Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So The American Heartland Is A Racist Term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1488 is absolutely a thing. As I have mentioned elsewhere, it is a banned wager on Jeopardy because somebody randomly bet a number, ended up with that amount, and it very much got the Internet's attention. You having never personally heard of it does not somehow invalidate its existence.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
      So the 1488 stuff is just a hoax?
      I don't even know what this is referring to, and I honestly don't have any desire to find out.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I did not imply that 420 was a racist thing, but presented it as an example of a numeral being imbued with meaning outside of its role in arithmetic. It is an effective communication tool, both the sender and the receiver can recognize its meaning, it gained a certain panache because of its ambiguity. Communication depends on both parties recognizing the meaning.
        So which is it, that the alt right racists would be interested in Trump or not??
        Logically? Unlikely because his political and personal stance is one that is pro Jewish.

The Unite the Right Rally at Charlottesville is hardly ancient history. 14, 88, and 1488 was part of the message, they exist and have been used for decades among neo nazi groups.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          And these things have power because you let them. Sounds like a lot of internet trolls are taking the left for a ride and you’re riding right along with them.

Logically? Unlikely because his political and personal stance is one that is pro Jewish.

Sounds like the trolls are taking you for a ride and you’re letting them.
          So you do not recognize the reality that the alt right glommed onto Trump, seeing their cause advanced by his election.

To dismiss the alt right as only trolls minimizes and ignores their reality. Unite the Right was their height, the point when they could transform the internet phenomenon into a political force which could be mobilized on the streets. Their undoing was the overt use of the symbolism, swastikas and hoods, open speeches explaining the meaning of 1488, and the unfortunate car ramming. In some respects, the young woman who died was a martyr, it was the naked violence that did the most to turn those inclined to be fellow travelers against the movement.

So why was your earlier comment diametrically opposed to reality? It shows your complete naivety concerning the alt rights position in this country's political climate. And considering the growth of alt right movements across the globe it is not without consequence.

Comment

It's like Morgan Freeman once said, the best way to combat racism is to stop talking about it. He doesn't even like the idea of Black History Month, because in his mind, why should all of black history be given only a single month? Why not simply teach history without creating artificial divisions based on the color of someone's skin?

Comment

So you do not recognize the reality that the alt right glommed onto Trump, seeing their cause advanced by his election.
              And the New Black Panthers glommed onto Obama. So what? Politicians can't help which groups choose to support them, and besides, Trump has openly and explicitly denounced those groups, which is more than can be said about Obama who didn't have one word to say about the New Black Panther members who stood guard outside of certain polling places in order to intimidate white voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                And the New Black Panthers glommed onto Obama. So what? Politicians can't help which groups choose to support them, and besides, Trump has openly and explicitly denounced those groups, which is more than can be said about Obama who didn't have one word to say about the New Black Panther members who stood guard outside of certain polling places in order to intimidate white voters.
                Lil pixie said that Trump's philosemitism made support of the alt right unlikely. Yet the alt right supported Trump. It shows that Pixie is approaching the subject with preconceived notions about the politics involved, notions which are not rooted in reality.

Whataboutism or tu quoque does not alter that fact. Obama did need to distance himself from it, just as Trump should have.

Comment

Lil pixie said that Trump's philosemitism made support of the alt right unlikely. Yet the alt right supported Trump. It shows that Pixie is approaching the subject with preconceived notions about the politics involved, notions which are not rooted in reality.
                  Whataboutism or tu quoque does not alter that fact. Obama did need to distance himself from it, just as Trump should have.
                  Trump has, liberals just pull the standard trick where they ignore details they dislike, to pick a narrative.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

To dismiss the alt right as only trolls minimizes and ignores their reality. Unite the Right was their height, the point when they could transform the internet phenomenon into a political force which could be mobilized on the streets. Their undoing was the overt use of the symbolism, swastikas and hoods, open speeches explaining the meaning of 1488, and the unfortunate car ramming. In some respects, the young woman who died was a martyr, it was the naked violence that did the most to turn those inclined to be fellow travelers against the movement.
                    So why was your earlier comment diametrically opposed to reality? It shows your complete naivety concerning the alt rights position in this country's political climate. And considering the growth of alt right movements across the globe it is not without consequence.
                    I pointed out the logical contradiction. Not my problem you refuse to address it.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Since when has ignoring the reality of an evil ever helped to drive out the evil? Ignoring evil helps to perpetuate it.

it was calling out the evil of racism which made the civil rights movement succeed in obliterating the odious laws.

Comment

Since when has ignoring the reality of an evil ever helped to drive out the evil? Ignoring evil helps to perpetuate it.

it was calling out the evil of racism which made the civil rights movement succeed in obliterating the odious laws.
                        Do you give attention seekers, attention?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I suppose that you would find it funny if a teenage son took on a fascination with the number 420.

Remember, the swastika is just a symbol, 1488 is just a number. And since they have been used with innocuous meanings in the past, you can sweep aside consternation and hand wringing if a group sporting those symbols started assembling in front of your community's synagogue?

I suppose you would burst into laughter?
                          Some symbols actually mean something. Others are liberals straining at gnats, and finding racists under every rock and pebble.

Comment

yes, I am aware that you were mocking the whole racism thing. But the irony, which is lost on you, is that the milk, heartland, Pepe the Frog, Kekistan, were also used to mock the racism thing. But were openly used by racists. Kekistan had a special pride of place in alt right rally at Charlottesville in 2017, Unite the Right Rally wanted to unite Kekistanis under their banner.

Chugging milk is a neutral thing, nothing inherently racist about it. But it is used by racists. So is "heartland" and Pepe the Frog.
                            Racists eat a McDonalds, take showers, sleep in beds, use the toilet, watch TV, etc. I guess that makes everything racist, huh?

Oh man, I bet if a white nationalist got on TV and announced he was a Democrat, then that would mean the Democrat Party is racist! And then everyone would have to become Republican and vote for Trump.

This whole attitude of guilt by association (with milk nonetheless!!) reminds me of this cartoon:

Dilbert racism.jpg
                            Last edited by Sparko; 02-03-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Oh man, I bet if a white nationalist got on TV and announced he was a Democrat, then that would mean the Democrat Party is racist! And then everyone would have to become Republican and vote for Trump.
                              Robert Byrd: Democrat Senator, Exalted Cyclops of the KKK, and a dear, dear friend and mentor of Hillary Clinton who fondly described him as "the conscience of the Senate".

Let's see what simplicio makes of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Robert Byrd: Democrat Senator, Exalted Cyclops of the KKK, and a dear, dear friend and mentor of Hillary Clinton who fondly described him as "the conscience of the Senate".

Let's see what simplicio makes of that!
                                Obviously he doesn't count!

Comment