Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Tongues Speakers in AZ Senate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whag View Post
    A) I apologize for quoting your reference to their “constitutional right.” I must have imagined that.
    I'll pretend that your apology is sincere and accept it as such.

2.) I love that you said that because now you have to explain how that’s relevant to my OP.
    It was right there in the article you posted.

Is your objection to the video or my observation that TBN types conduct “private” prayer meetings peppered with bad glossolalia in AZ senate chambers?
    I'm not really objecting - more like pointing out my amusement that this causes such angst for some people.

I’d gladly reboot this discussion if you want to continue discussion on why conducting a private prayer meeting in AZ senate chambers is interesting. All I said was that there’s spectacle in that. If not, it would have been conducted orderly or maybe off in a meeting room.
    Look at your thread title. It's more like "half a dozen people pray asking for God's presence".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Honest question - is there more than ONE video of this?

I have no idea

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have no idea
        It appears there was one video that triggered the anti-God squad.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I think Whag is more upset that nobody cares about his attempt at manufactured outrage regarding this "event" than anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I think Whag is more upset that nobody cares about his attempt at manufactured outrage regarding this "event" than anything else.
            And that I'm amused at his thinking that praying - any kind of praying - in a public place is problematic, which is why he is "gesticulating wildly*" about this.

*just kidding

Comment

And that I'm amused at his thinking that praying - any kind of praying - in a public place is problematic, which is why he is "gesticulating wildly*" about this.

*just kidding
              Okay, now you’re just lying. Please post where I said public praying is problematic. I specifically said that obnoxious public praying in government building is spectacle. We then agreed this isn’t typical prayer meeting etiquette.

That’s neither mocking or saying in any way shape or form that “public prayer is problematic.” You lied.

Comment

You missed my point. I bolded “basic Biblical morality” then said it’s a can of worms by quoting that verse. Teachers cannot be burdened with teaching ancient scripture. That requires context. Context is part of learning. Are you advocating a new pedagogy where children are taught scripture in public school?

Yes, I did by courteously addressing specific commands that would make no sense to be posted in a legal institution. I did the same for public schools. You handwaved.

Kern proposed a bill to introduce the Decalogue in public schooling. If this topic doesn’t interest you, just say so.

For the sake of argument, it’s just a prayer meeting of TBN types. I wouldn’t know they existed except for their loud chatter. All things being equal, I’d say the same about a Krishna tambourine troupe or Muslims shouting Allah Akbar. Does that make sense? This is, to use Cow Poke ’s words, “different” behavior than what we’ve come to expect from civic leaders. That’s why I brought it up.

Why is the infiltration of Judaizers in the early church dealt with so harshly but somehow pointing out fake glossolaliasts in AZ senate is bigoted? Can you explain that to me like I’m 5?
                For one thing, you have not given one shred of evidence that these are "fake glossolaliasts". This thread is nothing but you once again getting your nose out of joint about Christianity.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

For one thing, you have not given one shred of evidence that these are "fake glossolaliasts". This thread is nothing but you once again getting your nose out of joint about Christianity.
                  Are you saying they’re actually speaking in tongues? There’s no denying they were talking over each other.

Comment

Are you saying they’re actually speaking in tongues? There’s no denying they were talking over each other.
                    I don't care if they were speaking in tongues or not. You claimed they were faking it when you have no way of knowing that.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't care if they were speaking in tongues or not. You claimed they were faking it when you have no way of knowing that.
                      You can clearly hear in the video there’s at least one person repeating a syllable, the characteristic expression of charismatics, and many people talking over each other.

Personally, I’m thinking there’s really no etiquette in a prayer meeting, public, private, or otherwise. Anything apparently goes.

To reiterate, please pray all you want in public. But if you do it with much expression—no matter your religion—don’t complain about being noticed and discussed. I wouldn’t impinge on your constitutional right to be extra and religious at the same time. We’re in violent agreement.

Comment

Okay, now you’re just lying.
                        Oh, me dear leftist looney friend, I am cut to the quick... there's no "lying", so I can't figure out why you keep getting so triggered, then tell ME to calm down.

Please post where I said public praying is problematic.
                        You don't have to say it, whag - it's what this whole thread is about.

I specifically said that obnoxious public praying in government building is spectacle.
                        OK, cool.

We then agreed this isn’t typical prayer meeting etiquette.
                        Maybe it is for them. Ya know, to each his own? Live and let live? For them, it may be quite typical. In fact, it would seem so.

That’s neither mocking or saying in any way shape or form that “public prayer is problematic.”
                        wow... maybe you OD'd on caffeine?

You lied.
                        I think tonight, when I go to bed, I'm going to pray that your legs grow together, and I might even do it in tongues!

Comment

You can clearly hear in the video there’s at least one person repeating a syllable, the characteristic expression of charismatics, and many people talking over each other.

Personally, I’m thinking there’s really no etiquette in a prayer meeting, public, private, or otherwise. Anything apparently goes.

To reiterate, please pray all you want in public. But if you do it with much expression—no matter your religion—don’t complain about being noticed and discussed. I wouldn’t impinge on your constitutional right to be extra and religious at the same time. We’re in violent agreement.
                          abner.jpg

ABNER, ABNER, Come QUICK!!!! They're PRAYING across the street, and gesticulating wildly, and I think I hear TONGUES!!!!!

Comment

abner.jpg

ABNER, ABNER, Come QUICK!!!! They're PRAYING across the street, and gesticulating wildly, and I think I hear TONGUES!!!!!
                            IMG_1733.jpeg

Comment

OK, THAT hurt! I'm going to my room to have a good cry.

(Actually, going to play with our grandkids and take them Chinese!)

Comment

I think tonight, when I go to bed, I'm going to pray that your legs grow together, and I might even do it in tongues!
                                IMG_1735.gif

Comment