Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    Interestingly it seems you want to point to what an op-ed in NY Times says while linking to Fox News... Reading the actual op-ed is rather interesting:
    How does that change anything? Many do want to abolish the police for a collective utopia that will never happen.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      How does that change anything? Many do want to abolish the police for a collective utopia that will never happen.
      My favorite kind of utopia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        To someone ignorant about the police like me, it does seem that if the corp has rotted through from top to bottom, you might have to basically lay them all off. Defund the whole thing. Then fly in experienced and good officers who you can build a new police force with.

And yes, find legal muscle to prevent the unions from stopping this.
        Here's the problem, Leon --- the nutters who support this idiocy in Minneapolis keep pointing to Camden as the model to do this.

The problem is that Camden did MUCH MORE like you are suggesting - a well thought out carefully executed plan to rebuild from the ground up, but FIRST securing police protection for their residents from the County instead of the city.

NOT "dismantling" the police department without an actual plan for police protection.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Here's the problem, Leon --- the nutters who support this idiocy in Minneapolis keep pointing to Camden as the model to do this.

The problem is that Camden did MUCH MORE like you are suggesting - a well thought out carefully executed plan to rebuild from the ground up, but FIRST securing police protection for their residents from the County instead of the city.

NOT "dismantling" the police department without an actual plan for police protection.
          If what you're laying out is the case, then it seems to have gone off its track. I hope it can be steered back by calmer minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            If what you're laying out is the case, then it seems to have gone off its track. I hope it can be steered back by calmer minds.
            The Mayor is already appealing for calm and reason, even Joe Biden is advising against "defund Police".... and I believe all of the city council members are up for reelection.
            PERHAPS the good citizens of Minneapolis can fire these MOE-rons and replace them with adults, or send a strong message that they better reverse course, and fast.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or perhaps you just don't know what you are talking about when you assert that they plan to just do away with the current police dept. without any system of law enforcement to replace it.
              Last edited by JimL; 06-13-2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Or perhaps you just don't know what you are talking about
                I actually do.

when you assert that they plan to just do away with the current police dept.
                Perhaps you should actually read the words they are saying.

Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department

without any system of law enforcement to replace it.
                Well, that was initially what your MOE-ron heroes were saying, but, fortunately, they've begun to walk it back....

"We're not going to tomorrow all the sudden have nobody for you to call for help. There will be thoughtful and intentional work that's done, research engagement, learning that happens in a transition that will happen over time," Cunningham said.

Many people have asked, in this visionary future with no police, "Who do you call when there's no 911?" One of the speakers on Sunday said it would be family and neighbors.

The MOE-rons are getting push-back, and they're MAYBE waking up to the fact that their initial plan was nuttery beyond anything even YOU could conceive.

Comment

Or perhaps you just don't know what you are talking about when you assert that they plan to just do away with the current police dept. without any system of law enforcement to replace it.
                  Show me. Show me the plan.

Comment

I actually do.
                    No, you really don't. Your just making assertions without knowing the full intentions of the city council other than their intention to disband the police dept.

Perhaps you should actually read the words they are saying.

Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department
                    Right, they intend to disband the police. What they didn't say is that they plan to go without any type of policing. That idea is just an assertion of your's, trying to portray them as Moe-rons.

Well, that was initially what your MOE-ron heroes were saying, but, fortunately, they've begun to walk it back....

"We're not going to tomorrow all the sudden have nobody for you to call for help. There will be thoughtful and intentional work that's done, research engagement, learning that happens in a transition that will happen over time," Cunningham said.
                    Many people have asked, in this visionary future with no police, "Who do you call when there's no 911?" One of the speakers on Sunday said it would be family and neighbors.
                    No, it's not a walk back, because the idea that their intent was to have no sort of law enforcement at all never came from them, it came from you.
                    The MOE-rons are getting push-back, and they're MAYBE waking up to the fact that their initial plan was nuttery beyond anything even YOU could conceive.
                    Again, no walk back, CP. You're making that up to make them look bad.

Comment

Show me. Show me the plan.
                      Who said they've established a plan yet. This just happened, CP. What their final plan is has to be worked out. All they know is that the current system has to go.

Comment

Who said they've established a plan yet.
                        That's what you're implying, by arguing against ME saying there IS NO plan. I can't prove a negative, so put up or shut up.
                        This just happened, CP.
                        What, them announcing they are DISMANTLING the police department and replacing it with SOCIAL WORKERS? Yeah, the MOE-rons shot their mouths off before thinking the problem through.

What their final plan is has to be worked out.
                        I've already pointed out that they're beginning to walk back their initial IDIOCY.

All they know is that the current system has to go.
                        Sheeesh, Jim - first you claimed it was gonna be like Camden, with ZERO proof that it was anything LIKE that, and now you're....

There is ZERO evidence that the MOE-rons in Minnesota were thinking about reforming the current system. NADA.

Comment

That's what you're implying, by arguing against ME saying there IS NO plan. I can't prove a negative, so put up or shut up.
                          No, I didn't imply any such thing, your just being dishonest once again.
                          What, them announcing they are DISMANTLING the police department and replacing it with SOCIAL WORKERS? Yeah, the MOE-rons shot their mouths off before thinking the problem through.
                          What they said is they plan to dismantle the police dept. You're just reading into it what you want to believe they're saying and then making dishonest staements about what they've said.

I've already pointed out that they're beginning to walk back their initial IDIOCY.
                          And I've asked you to point out exactly what it is you say they've walked back and you ran away refusing to answer. They didn't walk back anything since the only thing they proposed was disbanding the current police dept/system.

Sheeesh, Jim - first you claimed it was gonna be like Camden, with ZERO proof that it was anything LIKE that, and now you're....
                          There you go again. I never once said that minniapolis was going to be the same as Camden NJ, I only said that police dept's like Camden has already disbanded their police dept and started over. Every city that disbands their current system of policing doesn't necessarily have to come up with the same solution to replace it.
                          There is ZERO evidence that the MOE-rons in Minnesota were thinking about reforming the current system. NADA.
                          Well, it would be moronish to think otherwise, and I doubt you ever really believed that.

Comment

No, I didn't imply any such thing, your just being dishonest once again.
                            This is a non-starter. I have NEVER been dishonest with you. I think this is yet another case where you're projecting.

Comment

This is a non-starter. I have NEVER been dishonest with you. I think this is yet another case where you're projecting.
                              Malarkey!

Comment

Malarkey!
                                EGGzacly -- that's what you post, day in and day out!

Comment