Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So The American Heartland Is A Racist Term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Racists eat a McDonalds, take showers, sleep in beds, use the toilet, watch TV, etc. I guess that makes everything racist, huh?

Oh man, I bet if a white nationalist got on TV and announced he was a Democrat, then that would mean the Democrat Party is racist! And then everyone would have to become Republican and vote for Trump.

This whole attitude of guilt by association (with milk nonetheless!!) reminds me of this cartoon:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42483[/ATTACH]
    Guilt by association? Wow, talk about a straw argument. I have not argued that milk is at all racist, but that milk is used by racists, the "dog whistle", the trolling of liberals. I am arguing against the position which denies that the racist dog whistles exist.

The fact is that some are pretty tolerant of the ideas, where a Christian on Tweb feels comfortable with stating that he is willing to adopt racist images, in order to troll liberals. The statement was made (I suspect) to troll me. The whole Pepe the frog meme use was about trolling and mocking liberals, yet in the US the image was used by racists and has taken on racist connotations.

4 chan and reddit are internet discussion platforms which became platforms for antichristian ideas. is Tweb really much different? The fact is that if a Christian. such as Norrinrad, took the icons of Shlomo "lampshade" Shekelstein or 1488, the Tweb community would need to address it, either ban the images, pull his "Christian" label, or ban him. "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children" would most likely pull Christians into parsing it, finding ways to look at it as acceptable, defending the statement!

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Do you give attention seekers, attention?
      Yes, when ignoring it would perpetuate an evil.

Abolitionists prevailed through highlighting the evil, even at the expense of overly sentimentalizing it, Uncle Tom's Cabin probably did more than the writings of Frederick Douglas and others combined. The civil rights movement highlighted the consequences of the racism underpinning the segregation, the images of men sitting at lunch counters, firehoses and German shepherds on citizens, and Emett Till in his casket exposed the systemic abuses in our society, brought them into the consciences which otherwise could not be stirred. And a century ago, Hitler came to power by not highlighting the inherent problems in his ideology.

Ignoring evil does not help end the evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Robert Byrd: Democrat Senator, Exalted Cyclops of the KKK, and a dear, dear friend and mentor of Hillary Clinton who fondly described him as "the conscience of the Senate".

Let's see what simplicio makes of that!
        What do I make of that? I think it emphasizes that Christians such as yourself do not really believe that metanoia, a change of heart and mind, is in the realm of possibility.

Yes Byrd did hold repugnant ideas, and was willing to associate himself with a movement which advocated the repugnant ideas. But his life shows that Byrd later repudiated those ideas, and were not evident. The elder Byrd was not the same man as the younger Byrd, a view not at all inconsistent with the Christian faith which holds that change is possible.

I do not know if the change was deep, affecting the soul, or merely a shallow movement rooted in political pragmatism. But either way, Byrd changed. His later life was a testament to change, an attitude which rejected his earlier.

So I have to ask, how do you account for Strom Thurmond, a Republican who was earlier a Dem, opposed to civil rights, ran for president on the States' rights ticket (a party founded on segregationist principles. Strom Thurmond never renounced his earlier position , defending it as "contextual" part of southern, Christian, society and a position of states rights. Byrd and Thurmond alternated holding the post of President Pro tempore of the Senate. There lives paralledd in many ways. But one a liberal, the other a conservative.

Biden eulogized Thurmond as a product of his time, a Dixiecrat who moved to the good side.

Was Biden correct on Thurmond?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I've never heard of any of those things, have no idea what they mean, but since they are supposedly EBIL!!!, then yes, I would try to include them in the Profile pic.
          I guess Christianity does not pose any practical restraint on the Christian if the Christian will publicly proclaim his willingness to adopt racist memes, in a discussion about racism.

Is that what is meant by freedom in Christ?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
            I guess Christianity does not pose any practical restraint on the Christian if the Christian will publicly proclaim his willingness to adopt racist memes, in a discussion about racism.

Or perhaps Norrin doesn't want to be kowtowed by nonsensical racial memes.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes, when ignoring it would perpetuate an evil.

Abolitionists prevailed through highlighting the evil, even at the expense of overly sentimentalizing it, Uncle Tom's Cabin probably did more than the writings of Frederick Douglas and others combined. The civil rights movement highlighted the consequences of the racism underpinning the segregation, the images of men sitting at lunch counters, firehoses and German shepherds on citizens, and Emett Till in his casket exposed the systemic abuses in our society, brought them into the consciences which otherwise could not be stirred. And a century ago, Hitler came to power by not highlighting the inherent problems in his ideology.

Ignoring evil does not help end the evil.
              The problem with your examples is that the racist do not have power or control anymore and are a dying breed. The KKK and groups like them do not boast million people memberships nor have politicians in their pockets now. They are a dying breed grasping for attention.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What do I make of that? I think it emphasizes that Christians such as yourself do not really believe that metanoia, a change of heart and mind, is in the realm of possibility.

Yes Byrd did hold repugnant ideas, and was willing to associate himself with a movement which advocated the repugnant ideas. But his life shows that Byrd later repudiated those ideas, and were not evident. The elder Byrd was not the same man as the younger Byrd, a view not at all inconsistent with the Christian faith which holds that change is possible.

I do not know if the change was deep, affecting the soul, or merely a shallow movement rooted in political pragmatism. But either way, Byrd changed. His later life was a testament to change, an attitude which rejected his earlier.

So I have to ask, how do you account for Strom Thurmond, a Republican who was earlier a Dem, opposed to civil rights, ran for president on the States' rights ticket (a party founded on segregationist principles. Strom Thurmond never renounced his earlier position , defending it as "contextual" part of southern, Christian, society and a position of states rights. Byrd and Thurmond alternated holding the post of President Pro tempore of the Senate. There lives paralledd in many ways. But one a liberal, the other a conservative.

Biden eulogized Thurmond as a product of his time, a Dixiecrat who moved to the good side.

Was Biden correct on Thurmond?
                Which is to say that "guilt by association" is a logical fallacy, correct?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Do you mind fast-forwarding a little, and departing in a huff like Adrift?
                  Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Guilt by association? Wow, talk about a straw argument. I have not argued that milk is at all racist, but that milk is used by racists, the "dog whistle", the trolling of liberals. I am arguing against the position which denies that the racist dog whistles exist.

The fact is that some are pretty tolerant of the ideas, where a Christian on Tweb feels comfortable with stating that he is willing to adopt racist images, in order to troll liberals. The statement was made (I suspect) to troll me. The whole Pepe the frog meme use was about trolling and mocking liberals, yet in the US the image was used by racists and has taken on racist connotations.

4 chan and reddit are internet discussion platforms which became platforms for antichristian ideas. is Tweb really much different? The fact is that if a Christian. such as Norrinrad, took the icons of Shlomo "lampshade" Shekelstein or 1488, the Tweb community would need to address it, either ban the images, pull his "Christian" label, or ban him. "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children" would most likely pull Christians into parsing it, finding ways to look at it as acceptable, defending the statement!
                    I changed my avatar just for you.

Comment

Racist!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

But would you use Noseberg 'Lampshade' Shekelstein in an avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          The problem with your examples is that the racist do not have power or control anymore and are a dying breed. The KKK and groups like them do not boast million people memberships nor have politicians in their pockets now. They are a dying breed grasping for attention.
                          so, I take it you believe that racism is (almost) dead, a thing of the past, and if the KKK and groups like them disappear, then racism also disappears!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Or perhaps Norrin doesn't want to be kowtowed by nonsensical racial memes.
                            Why wouldn't a Christian find antisemitic memes odious? And wrong.

the Noseberg Shekelstein is trolling, meant to be taken in jest, but also represents a warped sense of humor. It coincides with real, historical, negative stereotypes: hooked nose, greedy money grubber, la belle juive, etc., which have not died out and gone extinct. Jewface comedy was acceptable at one time, and done by Jews themselves, but it is wrong and should be condemned.

But why should Christians condemn such things?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Racist!
                              It's milk from a brown cow!

Comment

so, I take it you believe that racism is (almost) dead, a thing of the past, and if the KKK and groups like them disappear, then racism also disappears!
                                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 02-05-2020, 06:21 AM.
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment