Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cosby was my Childhood Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Here's what's super sad....Even if Cosby had an affair (I wouldn't put it past him) a drunk relationship with a stripper or a woman (well....it IS Hollywood and I would NEVER excuse the behavior) or exploited someone at the playboy mansion while ahem drunk and even a bit stoned... (what a shock bad behavior includes a stripper and Hugh Hefner)
    I can speculate even guess what actually happpened. I doubt it was actually rape.
    Rape can be a slippery term. If you coerce sex at gunpoint, maybe that's rape. If you drug someone to the point where she's barely conscious, maybe that's rape. If you demand sex as a condition of employment or opportunity, maybe that's rape. So you need some operational criteria to make a decision. Usually, what's used is whether or not the sex was fully informed and voluntary. Sex with someone who knows what to expect, and can blow the whistle if those expectations aren't met, should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      If, at any point, she says no.....
      Then you stop. But what about unequal power situations? If you're an aspiring actress/singer/whatever, and someone who can open all the important doors demands sex as the price for doing so, exactly how willing is the sex? It's no secret that there are a thousand fully-qualified actresses or musicians/songwriters for every opportunity, and being in the right place at the right time is all that separates the failures for the successes. If you trade sex (which you really don't want to do) for a foot in the door (which you really need), is that rape?

Comment

Originally posted by phank View Post
        Then you stop.
        Then it's not necessarily rape.

But what about unequal power situations? If you're an aspiring actress/singer/whatever, and someone who can open all the important doors demands sex as the price for doing so, exactly how willing is the sex?
        Depends on the statutes... in most states, probably, she still needs to indicate "no".

It's no secret that there are a thousand fully-qualified actresses or musicians/songwriters for every opportunity, and being in the right place at the right time is all that separates the failures for the successes. If you trade sex (which you really don't want to do) for a foot in the door (which you really need), is that rape?
        It's probably closer to prostitution.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Usually, what's used is whether or not the sex was fully informed
          Only if you're insane.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Here's what's super sad....Even if Cosby had an affair (I wouldn't put it past him) a drunk relationship with a stripper or a woman (well....it IS Hollywood and I would NEVER excuse the behavior) or exploited someone at the playboy mansion while ahem drunk and even a bit stoned... (what a shock bad behavior includes a stripper and Hugh Hefner)
            I can speculate even guess what actually happpened. I doubt it was actually rape.
            If it happened at all.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Why are we judging at all without access to all the facts? If there is a case to answer, have him stand trial. Let justice take its course.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                Why are we judging at all without access to all the facts? If there is a case to answer, have him stand trial. Let justice take its course.
                Exactly
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just as an aside, when I have a "hero" that I really like, I tend to do some snooping "backstage" to see if they're that "good" behind the scenes. I mean - what do their coworkers and employees say about them.

With Hollywood types, you can get a glimpse into them from interviews, and articles people write about them.

For example - Gary Senise. I really wanted to like him, ever since "Lt. Dan", so I started doing some background. I found ALL KINDS of good stuff, particularly from folks who traveled with him on his visits to the troops, and charity stuff, and everybody raved about what a "nice guy" he was behind the scenes. The key is that he's particularly nice to people he doesn't HAVE to be nice to.

I tried the same with Cosby. I just don't find that "yeah, he's such a wonderful person behind the scenes". I WANT to like Cosby -- remember, I started this thread calling him "my childhood hero". I'm just finding some not so good stuff.

Comment

Rape can be a slippery term. If you coerce sex at gunpoint, maybe that's rape. If you drug someone to the point where she's barely conscious, maybe that's rape. If you demand sex as a condition of employment or opportunity, maybe that's rape. So you need some operational criteria to make a decision. Usually, what's used is whether or not the sex was fully informed and voluntary. Sex with someone who knows what to expect, and can blow the whistle if those expectations aren't met, should be fine.
                    The fact that you would absolutely begin to tell me how to define rape as a strong woman is completely insulting. Don't do it again. I know damn good and well how to define it and there is no need for you to act like a donkey's bottom. I am not naive by any means and have been fully aware that non consensual sex and rape involves that at some point the woman asked to stop or said no was drugged (not both of them inhibited completely) but said no and he pressed on. I am guessing this is closer to a type of prostitution where sex was exploited to gain something in all or most cases (e.g. a way to the top of the game such as if you'll sleep with or do this I'd bet you'd get here) and when the person isn't at the total top the allegations begin. And I'm sure there's more than a drunk party or two involved. The arts not just hollywood, but every Ballet, and Opera is slammed with this behavior. I know one first hand story of an excellent soprano who DID NOT make it to the Metropolitan Opera Because she chose not to sleep with Luciano Pavoratti..... Others did, and made there way in.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      It was obvious, Littlejoe.
                      Not to the sarcastically impaired...
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Exactly
                        The statute of limitations has expired on all the ones I have heard about. Which is why Gloria Allred is saying Cosby should waive it for a civil suit to go forward...
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Not to the sarcastically impaired...
                          Wut he said. I wasn't sure he was serious.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Mrs Cosby speaks out, but I'm a bit puzzled by her "defense"....

Bill Cosby's wife, Camille, spoke out in support of her husband today, and suggested that the media has been quick to report unvetted accusations against him.

Camille Cosby said in a statement that her husband has been unfairly victimized by the allegations of sexual misconduct that have been leveled against him recently. Bill, she said, is the man that the public has long known through his work. "A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know. It is also a portrait painted by individuals and organizations whom many in the media have given a pass," she said.

"The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work. He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend," she added. "He is the man you thought you knew."

It's almost like she's allowing for there to be "another" Bill Cosby, but the one SHE knows........

She never says he didn't do it, but that he has been "unfairly victimized", and that last paragraph in the box above sounds a bit... I don't know.

Comment

Mrs Cosby speaks out, but I'm a bit puzzled by her "defense"....
                              Makes plenty of sense if she's in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                                Makes plenty of sense if she's in denial.
                                Sure.

Comment