Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verdicts are in. All three guilty but not on all charges.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      Verdicts are in. All three guilty but not on all charges.
      Interesting. But not surprising.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I haven't followed the case closely but the verdict does seem right. Not guilty on all charges would have been a travesty.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I haven't followed the case closely but the verdict does seem right. Not guilty on all charges would have been a travesty.
          I agree. I think once again, the jury in this case returned a just verdict. They still face federal charges it appears. I think this whole charging people with state and federal charges seems a bit overboard to me. They are going away for life probably on the murder charges, so why do they need to charge them federally? Kind of like beating a dead horse.

Comment

I haven't followed the case closely but the verdict does seem right. Not guilty on all charges would have been a travesty.
            Agree with the father and son, a little less so with the third guy -- but saying that without following the case as closely as the Rittenhouse one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I agree. I think once again, the jury in this case returned a just verdict. They still face federal charges it appears. I think this whole charging people with state and federal charges seems a bit overboard to me. They are going away for life probably on the murder charges, so why do they need to charge them federally? Kind of like beating a dead horse.
              Frankly, it has been used as a way to circumvent double jeopardy after a not guilty verdict.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Agreed.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

good - this was sketchy from the get go....
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Now we know why the MSM pretty much ignored the trial. If they had put as much attention on this trial as they did Rittenhouse as an example of white supremacy and racism, their narrative that racism and white supremacy goes unpunished would have been shattered.

Comment

Good to see (with a mostly white jury too, which further destroys the talking points of the racemongers). Sounds like life sentences for all three

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Good to see (with a mostly white jury too, which further destroys the talking points of the racemongers). Sounds like life sentences for all three
                        It also destroys the narrative that conservatives just want to see white people go free because of racism. We are glad when justice is served whether that means someone goes free like in Rittenhouse or when they deserve to go to prison like these three.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It also destroys the narrative that conservatives just want to see white people go free because of racism. We are glad when justice is served whether that means someone goes free like in Rittenhouse or when they deserve to go to prison like these three.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Agree with the father and son, a little less so with the third guy -- but saying that without following the case as closely as the Rittenhouse one.
                            I don't think a murder conviction was warranted because I don't think they set out with intent to kill (was there more information about this during the trial?). Certainly a homicide conviction seems reasonable because they needlessly created circumstances under which Arbury clearly felt threatened.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Then they're STILL going to be tried on FEDERAL charges? I think that's stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't think a murder conviction was warranted because I don't think they set out with intent to kill (was there more information about this during the trial?). Certainly a homicide conviction seems reasonable because they needlessly created circumstances under which Arbury clearly felt threatened.
                                Perhaps it's because you don't realize what felony murder encompasses in Georgia. The law in Georgia does not require them to set out with intent to kill (Georgia also doesn't have 'degrees' of murder either). They need only cause the death of another human whilst committing a felony, to be guilty of felony murder. What you are talking about is malice murder, IIRC, in Georgia (which I believe all of them were found not guilty on). SO, indeed, while the malice murder was not warranted, they were actually found not guilty of that (for the reason you noted, most likely)
                                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 11-24-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment