Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election Denier elected to replace Nancy Pelosi as House Democrat leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Pro-choice advocates ARE standing on the principles they preach CP. The problem with the Republicans is that they abandoned the principles they claimed to follow - eggregiously!
    So, let's compare and contrast....

A) The liberals are loyal to their "principles" which are centered on the culture of death, and they "honor" those principles by essentially making abortion their #1 priority.
    2) The conservatives have much higher "principles" which they appear to abandon, yet they still manage to work, for whatever reason, to "save babies".

Is A better than 2 simply because they "honor their principles"?

Well, that actually goes to the second key problem we face wrt the growing polarization. When was the last time we looked objectively at why someone we disagree with believes what they do without first determining a priori they are wrong and necessarily evil just for holding that position?
    Look at ME! You are dead wrong on 99.97% in EVERYTHING, and tend to be rather.. um. assertive? And I still try to be your friend!

[ --- CP is just poking at Jim, and will stop any time Jim objects, and has communicated that to him --- ]

I hear you. Now, can you hear me when I tell you that my current resolve not to vote for Republicans that align themselves with and overtly champion the lies of Donald Trump does not in any way imply I necessarily support the majority of Democratic party policies or talking points.
    Sure, but I think - and I'm serious about this - that you are SO affected by your anger toward Trump and his ilk that you pretty much see that in the vast majority of Republicans. I think you're in a place where, unless somebody outright calls Trump a pathological liar, you tend to believe that person "supports Trump".

Meanwhile, you tend to rush in and defend any liberal who gets attacked, especially if they're 'attacked' by somebody who doesn't hate Trump.

What it means is that i truly believe that the trend toward personality over constitution, even to the point of discarding law and nearly all the principles of the founding fathers in the process, is a far more pressing danger to the nation than the whole of the Democratic policies I disagree with
    And, in my sincere honest opinion, Jim, I don't know another person on the planet (personally, not on the world stage) who appears more politically one-sided than you. I know I have biases, and I try to allow for them in seeing through things, but I am, quite honestly, fully aware that I tend to see the Democrats, generally speaking, as pawns of "the god of this world", with their overall agenda that flies in the face of everything we hold dear - family, God created male and female, marriage, sanctity of human life, law and order....

I am DRAWN to people whose beliefs are not like mine - my "day job" involves working with a vast majority of people who don't share my values. I work with them, I share meals with them, I talk to them like friends, I show them respect.... but I know they're WAY wrong on so many issues.

But think about this --- I actually risk my friendship with you simply by telling you how I feel and what I believe.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It appears that Time magazine is upset because Jeffries is being called an election denier for, well, clearly denying the results of the 2016 election -- including long after he had to be aware that there just was no basis to his claims. Basically, Time has decided to redefine "election denial" as being something that only Republicans, and specifically Trump can do.

"The term “election denier” has taken on a particular meaning, however, after Trump’s failed re-election campaign. The phrase has come to be associated with Republicans who claim the 2020 election was stolen from Trump, assert without evidence there was fraud in 2020 voting, and cast doubt on secure voting systems—claims that lead to the deadly January 6, 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Calling Jeffries an “election denier’ is misleading and conflates different issues"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It appears that Time magazine is upset because Jeffries is being called an election denier for, well, clearly denying the results of the 2016 election -- including long after he had to be aware that there just was no basis to his claims. Basically, Time has decided to redefine "election denial" as being something that only Republicans, and specifically Trump can do.

"The term “election denier” has taken on a particular meaning, however, after Trump’s failed re-election campaign. The phrase has come to be associated with Republicans who claim the 2020 election was stolen from Trump, assert without evidence there was fraud in 2020 voting, and cast doubt on secure voting systems—claims that lead to the deadly January 6, 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Calling Jeffries an “election denier’ is misleading and conflates different issues"

Liberals are good at that. Racism is something only white cis males can do. Denying elections is something only Republicans do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Liberals are good at that. Racism is something only white cis males can do. Denying elections is something only Republicans do.
          I wonder how they explain the blatant racism that the Chicoms exhibit toward blacks -- like rounding up all of the African exchange students around Beijing during the Olympics and placing them in confinement for the duration because, well, everyone knows that Africans are a bunch of thieves and they'll ruin the Olympics.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            Our election systems and more over our elections officials and volunteers have done exemplary jobs in making sure our elections are fair, accurate, and secure. And that is that.
            No they haven't. American elections are the laughingstock of the world. Third world countries run elections better than you do. To make matters worse Arizona is once again an embarrassment. At least Florida learned from the Al Gore debacle.

As long a America's election remain a joke political grifters will continue to jump on the stolen election nonsense and you will continue to deserve it.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

No they haven't. American elections are the laughingstock of the world. Third world countries run elections better than you do. To make matters worse Arizona is once again an embarrassment. At least Florida learned from the Al Gore debacle.

As long a America's election remain a joke political grifters will continue to jump on the stolen election nonsense and you will continue to deserve it.
              Any of the States' lottery commissions can tell you THE VERY SAME NIGHT who won the lottery, where they live, and the very store from which it was purchased. Maybe they should run elections!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Any of the States' lottery commissions can tell you THE VERY SAME NIGHT who won the lottery, where they live, and the very store from which it was purchased. Maybe they should run elections!

But our elections are supposed to be anonymous to stop buying and blackmailing of votes so...

Comment

Most I'm familiar with immediately know where and when the winning ticket was bought, but until the winner steps forward nobody including the government knows who it is.

Comment

But our elections are supposed to be anonymous to stop buying and blackmailing of votes so...
                    And here I wasted an entire afternoon standing around the early voting location with straw stuffed in my shoes and absolutely nobody caught on that I was offering my vote for sale

As an aside, I think Walker is going to lose today and by almost 2 points.

Comment

So is the lottery until somebody comes forward to claim their winnings.

(so, yeah, the lottery commission doesn't know "who" by name - just that "an individual" bought the winning ticket at a specific gas station, grocery store, or wherever)

The point is, the lottery commission knows exactly how many tickets were printed, distributed, sold, and, subsequently, redeemed. Technology!!!

Comment

So is the lottery until somebody comes forward to claim their winnings.

(so, yeah, the lottery commission doesn't know "who" by name - just that "an individual" bought the winning ticket at a specific gas station, grocery store, or wherever)

The point is, the lottery commission knows exactly how many tickets were printed, distributed, sold, and, subsequently, redeemed. Technology!!!
                        Of course, those systems are standardized throughout the state (multiple states), and are connected by the internet.

There doesn't appear to be any will to spend money to modernize and standardize our voting system/machines. Plus, I'm not sure how comfortable people would be with internet connectivity of voting machines....to much chance of hacking (with little way of knowing it happened)

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Of course, those systems are standardized throughout the state (multiple states), and are connected by the internet.

There doesn't appear to be any will to spend money to modernize and standardize our voting system/machines. Plus, I'm not sure how comfortable people would be with internet connectivity of voting machines....to much chance of hacking (with little way of knowing it happened)
                          Yup, aside from the fact that all states get to decide how to run their elections. Florida got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Let's face it, some precincts will always be late since they're waiting to see how many votes are needed to win before sending in their tally.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Let's face it, some precincts will always be late since they're waiting to see how many votes are needed to win before sending in their tally.
                              And they have to decide which of their voters will be counted how many times.

Comment

And they have to decide which of their voters will be counted how many times.
                                I think it was Philadelphia that mastered the "misplaced ballot box" that would get found in the trunk of a poll worker that always happened to be stuffed full of ballots for the Democrat candidate with nary a vote for the Republican. Not a single contrarian in the entire precinct.

Comment