Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

DeSantis Uses Racist Dog Whistle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Probably a southern thing.
    Except I never heard it in New Orleans either. Odd...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Except I never heard it in New Orleans either. Odd...
      You didn't go far enough from "town".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You didn't go far enough from "town".
        Oh you have NO idea...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Oh you have NO idea...
          You're still alive.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You're still alive.

I am - but just barely. My young self was a lot less careful than my 60-year-old self. I was wandering the projects of New Orleans at the tender age of 19. I really should NOT be alive...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So you are admitting you were outraged
              Not much, just enough to say that he deserved the boos he got. Honestly its you guys who are looking for things to be outraged over, not me.

and didn't even bother to check what he had said?
              I did check various copies of it, and they all clearly misreported it. Only one or two, which I found after Charles's post had the full quote. The others seem actually to have cited each other's headlines!

That's quite dishonest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                None of the those phrases are the one used by DeSantis, which was "monkey this up", not just "monkey".

Phrases such as "brass monkey", "powder monkey" and "monkey wrench" not having racist connotations doesn't whitewash the racist connotations of other phrases such as "porch monkey" and "banana-eating jungle monkey".

Again, I defy you or anyone else defending DeSantis to cite any usage of "monkey this up" other than the DeSantis one.
                So the one and only use of "monkey it up" Google can find is this lone occasion where DeSantis used it, where nothing about the context suggested race (except in the minds of people who are themselves obsessed with race), where the usage is much like a variation of "monkey around" or "muck it up."

The only reasons to claim it must be a racist dog whistle are dishonesty and depravity.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  So the one and only use of "monkey it up" Google can find is this lone occasion where DeSantis used it, where nothing about the context suggested race (except in the minds of people who are themselves obsessed with race), where the usage is much like a variation of "monkey around" or "muck it up."

The only reasons to claim it must be a racist dog whistle are dishonesty and depravity.
                  "I've never heard that term before, but I'm pretty sure it's racist!" says the racist.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

That simply isn't true NR. The way monkey is used by racists is exactly the sort of under the table substitution this could be. Change "muck this up" or "mess this up" to 'Monkey this up' and to the racist you immediately obtain the alternate meaning. which is, plainly and simply, this:

Don't MESS this up by letting a MONKEY be governor.

It's clever in a way, Monkey carries a relevant double meaning in this case, and so it carries that meaning to anyone that is familiar with how the term is used in a racist context, not naive about how the term is used by racists.

So what we get back to then is what Carpe tried to get to, is there a reason to believe this politician would be motivated to make that little substitution on purpose.

But nowhere does it mean the people offended by that are 'dishonest and/or depraved'. That is, in many ways, a sick conclusion. Racism is NOT dead in this country. As far as we've come, we still have a ways to go. And it is nothing less than ignorant to pretend there is something wrong with the people that took offense.

However, it would be very simple for DeSantis to defuse this.

"Wow, I am so sorry. I see how that could have been taken, and I give you my word it was simply a mistake. Please accept my apology and know I work hard to make sure my speech and life relflects not one element of the depravity that would have made it possible for such a phrase to imply I was meaning that my primary issue with Gillum was related to his race. Gillum is a worthy opponent but we disagree on issues of policy."

So why can't he just do that (at least as of this writing I see no indication he has)? Because either it's not true (he did mean it to carry a racist impllication), he's clueless as to the effect of racism over history (and there are plenty here in that camp, so a real possibility) or he simply isn't capable of being gracious just like the Conspiracy Theorist in Chief.

Which again brings into view just how a man like Trump in office degrades this country and lowers the bar of public discourse to the point of real shame.

Jim
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-31-2018, 07:35 AM.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      "I've never heard that term before, but I'm pretty sure it's racist!" says the racist.
                      In this case the racist is saying that he's never heard the term before, but he still knows it is not racist.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        That is absurd. I suppose you would have been ok with my racist waiter referring to his customers of color as Monkeys? Or with the people in Mims Florida that vocally expressed their satisfaction with the black couple being unable to find a seat?

Are you so callous that knowing that is how racists use the term that you can't empathize with how persons growing up and the target of such terminology might hear exactly what was reported and be sickened by it?

Or are you the fellow that just doesn't care about what has been done to black people historically by white people? They should just get over it - right? Sure a few lynchings happened here or there a long time ago, but nothing like that happens today. Right?

Is that how you think MM?

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Has anybody been able to show any kind of racist pattern in this guy at ALL, besides this "monkey" comment?

Comment

Has anybody been able to show any kind of racist pattern in this guy at ALL, besides this "monkey" comment?
                            Stop trying to be rational in a discussion fueled by emotions

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Has anybody been able to show any kind of racist pattern in this guy at ALL, besides this "monkey" comment?
                              Right now the strongest evidence is that he can't mount any kind of reasonable apology. If he was trying to maintain the image he was not racist, then the way to do that is to show that he is shocked to learn that term could mean something he never intended, and to make sure he apologized for the mistake. Saying his words could not possibly carry a racist meaning when it was in fact taken to mean exactly that by likely at least 1/3* of the people voting in Florida simply doesn't fly.

By doubling down, he rather looks more and more like he has either an inappropriately ignorant understanding of the issue of racism in this country and has no intention of learning more (i.e. finding out why a large number of people could have heard what they heard in that comment), or he actually is racist and wants the statement to stand.

Jim

* 16% black the majority of which because of their own experiences with racism and that term would have heard it that way, at least that many non-blacks both Democrat and Republican that would have heard exactly what I heard, plus some percentage of racists encouraged by his use of the phrase.
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-31-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                Right now the strongest evidence is that he can't mount any kind of reasonable apology.
                                Jim, somebody who is a racist at heart isn't going to have just one little comment that can be taken out of context. I'm a little surprised that you're so quick to condemn, with so little evidence to back it up.

Comment