposition to Bush didn't count).

The only thing different with Obama is that any opposition to any of his actions is almost immediately branded as racism and dismissed as such by the left. For them there can be no legitimate policy dispute. It can only be due to Obama being African-American.
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

No, not remotely. Bush had high levels of cooperation from Democrats for the first term of his presidency and, while the second term was rockier, he still had a Democratic-majority Congress who worked with him to pass and implement important policies — No Child Left Behind, TARP, Medicare Part D, and a pass at immigration reform, which would be tanked by Republicans in the Senate.
              IE: the Dems worked with him to implement progressive policies. Let's have Obama implement Operation Wetback 2.0 and see if he still gets a ton of Republican opposition.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

And Obama just said, in effect, "oh, ok... um... I guess we'll just go home".

Actually do something Presidential! He managed to get OTHER governments to take those bad guys from Gitmo off our hands!
                What do you think should have been done? Avoid the Iraqi congress or even avoid Malaki by making the whole military force employees of the embassy? Or were there other options you would have preferred?
                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

... this veil of what I consider to be an almost, if not outright, sinful uncharity ...
                  Even the most ardent atheists, as physicists, are allowed the use of the language of God when embracing their cosmic awe. It's a shame that the language of sin is reserved for the religious, making concurrence by a non-believer self-defeating. From the secular side, there's often a sense of triumph associated with Christians, and especially their leaders, behaving badly.

That's not me.

For whatever reason, I still hold idealized opinions about preachers. These are folks I expect to see working across religious lines in support of their faith, and CP does this very well, and across party lines, where he fails miserably. I pity the democrat who's a member of his congregation. When hyper-partisanship comes from a preacher, it reflects on the faith.

Now, there's a part of me that's very okay with this. That's a part of me that embraces almost, if not outright, sinful uncharity. Forgive me, CP. I know you're human, and I shouldn't hold you up to impossible standards.

There's only so much we should expect from a poopie-head.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Even the most ardent atheists, as physicists, are allowed the use of the language of God when embracing their cosmic awe. It's a shame that the language of sin is reserved for the religious, making concurrence by a non-believer self-defeating. From the secular side, there's often a sense of triumph associated with Christians, and especially their leaders, behaving badly.

That's not me.

For whatever reason, I still hold idealized opinions about preachers. These are folks I expect to see working across religious lines in support of their faith, and CP does this very well, and across party lines, where he fails miserably. I pity the democrat who's a member of his congregation. When hyper-partisanship comes from a preacher, it reflects on the faith.

Now, there's a part of me that's very okay with this. That's a part of me that embraces almost, if not outright, sinful uncharity. Forgive me, CP. I know you're human, and I shouldn't hold you up to impossible standards.

There's only so much we should expect from a poopie-head.

As ever, Jesse
                    Well said. From one poopiehead to another. Except, I wonder if there are any Democrats in Cow Poker's congregation. When I was more politically partisan in my youth, a young woman came up to me one day and told me that not everyone in my community agreed with my Republican positions, so she politely declined a bumper sticker. I was a bit shocked to find out that there were Democrats in the community. I have learned a bit since then. I don't put much stock in any political party and very very few politicians any more.
                    Last edited by robrecht; 11-10-2014, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                      President cut-n-run? Obama left when the agreement negotiated by Bush and Malaki expired. Malaki would not renew for his own internal political reasons. What would you have recommended? Overthrow Maliki's government and replace it with one that would 'negotiate'?
                      I think it's fairly evident that Obama wanted out of Iraq sooner rather than later. And plenty of persuasion could have been brought to bear short of overthrow - had Obama's State Department been interested in doing such.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I think it's fairly evident that Obama wanted out of Iraq sooner rather than later. And plenty of persuasion could have been brought to bear short of overthrow - had Obama's State Department been interested in doing such.
                        But how far should we go in persuading a government that they allow our military to fight their war? How would we persuade them? Give them more money? Threaten them with a coup? Was the Malaki government doing a good job? Should we prop them up even if they were already losing popular and congressional support?
                        Last edited by robrecht; 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I think it's fairly evident that Obama wanted out of Iraq sooner rather than later.
                          Probably the most sensible option.

Comment

Well said. From one poopiehead to another. Except, I wonder if there are any Democrats in Cow Poker's congregation.
                            Actually, yes, I have a number of Democrats in my congregation, though probably 20% or less. We get along quite well, as I purposely avoid politics in my Church. I would alienate approximately half of the people I serve and am working to reach. For example, my Jobs for Life class is probably at least 80% Democrat, and the folks who came to our Car Clinic I would guess were at least 90% Democrat. I would also guess (with much greater confidence) that those of us who actually worked at the Car Clinic and the Jobs for Life program (two recent or current examples) are 100% Republican.

When I was more politically partisan in my youth, a young woman came up to me one day and told me that not everyone in my community agreed with my Republican positions, so she politely declined a bumper sticker. I was a bit shocked to find out that there were Democrats in the community. I have learned a bit since then. I don't put much stock in any political party and very very few politicians any more.
                            I think it's jackassery to assume that, because I am politically vocal here, that I must be so also in my congregation.

Comment

Actually, yes, I have a number of Democrats in my congregation, though probably 20% or less. We get along quite well, as I purposely avoid politics in my Church. I would alienate approximately half of the people I serve and am working to reach. For example, my Jobs for Life class is probably at least 80% Democrat, and the folks who came to our Car Clinic I would guess were at least 90% Democrat. I would also guess (with much greater confidence) that those of us who actually worked at the Car Clinic and the Jobs for Life program (two recent or current examples) are 100% Republican.

I think it's jackassery to assume that, because I am politically vocal here, that I must be so also in my congregation.
                              I didn't make that assumption, but I am curious why you express yourself differently here. Are you less concerned here about alienating people?
                              Last edited by robrecht; 11-10-2014, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I didn't make that assumption,
                                Yes, you did not! I meant to make that clear, but you beat me to the response!

but I am curious why you express yourself differently here.
                                Probably BECAUSE of what I see in my own community. So many of the people to whom we minister are products, in my opinion, of the great blunders of the liberals - almost all of the people we help are on welfare, social programs, public housing --- and they seem content to be "stuck" there. Our Jobs for Life program, for example, is all about a "way out" of "the system".

I think I probably VENT here because of what I deal with in real life, and cannot (or choose not to) vent publicly in real life.

Comment