Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ahmaud Arbery; racist killing and attempted cover up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Perhaps it's because you don't realize what felony murder encompasses in Georgia. The law in Georgia does not require them to set out with intent to kill (Georgia also doesn't have 'degrees' of murder either). They need only cause the death of another human whilst committing a felony, to be guilty of felony murder. What you are talking about is malice murder, IIRC, in Georgia (which I believe all of them were found not guilty on). SO, indeed, while the malice murder was not warranted, they were actually found not guilty of that (for the reason you noted, most likely)
    Slight correction: the son was found guilty of malice murder. The other two were found not guilty of malice murder.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Slight correction: the son was found guilty of malice murder. The other two were found not guilty of malice murder.
      That makes more sense
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Huh, interesting, I didn't see that when the headline popped up, must have been the two not guiltys and just assumed the third. I don't know that I entirelyagree with it, but then I didn't watch this as closely as the Rittenhouse case, so I assume there was a reason for the difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Perhaps it's because you don't realize what felony murder encompasses in Georgia. The law in Georgia does not require them to set out with intent to kill (Georgia also doesn't have 'degrees' of murder either). They need only cause the death of another human whilst committing a felony, to be guilty of felony murder. What you are talking about is malice murder, IIRC, in Georgia (which I believe all of them were found not guilty on). SO, indeed, while the malice murder was not warranted, they were actually found not guilty of that (for the reason you noted, most likely)
          The younger McMichael was going guilty on all counts, but I don't see how his actions constitute murder.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The younger McMichael was going guilty on all counts, but I don't see how his actions constitute murder.
            Well, the definitely constitute felony murder under Georgia law- there's little questioning that.

I'm not entirely sure personally that I agree that they constitute malice murder, but it appears the prosecution managed to convince the jury otherwise, I assume because he was the one that pulled the trigger and made that decision to kill him when Arbery wouldn't listen to his 'commands'. Either way, he certainly deserved the felony murder charges, which would have basically the same sentence anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Frankly, it has been used as a way to circumvent double jeopardy after a not guilty verdict.
              Yes. That's an area that needs reform.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Now we know why the MSM pretty much ignored the trial. If they had put as much attention on this trial as they did Rittenhouse as an example of white supremacy and racism, their narrative that racism and white supremacy goes unpunished would have been shattered.
                But they nearly got away with it.

“We came very close to this crime not being prosecuted at all,” said Clark D. Cunningham, a professor at the Georgia State University College of Law.

After the Brunswick district attorney and Waycross district attorney recused themselves without charging the men, Cunningham noted two aspects of the case that made the arrests — and subsequent convictions — possible: Greg McMichael’s decision to share the video of the slaying with the public and Arbery’s outspoken family receiving national support and attention.

……

“Video is an objective observer,” Ray said. “It’s very clear what happened. And I think part of what the McMichaels were trying to leverage was what their defense attorneys were trying to allege: that the mere presence, the mere physical body of Ahmaud Arbery as a Black person just running through the street should pose a big enough threat to justify their use of force.”
                The fact is that blacks don’t get justice to the same extent that whites get justice. This is just the latest example of a great and persistent sin that is not entirely purged by the verdicts.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Oh boy, Arbery's father said a very naughty and racist phrase. I wonder if he'll now get cancelled on social media as a white supremacist...

ALL lives matter. I don’t want no daddy to watch his kid get shot down like that. It’s ALL our problem. So let’s keep fighting to make this a better place for all human beings. Love everybody! All human beings need to be treated equally.”

Comment

• Interesting, it sounds like their own early statements to investigators were likely what ensured their convictions, even moreso than just the video.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/own-words...195117529.html

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Oh boy, Arbery's father said a very naughty and racist phrase. I wonder if he'll now get cancelled on social media as a white supremacist...
                      The father's statement is surprisingly gracious under the circumstances.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• "Father of Ahmaud Arbery just now: “ALL lives matter. I don’t want no daddy to watch his kid get shot down like that. It’s ALL our problem. So let’s keep fighting to make this a better place for all human beings. Love everybody! All human beings need to be treated equally.”

That video should be publicly broadcast every half hour on every TV station for the next week - world wide.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          "Father of Ahmaud Arbery just now: “ALL lives matter. I don’t want no daddy to watch his kid get shot down like that. It’s ALL our problem. So let’s keep fighting to make this a better place for all human beings. Love everybody! All human beings need to be treated equally.”

That video should be publicly broadcast every half hour on every TV station for the next week - world wide.
                          Wow, that's NEWS!!! ALL Lives matter! What a concept!!!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I saw a snippet of that as I flipped channels! IIRC Al Sharpton was one of the ones standing behind him, and it looked like he was dying inside when Arbery's father said that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The father's statement is surprisingly gracious under the circumstances.
                              All the more reason I suspect the BLM cult to ignore him, if not outrightly attack him. I mean, he referenced a phrase that the BLM cult itself has directly called racism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I hope it is not surprising to you that BLM means BLM too. So, ALM is already assumed. Hey, I know you want to feel included, and you are.
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment