Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Source: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/anti-asian-hate-crimes-statistics-in-the-us/2597914/

The latest statistics from Stop AAPI Hate showed that self-reported incidents of racism and hate crimes jumped from a cumulative 3,795 between March 2020 and February 2021 to 6,603 within just one month in March 2021.

© Copyright Original Source

This sentence is cause for suspicion. We live in a culture where almost anything could be construed as racism and a hate crime.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This sentence is cause for suspicion. We live in a culture where almost anything could be construed as racism and a hate crime.
      They straight-up included the massage palor shootings in their article (like most lefty rags were falsely doing) when that had nothing to do with racism. That disingenuous BS right there discredited the whole article in my eyes.

But then I kept reading anyway to see the words "self-reported."

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

They straight-up included the massage palor shootings in their article (like most lefty rags were falsely doing) when that had nothing to do with racism. That disingenuous BS right there discredited the whole article in my eyes.

But then I kept reading anyway to see the words "self-reported."
        You neglected the fact that he was selling anti-Chinese t-shirts. This is only one in incident in hundards that represents a 150% increase in violence against Orientals.

Comment

You neglected the fact that he was selling anti-Chinese t-shirts. This is only one in incident in hundards that represents a 150% increase in violence against Orientals.
          You're asking me to believe an unprincipled and deceptive MSM that has demonstrably lied consistently about both Trump and this virus for a whole year. Sorry, I'll believe it when I see actual crime statistics and it shows a spike in attacks on Asians (but even that can be skewed with nuance, such as a rise in crime in general because of the economy and Asians being the exceptional target for other reasons).

Btw, I thought the term "Orientals" was racist. At least that's what the woke left tells me.

Comment

The left must be so proud to have you, Shuny, as they thrive on the gullible gulping down their rhetoric and repeating it as fact.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump used more derogatory words than "Chinese virus" concerning blaming Chinese for Covid-19 such as “Kung flu” . Viruses do not have ethnicity nor race. Anti Oriental attacks increased 150% after Trump's remarks.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/19/trump-tweets-chinese-virus-racist/

Racist anti-Asian hashtags spiked after Trump first tweeted ‘Chinese virus,’ study finds

As the coronavirus spread across the globe last February, the World Health Organization urged people to avoid terms like the “Wuhan virus” or the “Chinese virus,” fearing it could spike a backlash against Asians.

President Donald Trump didn’t take the advice. On March 16, 2020, he first tweeted the phrase “Chinese virus.”
              That single tweet, researchers later found, fueled exactly the kind of backlash the WHO had feared: It was followed by an avalanche of tweets using the hashtag #chinesevirus, among other anti-Asian phrases.

“The week before Trump’s tweet the dominant term [on Twitter] was #covid-19,” Yulin Hswen, an epidemiology professor at the University of California at San Francisco and a co-author of the study, told The Washington Post. “The week after his tweet, it was #chinesevirus.”

Hswen is among a group of researchers who analyzed hundreds of thousands of #covid-19 and #chinesevirus hashtags drafted the week before and after Trump first referred to the coronavirus as the “Chinese virus” on the social media platform.

Not only did more people use the #chinesevirus hashtag days after Trump’s tweet, but those who did were more likely to include other anti-Asian hashtags in their tweets, according to the peer-reviewed study published by the American Journal of Public Health on Thursday.

The group’s findings come amid a wave of racist attacks and threats against Asian Americans, which some advocates have blamed on Trump’s anti-China rhetoric over the pandemic. Trump repeatedly referred to the disease as the “Chinese virus” and the “Kung flu” during White House briefings, campaign rallies and other public appearances. Earlier this week, he once again called the disease the “China virus” in an interview with Fox News’s Maria Bartiromo.

The study also arrives days after eight people, including six Asian women, were shot dead in Atlanta-area spas. While the suspected gunman allegedly blamed a “sex addiction” for the rampage, authorities have not ruled out whether the killings were racially motivated.

A nationwide horror: Witnesses, police paint a picture of a murderous rampage that took 8 lives

Despite public health experts’ request that people refrain from attaching locations or ethnicity to the disease, Trump argued that the term “Chinese virus” was not discriminatory or racist because the virus “comes from China.”

See also: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dy/4728444001/
              So let me get this straight, virtually everybody and their brother had been regularly referring to it as the Wuhan virus or Chinese coronavirus for weeks (here's one video compilation), but magically, like an all-powerful sorcerer, Trump steps forth and utters the same words but its like an incantation, so presto change-o!, almost like a light switch being turned on, "self-reported incidents of racism and hate crimes" went up through the roof.

Go on. Pull the other one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                So let me get this straight, virtually everybody and their brother had been regularly referring to it as the Wuhan virus or Chinese coronavirus for weeks (here's one video compilation), but magically, like an all-powerful sorcerer, Trump steps forth and utters the same words but its like an incantation, so presto change-o!, almost like a light switch being turned on, "self-reported incidents of racism and hate crimes" went up through the roof.

So how long did the people in that compilation continue to call it the "Wuhan virus" or the "Chinese virus" after the World Health Organization urged people to avoid those terms?

And how long did it take Trump to stop using those terms?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

So how long did the people in that compilation continue to call it the "Wuhan virus" or the "Chinese virus" after the World Health Organization urged people to avoid those terms?

And how long did it take Trump to stop using those terms?
                  When they stopped was right after Trump first said it. Then, like a powerful incantation -- ALACAZAM! -- it suddenly became racist.

You know, sort of like how we were also told stopping travel from China was racist and xenophobic.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When they stopped was right after Trump first said it. Then, like a powerful incantation -- ALACAZAM! -- it suddenly became racist.
                    You sure about that? I get the impression they stopped after the WHO asked them to, whereas Trump started saying it some time after that.

https://theconversation.com/donald-t...-naming-136796

Comment

It's based on the premise that conservative worship President Trump the way liberals worship Obama and will do whatever he says simply because he said it.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• The way that article reads, Trump reacted in typical politician fashion to a perceived (or in this case, actual) slander. The "Chinese virus" thing was a retaliation for Chinese propaganda saying that Americans had spread the virus in China. All so distressingly normal.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You sure about that? I get the impression they stopped after the WHO asked them to, whereas Trump started saying it some time after that.

Why should he have stopped?

A) It was clear the WHO was covering for china, so this was probably just a "don't hurt china's fweeings" because they're our masters type of reprimand.
                          B) To call it the china flu was a stated fact, and was just following the trend of how we typically classified such viruses in the past.
                          C) It reminded folks that china is clearly culpable in starting a worldwide pandemic, whether they did it intentionally or not.

Comment

It was literally within a day or two of when Trump started using it, whether that was also the time that WHO (who has repeatedly been exposed as being a puppet of the Chicoms[1]) which obediently regurgitated their master's orders not to do so, I'm not sure. Did WHO's China ties slow decision to declare emergency?

BTW, if it is a racist term, why did a LexisNexis search reveal that a number of Asian news outlets regularly referred to it as the Chinese or Wuhan coronavirus?

1. The Chicoms worked very hard getting Tedros, a hardline Marxist who was part of the violently repressive Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front, appointed to head the organization and he has repaid that effort with unquestioning loyalty. Even after it was revealed that the Chicoms repeatedly lied about it not being transmitted by human-to-human contact along with a host of other falsehoods, destroyed records and samples, "disappeared" those who spoke out (which was often followed by an announcement of their deaths) and pressured WHO into delaying issue warnings about it, Tedros never once admonished them for any of that but instead still kept praising their "transparency"
                            Last edited by rogue06; 07-21-2021, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Source: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/national-international/anti-asian-hate-crimes-statistics-in-the-us/2597914/

As US Emerges From COVID, AAPI Leaders Say Hate Incidents Expected to Rise

For the past few years, the fastest growing demographic group stateside was also becoming one of the highest profile targets for opportunistic hate crimes.

Asian Americans have long been subjected to bias in the United States. But anti-Asian bias attacks have taken a more violent turn since COVID became a reality for Americans under a president bent on scapegoating Asians for the pandemic.

The hurdle to keep families safe from COVID-19 while keeping the most vulnerable from physical harm became a particular burden on that community. That communal burden became a national reckoning as the murder of six women of Asian descent, among others, in Atlanta and four Sikhs among the victims in an Indianapolis FedEx shooting followed dozens of reported bias incidents from the start of the pandemic.

The number of incidents have only grown since then.

“[Asians] particularly face more racism during periods of pandemic, periods of war and periods of economic downturn. Last year we experienced three things,” Dr. Russell Jeung said. “We had the pandemic. We had economic distress because of the pandemic. We had a US-China cold war. So those three factors are just the perfect storm conditions for racism to occur amidst those conditions.”

Jeung, a professor of Asian-American Studies at San Francisco State University, has seen how bias incidents and crimes rose against Asians and, in particular, the Asian elderly, since March 2020, when the pandemic first came to the United States. He is a cofounder of Stop AAPI Hate, a group dedicated to filling the gap in data related to bias incidents against Asian Americans.

“My research focus was on religion and justice, it wasn’t particularly on racism,” Jeung said. “But I just knew at the [start of the pandemic] that someone’s got to start tracking it.” “It’s just not a position I want to be in, having to document hate,” he said.

The latest statistics from Stop AAPI Hate showed that self-reported incidents of racism and hate crimes jumped from a cumulative 3,795 between March 2020 and February 2021 to 6,603 within just one month in March 2021.

A lot of things can influence self-reported stuff, especially with something as vague as 'racism and hate crimes'. For example, just hearing it in the news could see a 'jump' that doesn't actually exist, made up of people: 1. who otherwise would not have said anything feeling like it's more legitimate to say something after they've seen it covered in the news and 2. people who see it in the news and then start over-examining everything and seeing 'racism and hate crimes' in everything. Etc..

Comment

Yes, like a light switch turned on.Trump says it and it reverberates throughout his devoted followers,particularly the more radical follower. This has been true throughout his Presidency. Trump's words carry more weight then the news especially in the radical right. Even you have used these degrading terms.

Comment