Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, Jim.... here's a great article for you to totally miscomprehend and, subsequently misrepresent...

Minneapolis voters could be asked as soon as November to remove police department from City Charter

I'll post some highlights, though the link is there to the entire article...

change the City's Charter by removing MPD as a "Charter Department."

The Charter currently stipulates that the council must provide a police force of 0.0017 officers per resident of the city.

It would be replaced on the Charter with the creation of a "new Charter Department to provide for community safety and violence prevention."

By removing the MPD requirements from the City's Charter, it seems to be laying the groundwork for the councilors' eventual plans to disband the department in the wake of George Floyd's killing, and replace it with an as-yet alternative public safety strategy.

The proposal didn't merit much discussion on Friday, with the councilors expected to provide more detailed plans when they introduce it as an ordinance at its next meeting on June 26.

Ya see that, Jim?

Not only DISBAND the department, but CHANGE THE CHARTER to remove the requirement for a PD.

NOT replacing it with "another PD" (like Camden) but "an as-yet alternative public safety strategy".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Hey, Jim.... here's a great article for you to totally miscomprehend and, subsequently misrepresent...

Minneapolis voters could be asked as soon as November to remove police department from City Charter

I'll post some highlights, though the link is there to the entire article...

change the City's Charter by removing MPD as a "Charter Department."

The Charter currently stipulates that the council must provide a police force of 0.0017 officers per resident of the city.

It would be replaced on the Charter with the creation of a "new Charter Department to provide for community safety and violence prevention."

By removing the MPD requirements from the City's Charter, it seems to be laying the groundwork for the councilors' eventual plans to disband the department in the wake of George Floyd's killing, and replace it with an as-yet alternative public safety strategy.

The proposal didn't merit much discussion on Friday, with the councilors expected to provide more detailed plans when they introduce it as an ordinance at its next meeting on June 26.

Ya see that, Jim?

Not only DISBAND the department, but CHANGE THE CHARTER to remove the requirement for a PD.

NOT replacing it with "another PD" (like Camden) but "an as-yet alternative public safety strategy".
      You can calll it whatever you want, you want to call them the police, then call them the police. The fact is that they didn't walk anything back like you keep dishonestly asserting. They plan to replace them with a different system of policing, which you previously denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        You can calll it whatever you want, you want to call them the police, then call them the police.
        Laughing... yet another classic JimL "it's all semantical".
        Jim, words have meanings.

The fact is that they didn't walk anything back like you keep dishonestly asserting.
        The Mayor is trying to do that, Jim. And I'm just about tired of you being such a cowardly little --- If you're going to accuse me of lying, bring it on.

They plan to replace them with a different system of policing, which you previously denied.
        OK, I'm just going to have to conclude that you're just WAY too stubbornly STUPID to do discuss this topic.

When you get backed into the corner, you do this cowardly false accusation stuff, and playing fast and loose with the meanings of words.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Laughing... yet another classic JimL "it's all semantical".
          Jim, words have meanings.

The Mayor is trying to do that, Jim. And I'm just about tired of you being such a cowardly little --- If you're going to accuse me of lying, bring it on.

OK, I'm just going to have to conclude that you're just WAY too stubbornly STUPID to do discuss this topic.

When you get backed into the corner, you do this cowardly false accusation stuff, and playing fast and loose with the meanings of words.
          That is exactly what you do, CP, you falsely accuse me of lying all the time and you act like you're ignorant as to what people mean such as your assertions that defunding means abolishing all forms of law enforcement. You know better, you're not as stupid as you're pretending to be.

Comment

That is exactly what you do, CP, you falsely accuse me of lying all the time
            Show me ONE TIME where I accused you of lying where I did not substantiate it in the post, as is required, Jim.

and you act like you're ignorant
            false

as to what people mean such as your assertions that defunding means abolishing all forms of law enforcement.
            Like I said in the other thread - there is NOBODY -- not even your leftist buddies -- who "understand" this the way you "understand it".
            This is what you do. You stake out a nutty claim, you double down on it, you don't have the common decency to admit you were wrong, so then you go into hysterics with false accusations and more nuttery.

You know better, you're not as stupid as you're pretending to be.
            Unfortunately, I'm beginning to believe you're as stupid as I was hoping you weren't.

Comment

Show me. Show me the plan.
              I'd want them to propose something concrete as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I'd want them to propose something concrete as well.
                Camden, NJ, which JimL brought up first, is pretty much the model for how do reorganize.
                They FIRST sought police protection from the County, THEN worked their carefully thought-out and well-implemented plan.

I'm all for that.

Comment

Camden, NJ, which JimL brought up first, is pretty much the model for how do reorganize.
                  They FIRST sought police protection from the County, THEN worked their carefully thought-out and well-implemented plan.

I'm all for that.
                  Oh my goodness, so you're for disbanding the police?

Comment

Oh my goodness,
                    When you use that term, you're always about to say something really stupid.

so you're for disbanding the police?
                    Yes, Jim, under the following conditions....
                    • When it appears reform is impossible
                    • When there is a well thought-out plan
                    • When PRIOR provision is made for police protection
                    • When the plan is carefully implemented
                    • Where the community is fully onboard.

Then, yes - just like Camden did - NOT like the MOE-rons in Minnesota are doing.

Comment

When you use that term, you're always about to say something really stupid.

Yes, Jim, under the following conditions....
                      • When it appears reform is impossible
                      • When there is a well thought-out plan
                      • When PRIOR provision is made for police protection
                      • When the plan is carefully implemented
                      • Where the community is fully onboard.

Then, yes - just like Camden did - NOT like the MOE-rons in Minnesota are doing.
                      Well that's nice of you to admit after all your ranting and raving. Btw, Minniapolis isn't doing anything just yet, so perhaps you should wait to see exactly what plan they adopt before calling them Moe-rons.

Comment

Well that's nice of you to admit after all your ranting and raving.
                        Been saying it all along, Jim. I just did a quick search using "Camden" as a search word with My name, and there are NUMEROUS posts where I refer to this.

Btw, Minniapolis isn't doing anything just yet,
                        Yes, like I said, they shot their mouths off about DISMANTLING, and now they're dialing it back, and working toward changing their CHARTER to eliminate the Police Department as a Charter Department.

so perhaps you should wait to see exactly what plan they adopt before calling them Moe-rons.
                        Too late, they've already exposed themselves.

Comment

• Have other states had success with this? I've heard rumors of other states doing it as well.

Comment

Been saying it all along, Jim. I just did a quick search using "Camden" as a search word with My name, and there are NUMEROUS posts where I refer to this.

Yes, like I said, they shot their mouths off about DISMANTLING, and now they're dialing it back, and working toward changing their CHARTER to eliminate the Police Department as a Charter Department.

Too late, they've already exposed themselves.
                            And do you understand that dismantling and disolving the police dept, which you've been ranting about with respect to the Minniapolis city council is exactly what Camden NJ did in order to create a new system? They're not dialing that back CP. You just can't admit that you've been shooting your mouth off accusing them of saying something that they hadn't said. They just didn't explain to you what the new plan was going to be, but you had to go ranting on, suggesting how the moe-rons want to go lawless, how they just want to abolish the police with no plans to replace blah blah blah... You're just trying to cast what their intentions are in a bad light, before you even know what their intentions are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              Have other states had success with this? I've heard rumors of other states doing it as well.
                              I think Camden would be a good model, but I don't know of other states. I know that the police department with which I am associated has a long history of going after those "awards" from the Police Chief's Association, and I have personally sat on the board where we unceremoniously removed officers who were too aggressive for our purposes.

Comment

And do you understand that dismantling...
                                I've understood all along, Jim. You're posting from emotion, not fact.

Comment