Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times� 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Liberals end up being plenty full of NIMBY folk, true. So a better redress than public housing might be, say, federally-guaranteed home ownership loans and strict regulations on housing so that things like devaluing majority-black neighborhood homeowners' property and decreasing home values in a neighborhood after several black families move in stop happening.

--Sam
    The problem doesn't seem to exist in many rural areas, where blacks and whites get along as neighbors just fine and the blacks are at the same economic level as the whites. I live in a smallish town outside of a city. In the city the blacks are mostly on one side of town and it is an area where you probably don't want to go after dark. In my neighborhood, we have a mix of white, black, and hispanic. We all have houses that are about the same value, our kids all go to the same school, we have block parties and other neighborhood activities and pretty low crime (some kids have been going through unlocked cars and sometimes things get stolen off of porches, but the police say it is people outside of the neighborhood) and our home values are all pretty high, in the 200K range, up about 50% from 10 years ago when I bought my home.

I have lived in a lot of places (dad was in the Army) and we mostly lived in the suburbs but in the city a few times, and I saw the same in other places.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      I'm sincerely confused about what he's even arguing. If he was steered away from living in a neighborhood because it was "black" then the people who steered him away from it were racists. I don't know about him, but I don't hang in those circles. I've been steered away from neighborhoods because they were crime-ridden (some were majority black, some were majority white), but never specifically because they were filled with black people. I stupidly turned down a home a couple years ago that was in a poor part of town (mixed black and white), not because of the bad people there, but because I was told that you shouldn't buy the nicest house on the block, since you'll never get your money out of it. But I'm not really looking for an investment, I'm looking for a home. Some place with character that I like, even if no one else would buy it from me. Most people i know are consecutively on their 2nd or 3rd house. I don't plan on going anywhere, so I just want one, and don't care where it is as long as I don't have to constantly worry about break-ins and I'm in the city.
      When I bought my house, I didn't ask about my neighbors, like what color they are. Nor did I hang around and watch to see. I just looked the neighborhood up online, checked the crime stats, relative age of the neighborhood (I wanted a newer home) and looked where the nearest fire and police departments were. Then I checked out the houses and decided to buy one.

Comment

I was told that you shouldn't buy the nicest house on the block, since you'll never get your money out of it.
        The general wisdom for home purchasing is to buy the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood that you can afford.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          When I bought my house, I didn't ask about my neighbors, like what color they are. Nor did I hang around and watch to see. I just looked the neighborhood up online, checked the crime stats, relative age of the neighborhood (I wanted a newer home) and looked where the nearest fire and police departments were. Then I checked out the houses and decided to buy one.
          Yep... the two realtors I've dealt with in the past two-decades didn't "steer" me in any particular direction, or make any comment about the demographics of a given neighborhood. It sounds like ox just happened to do business with an overt racist and is wrongly assuming that all realtors operate with the same mentality. Like lilpixie said, it's a classic case of confirmation bias.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            The general wisdom for home purchasing is to buy the cheapest house in the nicest neighborhood that you can afford.
            Yeah, that's what my realtors keep saying, but I don't tend to care too much for the houses in the nice neighborhoods.

Comment

My neighbor is mixed Hispanics and blacks outnumber whites. And we all get along. The neighborhood I grew up in was largely Italian immigrants, with a good mix of blacks. Again we all got along fine and the black kids I grew up with did as well as me if not better in life, but we all had intact families.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                My neighbor is mixed Hispanics and blacks outnumber whites. And we all get along. The neighborhood I grew up in was largely Italian immigrants, with a good mix of blacks. Again we all got along fine and the black kids I grew up with did as well as me if not better in life, but we all had intact families.
                We have a lesbian couple across the street. We are so progressive.

Comment

• The town I grew up in was the most diverse one in the metro area outside of the urban core. Probably not coincidentally, we also had the reputation for being trashy, but a major part of maturity is learning not to care what other people think about you
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

You are saying that I lied regarding what I said I did. That's not saying I'm "incorrect", it's saying that I'm not telling the truth. I understand that the moderation around here might be getting a little lax but I don't appreciate someone making an unsubstantiated accusation that I'm lying about my own actions.

--Sam
                    OK here is what happened. I didn't even notice the twitter claim in your post. I must have read it and skimmed by it when I made my snide comment. I was not accusing you of lying. If you had mentioned something like, "I said I found it on twitter, not google" - I would have said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't see that" and it would have been done with. But you accused me of calling you a liar and I dug my heels in. I shouldn't have done that, and I apologize for my stubbornness. I did not call you a liar, though.

Comment

OK here is what happened. I didn't even notice the twitter claim in your post. I must have read it and skimmed by it when I made my snide comment. I was not accusing you of lying. If you had mentioned something like, "I said I found it on twitter, not google" - I would have said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't see that" and it would have been done with. But you accused me of calling you a liar and I dug my heels in. I shouldn't have done that, and I apologize for my stubbornness. I did not call you a liar, though.
                      I accept that explanation and apology; that sounds like a reasonable explanation of a misunderstanding. I do sincerely appreciate it.

--Sam
                      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I'm sincerely confused about what he's even arguing. If he was steered away from living in a neighborhood because it was "black" then the people who steered him away from it were racists. I don't know about him, but I don't hang in those circles. I've been steered away from neighborhoods because they were crime-ridden (some were majority black, some were majority white), but never specifically because they were filled with black people. I stupidly turned down a home a couple years ago that was in a poor part of town (mixed black and white), not because of the bad people there, but because I was told that you shouldn't buy the nicest house on the block, since you'll never get your money out of it. But I'm not really looking for an investment, I'm looking for a home. Some place with character that I like, even if no one else would buy it from me. Most people i know are consecutively on their 2nd or 3rd house. I don't plan on going anywhere, so I just want one, and don't care where it is as long as I don't have to constantly worry about break-ins and I'm in the city.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

We have a lesbian couple across the street. We are so progressive.
                          I want a lesbian couple so I can be cool too!
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yeah, that's what my realtors keep saying, but I don't tend to care too much for the houses in the nice neighborhoods.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Racial discrimination in housing is still frequent. Often, it occurs without explicit racial markers. Folks (generally) aren't going to say "You don't want to move into that neighborhood, too many black people". What often happens is that black buyers are shown fewer homes in fewer areas and majority-white (mainly suburban) neighborhoods are progressively priced out of range of black families (and lending institutions have racial discrimination problems just like everything else).

Image 010.jpg

Housing Discrimination Against Racial and Ethnic Minorities 2012. HUD
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Racial discrimination in housing is still frequent. Often, it occurs without explicit racial markers. Folks (generally) aren't going to say "You don't want to move into that neighborhood, too many black people". What often happens is that black buyers are shown fewer homes in fewer areas and majority-white (mainly suburban) neighborhoods are progressively priced out of range of black families (and lending institutions have racial discrimination problems just like everything else).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39538[/ATTACH]

Housing Discrimination Against Racial and Ethnic Minorities 2012. HUD
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment