This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    My view doesn't go quite as far as how he describes it but it is fairly close.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Um, well, in this case Wretched Todd is the one who's not up to speed.

"Wednesday" (Addams) is a popular *current* Netflix program created by the same guys who created Smallville 20+ years ago.

Beyond that, I'm not really on the same page as the Wretched Mr. Friel, as usual. I think the Addams-theme church service is a bit dopey, but I don't agree with the implication that a church service is supposed to be buttoned-down and stodgy and formal. And I don't think Mr. Casual Pastor's broad use of the 1 Cor. citation is any worse than Wretched's narrow and stringent use. I'm also, as usual, more with Luther than with Calvin, since he dragged them into it. I couldn't make myself watch past 11 minutes.
      ? How does the speaker's statement, "Paul says, 'I'll do whatever it takes, short・of・sin' " relate to the commentator's interpretation, "As long as someone gets saved, who cares how we facilitate that" followed by "That's nonsense because it assumes that what is being done isn't sinful and prohibited."
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Myself and Little Joe.
        Burn the witches!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Burn the witches!!!!!
          Whoa there! Slow down! We need to ascertain guilt here first.

Anybody gotta duck?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Whoa there! Slow down! We need to ascertain guilt here first.

Anybody gotta duck?
            Where's eider when you need him?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Where's eider when you need him?
              The silly goose has a duck?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The silly goose has a duck?
                per Wikipedia: The eiders are large seaducks in the genus Somateria. The three extant species all breed in the cooler latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. Eider.

eider.jpg
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

per Wikipedia: The eiders are large seaducks in the genus Somateria. The three extant species all breed in the cooler latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere. Eider.

eider.jpg
                  IOW, the silly goose IS a duck

Comment

IOW, the silly goose IS a duck
                    I have been tempted to call him ducky on occasion - but - NCIS's Ducky and all that.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Myself and Little Joe.
                      This isn't about me?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have been tempted to call him ducky on occasion - but - NCIS's Ducky and all that.

Comment

There's an interesting story about that that goes back to when I was a wee lad in Scotland....

[Gibbs] Ya got anything for me Dr. Mallard? [/Gibbs]
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder how many folks consider Oord a heretic.
                            He was promoting universalism in a Facebook group I'm in a year or two ago.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

He was promoting universalism in a Facebook group I'm in a year or two ago.
                              Here's an interesting look at that: The Pastoral Malpractice of Preaching Universalism
                              In the historic teaching of the Church, preaching can be summarized with the words of the Lord and of His saints: “Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.” Preaching is essentially an exhortation to repentance. It is the command to do something—to repent—because something is happening—the Kingdom is coming.

But how would you frame this preaching if universalism is true?

Assuming that all will be saved no matter what, why exactly should people be exhorted to repent?

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Here's an interesting look at that: The Pastoral Malpractice of Preaching Universalism
                                In the historic teaching of the Church, preaching can be summarized with the words of the Lord and of His saints: “Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.” Preaching is essentially an exhortation to repentance. It is the command to do something—to repent—because something is happening—the Kingdom is coming.

But how would you frame this preaching if universalism is true?

Assuming that all will be saved no matter what, why exactly should people be exhorted to repent?

This is adjacent to the oft-cited idea that the church somehow puts way too much emphasis on the idea of eternal life, presumably to the detriment of putting Jesus's teachings into emphasis on the ground level. I even heard it from the pulpit recently and I've seen the idea on TWeb. I never see this fleshed out in an idea I find satisfactory. After all, Paul teaches that we are without hope had Jesus not been raised.

Universalists have a couple of responses to this - one is that if it's true, it's true regardless of the implications, and the other (generally from the more conservative universalists who hold to more or less orthodox beliefs otherwise) is that the sinner can at least avoid a stay in purgatory. But given that I presuppose that universalism is not true, it seems to be pastoral malpractice at the very minimum, in large part for the reason you cite.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment