Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Single Mother Hood And Household Income...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

Unfortunate that conservative policy makes 1 and 3 (and arguably 2) more difficult than they need to be.
    In the liberal mindset an abortion is the universal cure for anything that ails ya.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      In the liberal mindset an abortion is the universal cure for anything that ails ya.
      Nothing to do with abortion. I'm referring to things like a higher minimum wage, expanded worker's rights, comprehensive sex-ed, and better access to contraception.

Comment

Nothing to do with abortion. I'm referring to things like a higher minimum wage, expanded worker's rights, comprehensive sex-ed, and better access to contraception.
        How is it that Asians, a minority, do so much better than every one else even without all the extras above?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

How is it that Asians, a minority, do so much better than every one else even without all the extras above?
          Indeed, an excellent question.

Well, we do know it isn't anything to do with race, or, say anti-black racism (like the left so loves to blame), because we can look at African-born immigrants and see that they and their families do leaps and bounds better than African-Americans native to America, despite often coming to the country with a state of poverty far lower than anything any 'poor' in America have ever experienced. So it clearly has nothing to do with race, nor anti-black racism (they're black as well, often even moreso than native-born African-Americans.

In reality, I suspect most of it is a culture thing. The current greatest threat to African Americans in the US is the culture that has developed in their communities in the last 40 or so years, IMO.

Comment

Why does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Indeed, an excellent question.

Well, we do know it isn't anything to do with race, or, say anti-black racism (like the left so loves to blame), because we can look at African-born immigrants and see that they and their families do leaps and bounds better than African-Americans native to America, despite often coming to the country with a state of poverty far lower than anything any 'poor' in America have ever experienced. So it clearly has nothing to do with race, nor anti-black racism (they're black as well, often even moreso than native-born African-Americans.

In reality, I suspect most of it is a culture thing. The current greatest threat to African Americans in the US is the culture that has developed in their communities in the last 40 or so years, IMO.
              Yep. There is some real poison in black culture right now. I can't find it online, but I recall about 20 years ago Spike Lee was raging about how how black culture had embraced ignorance; that is was "cool" to be uneducated.

Comment

Why does it matter?
                Perhaps because hard work and right living, without all of your government benefits, pays off - no matter the race,,,
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Perhaps because hard work and right living, without all of your government benefits, pays off - no matter the race,,,
                  If that were true, hard work and right living would pay off more if low-income wages kept pace with inflation.

Comment

I haven't run across anyone trying to restrict access to contraception for decades. Next you'll be complaining about needing to take the lead out of gasoline.

As for the first two, typically you end up helping two and putting three in the unemployment line. That's not a net gain. But then again, one of the leaders from your side is positively giddy about high unemployment numbers calling it "funemployment" and talking about how lucky they are to have the time to pursue favorite past-times and hobbies.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And there has been a lot in the news lately about the sort of discrimination they face. And yet...

Comment

If that were true, hard work and right living would pay off more if low-income wages kept pace with inflation.
                        That is nonsense, minimum wage jobs are meant to be a stepping stone. Every place I worked payed way more than minimum wage.

Comment

Look at that graphic I posted again. There is a pretty successful path out of poverty. It works three out of four times.

Stay in school, don't have a kid when you're still one yourself and when you graduate, stay employed.

If you want to improve the odds even more I'd add stay away from drugs and alcohol. I'd be willing to wager that is a factor with the majority of the 25% who don't advance out of poverty following those three simple steps.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I haven't run across anyone trying to restrict access to contraception for decades. Next you'll be complaining about needing to take the lead out of gasoline.

As for the first two, typically you end up helping two and putting three in the unemployment line. That's not a net gain. But then again, one of the leaders from your side is positively giddy about high unemployment numbers calling it "funemployment" and talking about how lucky they are to have the time to pursue favorite past-times and hobbies.
                            Burwell v. Hobby Lobby for one, but I'm more specifically talking about providing contraception in middle schools and high schools. Your characterization of minimum wage and workers rate is inaccurate, and what any given "leader" on my "side" says is irrelevant and a straw man.

Comment

That is nonsense, minimum wage jobs are meant to be a stepping stone. Every place I worked payed way more than minimum wage.
                              If that were true, they would be a better stepping stone if their wages kept pace with inflation.

Comment

If that were true, they would be a better stepping stone if their wages kept pace with inflation.
                                Many states like mine have a higher minimum wage than what the Feds require. But I'm against all minimum wage requirements.

Comment