Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The irony of the New York Times� 1619 Project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is starting to sound suspiciously like a conspiracy theory.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• It would do you both well to learn and practice active reading. In this case, understanding the difference between "can" and "is doing".

--Sam

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      This is starting to sound suspiciously like a conspiracy theory.
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        This is starting to sound suspiciously like a conspiracy theory.
        Because it is. People are no longer dependent on realtors to show them listings. They are online and can be found by anyone with a computer and basic search knowledge.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
          It would do you both well to learn and practice active reading. In this case, understanding the difference between "can" and "is doing".

--Sam
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Your contention was that the advent of online real estate listings eliminates the opportunity for a real estate agent to actively or passively insert racial discrimination into the home buying process. That is not the case, since the algorithms that display, rank, and feature home listings are themselves prone to racial bias.

Whether any listings can be proven to have this bias is irrelevant to refuting your blanket contention. Especially given the frequency with which we find implicit biases "written into" algorithms.

--Sam

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Your contention was that the advent of online real estate listings eliminates the opportunity for a real estate agent to actively or passively insert racial discrimination into the home buying process. That is not the case, since the algorithms that display, rank, and feature home listings are themselves prone to racial bias.

Whether any listings can be proven to have this bias is irrelevant to refuting your blanket contention. Especially given the frequency with which we find implicit biases "written into" algorithms.

--Sam
              And how does the software know your race, without telling it?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Again, it feels unnecessary to describe the basics of online profiling and big/deep data collection.

Since we're here, though, PSA to all interested: don't use Google/Facebook/etc. as a universal login option. Separate accounts everywhere. It won't help -much- but it's better than nothing.

--Sam

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                And how does the software know your race, without telling it?

Comment

Explaining the entire concept of online profiling and deep data seems like a useless endeavor at this point.

--Sam
                  It is. They have no clue.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Again, it feels unnecessary to describe the basics of online profiling and big/deep data collection.

Since we're here, though, PSA to all interested: don't use Google/Facebook/etc. as a universal login option. Separate accounts everywhere. It won't help -much- but it's better than nothing.

--Sam
                    And your evidence that Zillow and other realtor search sites are using big data to prevent blacks from seeing listings in white neighborhoods is what?
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Active reading. Useful skill. Necessary, even.

--Sam

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      And your evidence that Zillow and other realtor search sites are using big data to prevent blacks from seeing listings in white neighborhoods is what?

Comment

Active reading. Useful skill. Necessary, even.

--Sam
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The upshot here is that we're not starting from scratch when it comes to finding out why, in aggregate, these housing discrepancies occur. There are a lot of different specific aspects to housing market discrepancies and discrimination but truckloads of work has been done identifying how racism, both historical and contemporary, impacts white and non-white homeowners (in aggregate) differently.

That's where we're starting from today, with that wealth of knowledge already built up. How we go about addressing it will require a lot of different specific responses, most of which won't necessarily be racially-targeted as redress. But if we don't explicitly factor racism into the problem, it'll stay embedded in whatever solutions we devise.

--Sam
                          That sounds suspiciously like, "Hi, I totally ignored your post, waiting my turn to just repeat my previous points. Thanks."

Comment

• My apologies. I heard you, just not sure what we do with that -- whether your experience is applicable to the larger way of things depends on whether it's representative. And the way we find out if it's representative is through empirical studies. So we should look to the wealth of studies we have available.

--Sam

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            That sounds suspiciously like, "Hi, I totally ignored your post, waiting my turn to just repeat my previous points. Thanks."

Comment

• It was the price, see? If you looked at cheap houses, they would be in BLACK neighborhoods and if you looked at more expensive homes, they would be in WHITE neighborhoods. Because blacks are poor and whites are rich. Don't ya know nothing?

Comment

Your contention was that the advent of online real estate listings eliminates the opportunity for a real estate agent to actively or passively insert racial discrimination into the home buying process. That is not the case, since the algorithms that display, rank, and feature home listings are themselves prone to racial bias.
                                so assuming that is true and the algorithms favor houses in white neighborhoods. Then wouldn't it actually be helping to even out the racial mix because it would be presenting white neighborhood listings to non-white searchers as well as the white searchers?

Comment