This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Enough with the squirrels! Move along, folks.

Get back to exposing heresy, ok?
    I started reading Ted Dekker's* books again after getting Kindle Unlimited. I found out he is now a Christian mystic and is teaching some very messed up stuff. He's now selling a book called "The Forgotten Way" which teaches that humans are divine, universalism, and that reality is an illusion. It also pushes the idea that subjective experiences are the only way to truly ever know God or our "true selves".

*Before he got into this stuff he was my favorite Christian author. I still like his older books but this newer stuff is .

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I started reading Ted Dekker's* books again after getting Kindle Unlimited. I found out he is now a Christian mystic and is teaching some very messed up stuff. He's now selling a book called "The Forgotten Way" which teaches that humans are divine, universalism, and that reality is an illusion. It also pushes the idea that subjective experiences are the only way to truly ever know God or our "true selves".

*Before he got into this stuff he was my favorite Christian author. I still like his older books but this newer stuff is .

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yeah, it's not good. Finding out has been a real gut punch for me. He's a really good writer but he's got some seriously messed up ideas now. After seeing that, it wasn't too surprising to hear that he endorsed The Shack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Yeah, it's not good. Finding out has been a real gut punch for me. He's a really good writer but he's got some seriously messed up ideas now. After seeing that, it wasn't too surprising to hear that he endorsed The Shack.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
            So this is how the ninja squirrel assassins came about -- this guy speaks them into existence (or at least claims to).

And the guy's last name befits him well.
            A great blog post from Sam Storms.

Why are Charismatics so Weird?

August 21, 2023 | By: Sam Storms

By Sam Storms (www.samstorms.org)
            I didn’t ask that question. Justin Peters, well-known cessationist and critic of all things charismatic, did. He actually has a series of programs citing examples of strange and often unbiblical things that certain Pentecostals or charismatics do or say.
            Make no mistake. I don’t for one minute endorse the things he cites. The examples he provides are indeed quite weird and bizarre. But the way in which Peters presents his case is itself quite weird, and to put it mildly, profoundly unfair and un-Christian.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I didn’t ask that question. Justin Peters, well-known cessationist and critic of all things charismatic, did. He actually has a series of programs citing examples of strange and often unbiblical things that certain Pentecostals or charismatics do or say.
              Make no mistake. I don’t for one minute endorse the things he cites. The examples he provides are indeed quite weird and bizarre. But the way in which Peters presents his case is itself quite weird, and to put it mildly, profoundly unfair and un-Christian.

His opinion, and yours. Quite un-Christian of him to be so critical.

Comment

5:24
                God is no respecter of persons.
                Bobby Connor said that he found that in the Bible and he said, “well, if God spoke to Moses face to face, he can speak to me face to face, because God is no respecter of persons, and so we carry this out to its logical conclusion: we must also conclude that Bobby Connor must also be able to part red seas and walk on water and raise the dead

(Peter walked on water and raised the dead)
                and yet he’s not doing any of those things, is he.
                Well, God is indeed no respecter of persons, and that is indeed in the Bible, but it’s in Acts chapter 10, in the context of Cornelius’ vision, and when Peter hears about this, he responds in the King James, “God is no respecter of persons.”

So far, no argument: except that the statement is shifted from Cornelius and his group’s conversion to Cornelius’ vision. It is a fairly minor error. Now comes a red flag (or at least a yellow one).
                As often as not, “what this/that means is” signals that the speaker is about to pull a swiftie.
                What that means is – Cornelius’ vision signified that the gospel goes out to all: both to Jew and to Greek and to Gentile.

The promulgation of the gospel is never in view in this pericope. The remainder of Peter’s statement, which specifies what Peter is referring to, Justin Peters elided: “35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him;” a statement will be deemed heretical by almost anyone who subscribes to the “not by works” precept.
                Contrary to the view of most Jews, they did not have exclusive rights to the family of God just because they were ethnic Jews. The gospel goes out to everyone … Paul says this in Romans chapter 1 does he not? “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto salvation …” That is what it means that “God is no respecter of persons.”

It is not what Peter’s statement means, not even close but, to quote Jordan Peter’s in a way that he did not intend:
                “Let’s not let the Bible get in the way of our theology.”

For the rest, yes: there is good cause for scepticism with regard to the claims made by Bobby Connor – even without his (at least bordering on) disrespectful references to God. Sam Storm's comments, as Norrin Radd cited, are spot on.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Look who "prophesied" that there would not be war in Israel. When will the man repent.

~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Look who "prophesied" that there would not be war in Israel. When will the man repent.

You'd think he'd have seen what was going to happen over the last couple of days, if he's such a good prophet.

Comment

Look who "prophesied" that there would not be war in Israel. When will the man repent.

Yeah but you have to have a war before you can have a peace. He is prophesying the peace that comes AFTER the war! That's the ticket!

Comment

• According to the Vatican, transgender people can now be baptized and serve as godparents.

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          According to the Vatican, transgender people can now be baptized and serve as godparents.
                          I heard that the other day.

Comment

• How to do church with a Halloween theme...........

Comment

How to do church with a Halloween theme...........

Um, well, in this case Wretched Todd is the one who's not up to speed.

"Wednesday" (Addams) is a popular *current* Netflix program created by the same guys who created Smallville 20+ years ago.

Beyond that, I'm not really on the same page as the Wretched Mr. Friel, as usual. I think the Addams-theme church service is a bit dopey, but I don't agree with the implication that a church service is supposed to be buttoned-down and stodgy and formal. And I don't think Mr. Casual Pastor's broad use of the 1 Cor. citation is any worse than Wretched's narrow and stringent use. I'm also, as usual, more with Luther than with Calvin, since he dragged them into it. I couldn't make myself watch past 11 minutes.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Um, well, in this case Wretched Todd is the one who's not up to speed.

"Wednesday" (Addams) is a popular *current* Netflix program created by the same guys who created Smallville 20+ years ago.

Beyond that, I'm not really on the same page as the Wretched Mr. Friel, as usual. I think the Addams-theme church service is a bit dopey, but I don't agree with the implication that a church service is supposed to be buttoned-down and stodgy and formal. And I don't think Mr. Casual Pastor's broad use of the 1 Cor. citation is any worse than Wretched's narrow and stringent use. I'm also, as usual, more with Luther than with Calvin, since he dragged them into it. I couldn't make myself watch past 11 minutes.
                                I'm shocked you disagree with everything we post here.

Comment