Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Obama: Doubling Down on Incompetence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Forgot to address this. Please notice that these were all examples where there was significant Republican opposition and all things that you could expect at least some Democrats to support. Please give me an example of legislation pushed by Obama that is similar in nature -- something that wasn't designed to appeal solely to his base aside from some of the actions taken in Iraq and Afghanistan (and very recently taking action against ISIS) where he indeed did get his bipartisan support.
    1) Stimulus; 1/3 tax cuts, necessary to prevent a depression

2) Auto bailout; saved millions of jobs, necessary to prevent a depression

3) ACA; utilized aspects of Republican health reform proposals to stay revenue-neutral, eschewed public option for Heritage Foundation's individual mandate

4) Immigration Reform; passed through Senate with bipartisan support, includes increased security and other GOP-preferred policies

5) Grand Bargain; comprised of 3:1 spending cuts to revenue increases, significant deficit reduction during an anemic recovery

And, again, that's just off the top of my head. The idea that the ACA is the dream-policy of the Democratic base is, of course, ridiculous — those people want single payer, not increased power to private insurers. There was no credible reason for anyone to be against the auto bailout, given the extensive economic damage it would certainly prevent. A 13-year path to citizenship with increasingly draconian border security is not a liberal base policy in the least. Calling the Grand Bargain designed as to appeal solely to the liberal base is ludicrous on its face.

So the facts support the proposition that Obama has been willing, if not keen, to work on centrist policies that can theoretically garner bipartisan support. As Bruce Bartlett argued, Obama could even be considered Republican, in the older, more respectable sense. All of this complaining about Obama not trying to work with Congress or being a hard-left liberal or not facing significantly more strident opposition than his predecessors is vacuous.
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / So close to our dwelling place?" — Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Considering events since the US left, its presence was obviously helping.
      I have no doubt of this, but still think we need answers to my earlier questions. I understand and accept your reservations about attempting answers from our limited perspective. But, in my mind, that same reluctance should also imply comparable reserve in the severity of our criticisms. It may very well be that there were no good options available at the time and even fewer now.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        I have no doubt of this, but still think we need answers to my earlier questions. I understand and accept your reservations about attempting answers from our limited perspective. But, in my mind, that same reluctance should also imply comparable reserve in the severity of our criticisms. It may very well be that there were no good options available at the time and even fewer now.
        That's possible - though IMO Obama's known desire to exit Iraq left no room for a good option. It's seldom a good idea to tip one's hand like that.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That's possible - though IMO Obama's known desire to exit Iraq left no room for a good option. It's seldom a good idea to tip one's hand like that.
          From a purely military point of view, I think most would agree with this. From a larger, geopolitical perspective, there was some value in making it clear that we had no long-term colonial objectives. IIRC, George W. Bush may have made the same point, ie, something like 'we had no desire to stay any longer than the Iraqi government wanted us'. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. Do you recall?

Comment

• Originally posted by robrecht View Post
            From a purely military point of view, I think most would agree with this. From a larger, geopolitical perspective, there was some value in making it clear that we had no long-term colonial objectives. IIRC, George W. Bush may have made the same point, ie, something like 'we had no desire to stay any longer than the Iraqi government wanted us'. Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly. Do you recall?
            I recall something like that, yes. There's a difference, though, between committing to leaving when the job's done and leaving by date x regardless of situation.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I recall something like that, yes. There's a difference, though, between committing to leaving when the job's done and leaving by date x regardless of situation.
              My recollection was that Obama wanted to leave a significant 'noncombat' force, ie, etwa 3k troops. Large enough to intimidate if necessary, but no longer leading combat missions. As I recall, Obama was critized from the left because they feared his military leaders' plan would be essentially the same as Bush's. Until there was no status of forces agreement, then it seemed to me everyone was surprised that all of the troops left so quickly.
              Last edited by robrecht; 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                1) Stimulus; 1/3 tax cuts, necessary to prevent a depression
                I don't recall cuts of such a magnitude, whether proposed or actually enacted. Reference? More than that would be good.

2) Auto bailout; saved millions of jobs, necessary to prevent a depression
                I remember that one. Obama stiffed Chrysler bondholders to reward the unions. Anyway, I very much doubt the bailout saved millions of jobs in the long run. If you think it did, care to demonstrate it clearly and understandably? As for preventing a depression, the best remedy is for the government to stay the hell out of the economy. Massive tax cuts for starters. Spend less. If you don't agree, you have to demonstrate that all the government spending did result in a world that is better than otherwise.

5) Grand Bargain; comprised of 3:1 spending cuts to revenue increases, significant deficit reduction during an anemic recovery
                Deceptive! There was no actual spending cut. The federal government spent more in a year than the previous year, year after year. A budget would be proposed to spend X, then people would say in private, let's cut that to Y. Even though Y is MORE than last year's spending, they would run around saying we cut X - Y from spending! We saved (1- Y/X)%!

And, again, that's just off the top of my head.
                OK, but you should back up your assertions with authoritative references.
                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment