Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How do they find them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    The predominant conspiracy theories about Soros in political circles I've heard is that he funds leftist movements in the US, which is a fact. Why a wealthy mongol like him does that is certainly open for debate. Anything else is probably just fringe nonsense, certainly not anywhere near equal to the predominant conspiracy theories surrounding Trump, like he's collaborating with Russia to betray this country or that he's a Putin puppet. Yet that doesn't bother me anywhere near as it seems to bother you about Soros.

Comment

The predominant conspiracy theories about Soros in political circles I've heard is that he funds leftist movements in the US, which is a fact. Why a wealthy mongol like him ...
      Umm...
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        Umm...
        I think that is an honest auto-type error, I think it is meant to say "mogul" as in "media mogul" or "financial mogul".

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I think that is an honest auto-type error, I think it is meant to say "mogul" as in "media mogul" or "financial mogul".
          Certainly. But it amused me.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I don't know if Greene actually believes that because I don't know much about her.
            Why do you consider an article in a reputable newspaper would invent things about her?

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            My whole point was the article I believe may be mischaracterizing her views because they've given me reason to believe that.
            What evidence from the article are you citing that supports your contention it has given you reason to believe that it may have presented a false or misleading portrayal of Greene?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
              Yes. I did call it out as bad to dehumanize people. Democrats just cared because they thought it could be used as a cudgel against Trump. Hence the hypocrisy here when people dehumanize those they don't like.
              I am not an American liberal. I can write what I like without fear or favour.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                I am not an American liberal. I can write what I like without fear or favour.
                I never claimed you were a Democrat.

However, writing about what you like without fear or favor isn't quite right. I mean, insulting others (such as you did here) is illegal in Germany. You are not able to deny the holocaust, etc.

Comment

I never claimed you were a Democrat.

However, writing about what you like without fear or favor isn't quite right. I mean, insulting others (such as you did here) is illegal in Germany.
                  The Beleidigunggesetz makes it illegal to disparage or insult someone in public but while the law may be applied, it often is overlooked. Similar laws exist in other countries. I believe the US has laws against defamation.

However, if a citizen publicly called their local Governor, or Senator a moronic imbecile would they be charged?

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                  You are not able to deny the holocaust, etc.
                  Do you think that bothers the Neo Nazis? In the last year or so members of AfD [which now has seats in the Bundestag] have been downplaying and even questioning the historical events of the Holocaust. My reference to such individuals as creatures seems remarkably restrained by comparison. Or are you going to defend their right to the freedom to express their views while criticising me for expressing mine?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The Beleidigunggesetz makes it illegal to disparage or insult someone in public but while the law may be applied, it often is overlooked. Similar laws exist in other countries. I believe the US has laws against defamation.

However, if a citizen publicly called their local Governor, or Senator a moronic imbecile would they be charged?

Do you think that bothers the Neo Nazis? In the last year or so members of AfD [which now has seats in the Bundestag] have been downplaying and even questioning the historical events of the Holocaust. My reference to such individuals as creatures seems remarkably restrained by comparison. Or are you going to defend their right to the freedom to express their views while criticising me for expressing mine?
                    I thought you complained about the US having horrible beliefs and many people with them. How many holocaust deniers do we actually have serving in our legislature.

Comment

I thought you complained about the US having horrible beliefs and many people with them.
                      My contempt for such people is not confined to Americans.

How many holocaust deniers do we actually have serving in our legislature.
                      You tell me.

Now, to my question, if a US citizen publicly called their local Governor or Senator a moronic imbecile [or even a contemptible creature] would they be charged?
                      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 08-16-2020, 10:06 AM.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My contempt for such people is not confined to Americans.

You tell me.

Now, to my question, if a US citizen publicly called their local Governor or Senator a moronic imbecile [or even a contemptible creature] would they be charged?
                        They would not. However, in Germany you might get fined 2250 euro after telling a politician they have the "IQ of a piece of toast".

That would be unheard of here. If it was....well, it's safe to say many democrats and republicans would be in very big trouble.

Comment

They would not. However, in Germany you might get fined 2250 euro after telling a politician they have the "IQ of a piece of toast".
                          The qualification being "might". It would also depend who wrote or said it, and precisely where.

That would be unheard of here. If it was....well, it's safe to say many democrats and republicans would be in very big trouble.
                          Could you clarify that remark for me please.

Are you defending the right of a citizen to tell a politician they have the "IQ of a piece of toast"?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The qualification being "might". It would also depend who wrote or said it, and precisely where.

Could you clarify that remark for me please.

Are you defending the right of a citizen to tell a politician they have the "IQ of a piece of toast"?
                            Well, yes. People have the right to call politicians all sorts of names. People even have the right to use racial slurs.

Though for clarity. If it was illegal to insult politicians, lots of people would be in trouble, because insulting politicians are a national past time.

On the other hand, just because someone has the legal right to use racial slurs, or insult politicians, does not mean that doing so is morally right. So, to put it another way. US Citizens have the right to dehumanize politicians and their followers, but that doesn't change the fact that it is vile and disgusting.

Comment

• Vermont Congressman Matthew Lyon once wrote a letter that criticized President John Adams as having "unbounded thirst for ridiculous pomp, foolish adulation, and self avarice." He was prosecuted and imprisoned under the Alien & Sedition Act for his opinion.

We've come a long way.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                Experiences vary.

I am becoming an outsider to my family, in that I'm an anti-BLM, pro-Blue Lives Matter, Irredeemable Deplorable.

However, while my family comprises mostly libs, my friends are mostly in line with me. I "Follow" various conservative sources on Facebook, including Tucker Carlson and the Daily Wire. The bad stuff I hear about Soros involves the odious causes he funds. I almost never hear the "Nazi" stuff.
                                Yeah, I rarely ever hear about his past mentioned. I think I've heard it once from Alex Jones maybe? I honestly don't know what Leon is referring to. In some circles I guess I've heard the accusation that he's all powerful and controls more stuff than he actually does? Other than that, I don't have a clue what he's talking about, but then I don't frequent twitter and facebook hardly at all.

Comment