Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Single Mother Hood And Household Income...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

Many states like mine have a higher minimum wage than what the Feds require. But I'm against all minimum wage requirements.
    That's fine, but as long as we do have a minimum wage, does it not make sense to have it tied to inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

That's fine, but as long as we do have a minimum wage, does it not make sense to have it tied to inflation?
      No, since we shouldn't have it in the first place. I mean at my shop everybody makes quite a bit more than minimum. Besides it just raises the cost of everything.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

No, since we shouldn't have it in the first place. I mean at my shop everybody makes quite a bit more than minimum. Besides it just raises the cost of everything.
        My point is that the cost of everything is already being raised because of inflation / increased cost of living but wages aren't being increased to reflect this new reality. This extends to a wider problem where newer generations have nowhere near the wealth that previous generations did at the same age which creates a depression economy. That's why there's been a big push lately for UBI, because when low-income workers get more money, they spend it locally, which is good for everyone. Raising the minimum wage works the same way. Our current system only benefits those with the means to exploit the depression through investing inherited wealth.

Comment

My point is that the cost of everything is already being raised because of inflation / increased cost of living but wages aren't being increased to reflect this new reality. This extends to a wider problem where newer generations have nowhere near the wealth that previous generations did at the same age which creates a depression economy. That's why there's been a big push lately for UBI, because when low-income workers get more money, they spend it locally, which is good for everyone. Raising the minimum wage works the same way. Our current system only benefits those with the means to exploit the depression through investing inherited wealth.
          Raising the minimum wage to the levels people are pushing for only serves to eliminate entry level jobs, which means if you didn't already have a job before the minimum wage was raised, you won't be able to get one after. This has been observed actually happening where the minimum wage was raised drastically. What is your explanation for it?

And on the topic of inflation, shouldn't we just do away with it? The government causes it intentionally, so they can stop causing it, right?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Burwell v. Hobby Lobby for one, but I'm more specifically talking about providing contraception in middle schools and high schools. Your characterization of minimum wage and workers rate is inaccurate, and what any given "leader" on my "side" says is irrelevant and a straw man.
            That wasn't restricting access to contraceptives but rather requiring someone else to pay for them. You can still stop buy any family planning center or county health center and pick up most types of birth control for little or nothing. And I'm not sure it is the school's job to be handing out birth control devices but I wouldn't be too upset if they were made available through the school nurse (if they still exist).

As for minimum wage... I've seen it happen. I know people that it happened to. A couple of employees get a raise while a few others get terminated in order to cover that expense.

As for leaders on your side describing losing your job as "funemployment." That should give you a window into their mindset if nothing else -- and it ain't pretty.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post

Raising the minimum wage to the levels people are pushing for only serves to eliminate entry level jobs, which means if you didn't already have a job before the minimum wage was raised, you won't be able to get one after. This has been observed actually happening where the minimum wage was raised drastically. What is your explanation for it?

And on the topic of inflation, shouldn't we just do away with it? The government causes it intentionally, so they can stop causing it, right?
              The minimum wage in Washington, D.C. is $15, are there no entry-level jobs there? Were there no entry-level jobs in 1968, when the minimum wage was equivalent to $12.09 in 2021?

How would you expect the government to do away with inflation?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                That wasn't restricting access to contraceptives but rather requiring someone else to pay for them. You can still stop buy any family planning center or county health center and pick up most types of birth control for little or nothing. And I'm not sure it is the school's job to be handing out birth control devices but I wouldn't be too upset if they were made available through the school nurse (if they still exist).

As for minimum wage... I've seen it happen. I know people that it happened to. A couple of employees get a raise while a few others get terminated in order to cover that expense.

As for leaders on your side describing losing your job as "funemployment." That should give you a window into their mindset if nothing else -- and it ain't pretty.
                It's weird that you don't consider removing coverage from health insurance as restricting access. Happy to see we agree that teenagers should get free contraceptives if they want to.

Increased minimum wage can be covered in all sorts of ways. Firing people is a deliberate choice, assuming the business wasn't failing to begin with and depended upon it's workers not earning a real living to function.

Out of curiosity, who are these leaders talking about funemployment you keep mentioning?

Comment

It's weird that you don't consider removing coverage from health insurance as restricting access. Happy to see we agree that teenagers should get free contraceptives if they want to.

Increased minimum wage can be covered in all sorts of ways. Firing people is a deliberate choice, assuming the business wasn't failing to begin with and depended upon it's workers not earning a real living to function.

Out of curiosity, who are these leaders talking about funemployment you keep mentioning?
                  It's weird that you consider forcing others to pay for your contraceptives as somehow a right.

Businesses have a bottom line with all expenses carefully calculated. When you legislate in new expenses something has to give.

Keep in mind that for Pelosi and other Democrats things like unemployment checks and food stamps are better than creating jobs for the economy saying they provide a bigger bang for the buck

She also said that they "creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name" which begs the question if food stamps and unemployment are better than jobs, as she said, why would you want to create jobs at all? Could it be that she knows what she was spewing is a load of bovine scat?

Still one of my favorite Pelosisms is when she said that people losing their jobs ought to be regarded not as rising unemployment but rather an increase in "funemployment." That's because you should consider yourself lucky to be out of work because

"Now you don't have to do that job that you've hated all along. If you want to go out and paint watercolors in Golden Gate Park and try to sell 'em down in the Tenderloin, you can do it. You no longer have to be a prisoner do a job that you don't like."

Of course you could have simply googled "funemployment" yourself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's weird that you consider forcing others to pay for your contraceptives as somehow a right.

Businesses have a bottom line with all expenses carefully calculated. When you legislate in new expenses something has to give.

Of course you could have simply googled "funemployment" yourself.
                    The only people forced to pay were taxpayers since companies weren't forced to cover contraception if they didn't want to.

Why can't the price of goods/services give? Why can't administration / executive expenses / salaries give?

That quote comes solely from Rush Limbaugh's website. I think I was able to track down the source, which this website goes into: https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...t-of-happiness Pelosi was saying that not tying healthcare to employment allows for people to become independent contractors, nothing to do with funemployment. Also, by what definition is Pelosi "a leader of my side"? You also said leaders plural, who else were you referring to?

Comment