Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    I assumed long ago that no one and nothing, including cited sources, actual facts, are going to change the fixed minds of you right wing conservative christians.
    Fixed that for you, no charge.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The MSM, to absolutely no surprise, peppered his obituaries with pot shots and fake news. For instance, the New York Times included the debunked myth about how, while running against Bill Clinton for re-election, he stared in bafflement at a grocery store price scanner during a stop at the National Grocers Association in Orlando, Florida which was used to portray him as being an out of touch elitist[1].

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33483[/ATTACH]

The problem with the story is that it was concocted by someone, Andrew Rosenthal, who wasn't even present. He just took a photo taken at the event and fabricated his own account about what took place, and of course nearly all of the MSM gleefully and uncritically repeated it and continued to do so for years to come.

Years later, the reliably liberal Snopes fact checked the account and rated it "False"
      NewsweekTime

Wikipedia also notes it was fake news stating that

The MSM was also quick to bring up the Willie Horton ad and dutifully repeat the myths that surrounded it as being true.

Willie Horton, a convicted murderer who stabbed a gas station worker to death during a robbery (and serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole), was given furlough from a Massachusetts prison and proceeded to violently attack a couple, including raping the woman, while he was out. Michael Dukakis, then governor of Massachusetts, was a big supporter of such furloughs and was Bush's opponent in the 1988 presidential campaign.

The liberal media accused Bush of injecting racism into the race by bringing it up. But he didn't.

First, it was Al Gore who initially brought it up during a debate in his primary campaign against Dukakis, so if it was racist to mention it then Gore is a racist. But then Gore never brought up Horton's race -- and neither did Bush. The "Willie Horton ad" that used a mug shot of Horton, thus revealing his race, was run by a third party completely independent from the Bush campaign. The ad that was run by the Bush campaign never used the image and never said or even implied that Horton was black.

Of course the MSM never cared about this and claimed that Bush ran the ad showing Horton's mugshot and continues to push that lie even while discussing his passing.

For instance, on This Week, ABC political analyst Matthew Dowd declared that "[Bush is] the one who did the Willie Horton ad" as the reason that he shouldn't be "canonize[d]." Likewise, NBC contributor Heather McGhee while on Meet the Press also blamed Bush for the ad proclaiming that it "was the most famous dog whistle ad until this cycle."

And finally there is Slate magazine, where the headline says it all: "New York Times and Washington Post Obituaries for George H.W. Bush Leave Out Groping Allegations."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33484[/ATTACH] Wow.

Wrt the bogus story about Bush and the grocery scanner when NBC News anchor brought it up during coverage of Bush's memorial service as an example of how he was widely perceived as being out of touch, he was, to their credit, quickly corrected by both the network's Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Andrea Mitchell and Meet the Press moderator Chuck Todd. The former even called it "fake news." Today show host Savannah Guthrie also noted that even though it is false it still ended up in several obituaries.

For example, the obit put out by the Associate Press:

This was the obit that the Washington Post along with many others ran.

CNN:

His failure to connect was encapsulated by an incident in which his fascination with a supermarket scanner during his 1992 re-election campaign triggered widespread mockery.

And of course the New York Times, which was originally responsible for the thoroughly discredited story yet still stubbornly stands by it, included it in their front page obit as well:

And while not pushing the debunked narrative the BBC opened their obit with their own snide little pot shot:

The inauguration of George HW Bush as president in January 1989 was the culmination of a career built on privilege: a series of political promotions ending at the White House.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And while not pushing the debunked narrative the BBC opened their obit with their own snide little pot shot:

The inauguration of George HW Bush as president in January 1989 was the culmination of a career built on privilege: a series of political promotions ending at the White House.
        Isn't it a bit ironic for the BBC to criticize hereditary political advantage considering their own adoration of the royal family?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Navy Will Perform Unprecedented 21-Fighter Flyover for Bush Funeral

41 plane.jpg

To fly this mission, these planes will be "forming up" over my house about 30 miles away!!!! Can't Wait!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That will be impressive. I saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier recently, and they had three jets fly over; the noise about shook your teeth out. I can't imagine what 21 planes will sound like!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That will be impressive. I saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier recently, and they had three jets fly over; the noise about shook your teeth out. I can't imagine what 21 planes will sound like!
              Yeah, they have "fly overs" for the Texas Aggie games - Kyle field is very near George Bush Library. So, usually it's a formation of 4 to 5 jets, and it's absolutely awesome --- IF they end up forming up over my house, I'll be ready with cameras!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just listened to the eulogy presented by Canda's former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney --- Gee I miss him!

His speech was quite good, and heart-felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, they have "fly overs" for the Texas Aggie games - Kyle field is very near George Bush Library. So, usually it's a formation of 4 to 5 jets, and it's absolutely awesome --- IF they end up forming up over my house, I'll be ready with cameras!
                  The TWENTY ONE jets are going to be doing a practice run at 15:55 today! I'll find out if my backyard is still on the flight path.

Comment

Very touching and beautiful funeral so far...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Very touching and beautiful funeral so far...
                      Wow, George's speech was great - and I couldn't help but choke up with him at his closing comments.

Comment

Wow, George's speech was great - and I couldn't help but choke up with him at his closing comments.
                        Yes, they loved their dad...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The TWENTY ONE jets are going to be doing a practice run at 15:55 today! I'll find out if my backyard is still on the flight path.
                          OK, I goofed --- it's not the 21 Jet package --- it's Special Air Mission 41 that will be doing the flyover!!!

SAM41.jpg

Comment

I wasn't going to ask this on this thread, but then I noticed that part of the thread went into a discussion of the "NOMSM" (nasty old MSM), so I figured side discussions were not verboten - and we ARE in the civics forum.

So...I'm just wondering what the reaction from those who are more evangelical and more "right" is to this news story and the others like it. Trump's entire posture during the entire service seemed to me to scream "don't want to be here" and he engaged essentially not at all with the service. Yet this is the hero of the evangelical movement. Thoughts?
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Yet [Trump] is the hero of the evangelical movement.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                I wasn't going to ask this on this thread, but then I noticed that part of the thread went into a discussion of the "NOMSM" (nasty old MSM), so I figured side discussions were not verboten - and we ARE in the civics forum.

So...I'm just wondering what the reaction from those who are more evangelical and more "right" is to this news story and the others like it. Trump's entire posture during the entire service seemed to me to scream "don't want to be here" and he engaged essentially not at all with the service. Yet this is the hero of the evangelical movement. Thoughts?
                                First off, I detest funerals. They generally creep me out and I withdraw. Maybe he hates them too? Second, just because someone doesn't recite the Apostle's Creed doesn't make them a bad person. He may not have even known the words... We don't know.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment