Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Why confine Christianity to the USA?

They believe they are doing the Lord's work.

Stedfast Baptist Church describes itself as:

Fundamentals of Our Faith

CORE BELIEFS

WORD OF GOD – The King James Bible is the preserved word of God in English without any error and is word perfect. (2 Timothy 3:16, Psalms 12:6-7, Isaiah 59:21, Matthew 4:4, Matthew 24:35)

SALVATION – Salvation is by grace through faith. The only requirement of salvation is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ with all your heart. (This means to put all your trust in the gospel: the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.) (John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10, Romans 10:13, Ephesians 2:8)

HELL – Everyone who does not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ alone for salvation will spend eternity in constant torment of flames of Hell with no rest day or night in the presence of the Lamb (Jesus) and his holy angels. (John 3:18, John 3:36, Matthew 10:28, Revelation 14:10, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 21:8)

ETERNAL SECURITY – Anyone who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ and receives salvation will never die and has eternal life. (Once Saved Always Saved.) (John 3:15, John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:24, John 6:47, 1 Timothy 1:16)

TRINITY – God created the heaven and the earth and consists of three persons: The Father, Jesus Christ (The Word), and the Holy Ghost and these three are one God. (Genesis 1:1, 1 John 5:7, John 1:1, Ephesians 3:9)

THE FATHER – The Father so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to die for the sins of the world. No man has seen the Father but he has been declared by his son, Jesus Christ, whom he sent to be the saviour of the world. (John 1:18, John 3:16, 1 John 4:9, 1 John 4:12)

THE SON – Jesus is the word of God, the son of God and God. He created all things and became flesh, was born of a virgin, and died for the sins of the whole world, was buried, and rose again. (John 1:1, 1 John 5:7, Colossians 1:16, Isaiah 7:14,1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 1 Timothy 3:16)

THE HOLY GHOST – The Holy Ghost is the spirit of truth and guides believers into all truth but he does not speak of himself.(John 14:26, John 15:26, John 16:13, 1 John 5:6)

BAPTISM – After putting all your trust and faith in Jesus, believers should be baptized by immersion. Baptism is not a part of salvation, but rather demonstrates the belief in Christ that they now have. (John 3:23, Mark 1:9-10, Acts 8:36-39, Romans 6:3-4, Colossians 2:12)

CHURCH – The church is a local congregation of believers and is for the edification and exhortation of the saints. (Psalms 89:5, Psalms 89:7,1 Corinthians 1:2, 1 Corinthians 14:3,1 Timothy 4:13, 2 Corinthians 10:8, 2 Corinthians 13:10)

CREATION – God created the world in 6 literal days (~24 hours) around ~6,300 years ago based on the chronology of the Bible and all science. (Luke 3:23-38, Matthew 1:1-17, Exodus 20:11, Exodus 31:17, Mark 10:6, Genesis 1)

That page continues with some other "interesting" comments.

IMPORTANT DOCTRINES

SECOND COMING (Day of the Lord) – Jesus Christ will return again after a falling away, after the son of perdition is revealed, and after the tribulation. (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 1 Thessalonians 4:15, Matthew 24:29, Mark 13:24)

RAPTURE (Day of the Lord) – After the tribulation, at the second coming of Christ, Jesus will send his angels to rapture the elect (believers) before his wrath is poured out on the unbelieving world. (1 Thessalonians 4:17, Matthew 24:31, Mark 13:27, Luke 17:37,Revelation 7:9)

SIN – Sin is defined as a transgression of God’s law. This includes the entire Old and New Testament except where the New Testament expressly states that there was a change of the law. (1 John 3:4, Hebrews 7:12, Hebrews 9:10, Colossians 2:16, Romans 14:20)

Below is a list of a few major sins that our society deems acceptable but are not:

FALSE DOCTRINES – All of the following are false doctrines:

Shield of Faith Baptist Church holds:

Beliefs

We believe that salvation is by grace, through faith, and not of works. This means that salvation cannot be earned by any work (church attendance, baptism, repenting of your sins, etc, etc). Salvation is putting your faith in Jesus Christ and that he died, was buried, and rose from the grave to pay for your sin. You receive salvation by simply asking the Lord Jesus Christ to save you.

We believe in the eternal security of the believer (once saved always saved). Just like there is nothing you can do to earn salvation, there is nothing you can do to lose it.

We believe that the King James Bible is the Word of God. We believe God inspired and preserved it.

We believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, and that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary.

We also believe that Mary did not stay a virgin, but had other children that the scripture mentions.

We believe in the autonomy of the local church. This means that we are independent of all denominations, conventions, and fellowships. We have Jesus Christ and the Bible as the head of our church and not some Pope, Prophet, President, or Board of directors.

We believe in the “local church” we reject the teaching of the “universal church”.

We believe that church membership is a privilege and not a right and church members are subject to be removed from membership and not allowed to attend the services if they violate the qualifications of church membership as set forth in the Holy Scriptures and the by-laws of Shield of Faith Baptist Church.

We believe that the unsaved will spend eternity tormented in a literal hell (and eventually the Lake of Fire).

We reject the teaching of Calvinism and believe that God wants everyone to be saved.

We believe that abortion is murder and oppose all forms of birth control that end life after conception (fertilization).

We are Non-dispensational.

We oppose worldliness and believe in a holy separated life.

We take a stand against the Charismatic and Ecumenical movement of our day.

We believe that sodomy (homosexuality) is a sin and an abomination before God which God punishes with the death penalty. No sodomite (homosexual) will be allowed to attend or join Shield of Faith Baptist Church.

This is not an all inclusive list; we believe anything and everything found in the King James Version of the Bible.

While to my mind both "churches" resemble cults, they both clearly believe they are practising what they consider to be "true" Christianity.

And both churches have had ministers calling for the death penalty for homosexuals and LBGTQ+ individuals.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Just because a church calls itself Christian doesn't make it so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Just because a church calls itself Christian doesn't make it so.
      Hence my earlier comment to NorrinRadd. That is one of the problems of Christianity. Who is to decide what is the "correct" and "true" version?
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Hence my earlier comment to NorrinRadd. That is one of the problems of Christianity. Who is to decide what is the "correct" and "true" version?
        Jesus.

Comment

Jesus.
          And those whom he appoints as his representatives. The latter of course will be able to present the requisite bona-fides.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Given the various historians who have written biographies of Hitler and commented on his oratorical skills, do you consider those individuals [I cited three] also "admired" or were "proud" of Hitler?
            You are the one who declared that "I have not repeatedly praised Hitler."

That darn old evidence demonstrated otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Maybe if you bothered to actually read the passage you are referring to, you wouldn't seem so ignorant.

Scripture Verse: John 8

...they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

© Copyright Original Source

The pharisees were clearly challenging Jesus' authority with what they thought was a legal Catch 22, as they had done on previous occasions. If Jesus said, "Do not stone her," then they would have accused him of disobeying the Laws of the Moses and breaking their covenant with God. If Jesus said, "Go ahead and stone her," then they would have accused him of sedition for violating the laws of Rome, because while Rome may not have troubled itself with religious disputes, the authorities certainly would have taken notice if a group of men murdered a woman in the streets. Jesus clearly knew what the game was, so he shrewdly exposed their hypocrisy by turning their challenge back on them.

And while Jesus did not condemn the woman for adultery, he did caution her to "sin no more", suggesting that her actions up to that point had been sinful. He was not excusing adultery (assuming she was actually guilty of it) but was offering her a chance of repentance and salvation.

As I said, you Bible dunces love to quote "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" out of context because you ignorantly believe it prohibits Christians from condemning sin.
              This all brings up the new official Chicom-approved version of the Bible where Jesus ends up killing the woman himself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Are you the under-study, or his echo?
                Neither. Did you uncover your presuppositions yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  They were testing him in order to provide themselves with grounds to bring an accusation against him. That addresses the reason for asking him the question.

Context shows that the allegation of adultery was itself true.

Jesus did not impose a penalty, but did pass judgement. It could be said, against her accusers as much as her.
                  It generally takes two to commit adultery. They may well have trapped the woman in the first place.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Scripture Verse: <a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=John+8&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.John.8" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">John 8</a>

This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

© Copyright Original Source

They were hoping he would incriminate himself, so, yes, it was clearly a trick, you dumbass.
                    That is your interpretation.

However, this appears to be a later pericope. Although the oldest Syriac versions of ohn's gospel omit this narrative, some later Syriac MSS include it either after chapter seven verse fifty-two, in the margin, or as an appendix to the entire gospel.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You are the one who declared that "I have not repeatedly praised Hitler."

That darn old evidence demonstrated otherwise.
                      Once again, historians writing biographies of Hitler refer to his oratorical skills and the importance these had on his success.

Should Richard Evans, Joachim Fest, or Ian Kershaw be deemed admirers of Hitler because they mention that he possessed those skills?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Jesus.
                        Therein lies the problem. We have no writings from the man himself.

Nor was the historical figure a Christian. The Christ Jesus of later Christian theology is a construct.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• The evidence for a late addition of the forgiven adulteress, the most compelling being that it doesn't always appear in the same place, seems sound enough.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And those whom he appoints as his representatives. The latter of course will be able to present the requisite bona-fides.
                            Like the Popes?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Like the Popes?
                              I don't have any information indicating that the popes have been accredited spokesmen. Then again, that information won't necessarily make it into the annals.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Therein lies the problem. We have no writings from the man himself.
                                God left us a large inspired tomb full of Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.

Nor was the historical figure a Christian. The Christ Jesus of later Christian theology is a construct.
                                Well that's just your opinion and no one is overly interested in what you think.

Comment