Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, WOW....

A lawyer for one of the three White men accused of the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery came under fire Monday for highlighting the slain man's "dirty toenails" in her closing argument.

"Turning Ahmaud Arbery into a victim after the choices that he made does not reflect the reality of what brought Ahmaud Arbery to Satilla Shores in his khaki shorts with no socks to cover his long, dirty toenails," Lauren Hogue told the panel, referring to a description from the autopsy report.

The comment prompted Arbery's mother Wanda Cooper-Jones to exclaim "Wow!" and exit the Glynn County courtroom in Georgia.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• What a dumb thing to say. Aurbury's personal hygiene has nothing at all to do with this case, and if the defense thought that was relevant enough to mention during closing arguments then things may not go well for the McMichaels during deliberations.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        What a dumb thing to say. Aurbury's personal hygiene has nothing at all to do with this case, and if the defense thought that was relevant enough to mention during closing arguments then things may not go well for the McMichaels during deliberations.
        It looks like he was trying to make Aurbury out as physically repellant as possible and thus less sympathetic but he definitely did no favors for his clients with that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, WOW....

A lawyer for one of the three White men accused of the fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery came under fire Monday for highlighting the slain man's "dirty toenails" in her closing argument.

"Turning Ahmaud Arbery into a victim after the choices that he made does not reflect the reality of what brought Ahmaud Arbery to Satilla Shores in his khaki shorts with no socks to cover his long, dirty toenails," Lauren Hogue told the panel, referring to a description from the autopsy report.

The comment prompted Arbery's mother Wanda Cooper-Jones to exclaim "Wow!" and exit the Glynn County courtroom in Georgia.
          The defense lawyer did them no favors with that closing.

I am thinking that these guys did start it and the guy was only trying to get away when they chased him down. Then he tried to fight the guy with the gun and lost. Arbery was the one who was defending himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The defense lawyer did them no favors with that closing.

I am thinking that these guys did start it and the guy was only trying to get away when they chased him down. Then he tried to fight the guy with the gun and lost. Arbery was the one who was defending himself.
            I wouldn't fault them for keeping an eye on him while waiting for police to respond, but, yeah.... I can't see how they won't be found guilty.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jury is deliberating - it will be interesting to see.

Prosecution wraps up by claiming you can't claim self-defense if you're the one who initiated the confrontation. WAY different than Rittenhouse situation.
              Eh? Somebody called me a nasty name so I bludgeoned him to death - he initiated the confrontation, so it's his fault. I can't see that working as a defence.
              I called him a nasty name and he came at me with a knife so I shot him. Self defence - but there should be something "I" could be charged with. Public affray maybe?

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I wouldn't fault them for keeping an eye on him while waiting for police to respond, but, yeah.... I can't see how they won't be found guilty.
                And that could have been done from a short distance without ever physically confronting him.

As already pointed out by some very wise men (or is it wise guys?):

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They should have followed and maintained contact with the police. Period. There was no need for a confrontation.
                ​​​​​​​
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                They should have followed and maintained contact with the police. Period. There was no need for a confrontation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Eh? Somebody called me a nasty name so I bludgeoned him to death - he initiated the confrontation, so it's his fault. I can't see that working as a defence.
                  I called him a nasty name and he came at me with a knife so I shot him. Self defence - but there should be something "I" could be charged with. Public affray maybe?
                  A few years back in Atlanta, an elderly man plowed into a car sitting at a red light. The driver of the struck car got out of the car waving his arms around screaming. Obviously he was angry. As he approached the other car, the elderly man pulled out a pistol and shot him through the front windshield resulting in that person's death.

It was ruled self defense.

None of the news reports alleged that the person shot was threatening the driver -- just that he was obviously angry and shouting.

If there were no threats being issued and he was still in front of the shooter's car, I strongly disagree with this finding.

ETA: Since someone might ask, I believe both men were black, so race doesn't come into play.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    A few years back in Atlanta, an elderly man plowed into a car sitting at a red light. The driver of the struck car got out of the car waving his arms around screaming. Obviously he was angry. As he approached the other car, the elderly man pulled out a pistol and shot him through the front windshield resulting in that person's death.

It was ruled self defense.

None of the news reports alleged that the person shot was threatening the driver -- just that he was obviously angry and shouting.

If there were no threats being issued and he was still in front of the shooter's car, I strongly disagree with this finding.

ETA: Since someone might ask, I believe both men were black, so race doesn't come into play.
                    It could be ruled that the shooter had just cause (subjectively, which is what counts) to fear for his safety I suppose - but it still seems to be an odd decision.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Generally the response has to be reasonable force to stop the threat. So shooting someone for calling you names would not be reasonable force. Shooting someone who you believed was trying to beat you to death would be reasonable force.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

It could be ruled that the shooter had just cause (subjectively, which is what counts) to fear for his safety I suppose - but it still seems to be an odd decision.
                        That was the rationalization, but the guy was basically shot dead for being upset with someone and getting out of his car. Given that the shooter shot through his front windshield means that the victim was not in a position to be threatening. Sort of like shooting some on the other side of the street who is yelling at you.

Not justified.

Comment

That was the rationalization, but the guy was basically shot dead for being upset with someone and getting out of his car. Given that the shooter shot through his front windshield means that the victim was not in a position to be threatening. Sort of like shooting some on the other side of the street who is yelling at you.

Not justified.
                          Yup. that was a bad decision. You never can tell with juries.

Comment

Not justified.
                            Yeah, the guy would have been better off rolling up his windows and locking his doors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yup. that was a bad decision. You never can tell with juries.
                              Never went to a jury. It was declared to be self-defense on the spot.

Comment

Yeah, the guy would have been better off rolling up his windows and locking his doors.
                                Or just showing that he was armed if he kept approaching.

Comment