Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

I found this from June.

Certainly Hitler was a brilliant orator and very good at rousing a crowd but perhaps Mr Paladino should have thought carefully before he made the comment.

From the article he does seem to have an unfortunate gift for making inflammatory remarks.

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-candidate...161513014.html

WASHINGTON ― Republican House candidate Carl Paladino praised Nazi leader Adolf Hitler’s ability to rouse “the crowds” and declared Hitler “the kind of leader we need today” in a February 2021 interview on the radio station WBEN in Buffalo, New York.

Paladino, a businessman and leading GOP figure in New York state who was the party’s gubernatorial nominee in 2010, is running for the Republican nomination to replace the retiring Rep. Chris Jacobs (R-N.Y.).

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), chair of the House Republican Conference, the third-ranking position in GOP House leadership, swiftly endorsed Paladino after Jacobs announced his retirement. Jacobs became a target of conservative gun rights activists following his endorsement of limited gun control measures.

When presented with Paladino’s statement that Hitler is “the kind of leader we need today,” Stefanik claimed it was taken out of context.

“I condemn any statement, but don’t take it out of context,” Stefanik told HuffPost. “That is not accurate reporting.”

Paladino’s pro-Hitler comments, first reported by the liberal media watchdog Media Matters, were made on The r-House Radio Show, a radio show hosted by real estate company executive Peter Hunt on a local Buffalo radio station.

Republican Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) endorsed Carl Paladino's bid for a Buffalo-area congressional seat. (Photo: Bill Clark via Getty Images)

“[M]any people don’t voice their opinion or just become, see it as utter futility,” Hunt said. “How do you rouse the population? How do you get people thinking about the possibility of change here in New York state and what that might mean for our, for everyone here?”

“I was thinking the other day about — somebody had mentioned on the radio Adolf Hitler and how he aroused the crowds,” Paladino responded, chuckling a little bit as he said the Nazi dictator’s name. “And he would get up there screaming these epithets and these people were just — they were hypnotized by him. That’s, I guess, I guess that’s the kind of leader we need today. We need somebody inspirational.”

Adolf Hitler was the fascist dictator of Nazi Germany from 1933 until his suicide at the end of World War II in 1945. He was responsible for ending democracy in Germany and starting a war for global domination that cost the lives of between 75 and 80 million people. That included approximately six million Jews mass murdered who died in the Holocaust, the attempted genocide of Jewish people orchestrated by Hitler.

Paladino released a statement Thursday saying that he does not actually support Hitler.

“Any implication that I support Hitler or any of the sick and disgusting actions of the Nazi regime is a new low for the media,” he said. “The context of my statement was in regards to something I heard on the radio from someone else and was repeating, I understand that invoking Hitler in any context is a serious mistake and rightfully upsets people. I strongly condemn the murderous atrocities committed against the Jewish people by Hitler and the Nazis.”

He also pointed to comments he made 12 years ago, in which he denounced Hitler and the Holocaust.

“There are some things in this world that we must all be angry about. During World War II, all decent people were angry at Hitler’s extermination of six million Jews in the gas chambers of Auschwitz,” he said in 2010. “During the days of the civil rights battle here in the United States, all decent people were angry at the brutal mistreatment of black people down South.”

Stefanik also pointed to this quote in the House GOP press briefing Thursday, as an indication that Paladino does not love Hitler.

But neither she nor Paladino included the part of the quote where Paladino compared gay marriage to the evil of the Holocaust, including it in the list of “some things in this world that we must all be angry about.”

“Congresswoman Stefanik has one of the strongest records in the U.S. Congress condemning anti-Semitism and led and passed bipartisan legislation to expand Holocaust education,” an adviser to Stefanik told HuffPost, further trying to distance the congresswoman from the comments of the man she endorsed.

This isn’t Paladino’s first brush with controversy. In 2016, he said in an interview that he would like to see President Barack Obama die from mad cow disease and First Lady Michelle Obama “return to being a male and let loose in the outback of Zimbabwe where she lives comfortably in a cave with Maxie, the gorilla.” Those comments led to Paladino being removed from the Buffalo School Board.

For those who may not have seen it I do recommend this. We watched it again last night.

A brilliant satire [although it does diverge from the book].

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 08-20-2022, 01:11 PM.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    ...he does seem to have an unfortunate gift for making inflammatory remarks.
    I think the same about you.

Comment

Surely someone like Winston Churchill or Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been better examples of inspirational speakers.

However, he is right to denounce the evil of homosexuality.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If, as you say, its out of context, why should we care about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Surely someone like Winston Churchill or Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been better examples of inspirational speakers.
          To some extent I would agree

However, he is right to denounce the evil of homosexuality.
          Why should it bother you? No one is asking you to engage in a homosexual relationship. Live and let live.

"It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
            If, as you say, its out of context, why should we care about it?
            His choice of orator was somewhat unfortunate.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Live and let live.
              If only.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                If only.
                "An you harm none, do what thou wilt"

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why should it bother you? No one is asking you to engage in a homosexual relationship. Live and let live.
                  If only homosexuals lived by that philosophy instead of shoving their deviant behavior in our faces at every opportunity.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"An you harm none, do what thou wilt"

I forget -- Is that the satanist credo, or the wiccan credo?
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

*sigh*

I'll probably regret getting involved, but oh well.

1) Seeing that <3 4 Hitler quote in context like that -- especially with his response later, and his citing of his own remarks from much earlier -- it's not nearly so bad as I'd thought. But I concede it's rarely a good idea to quote Hitler, and it's never a good idea for a Republican to drop his or her guard around media. Always assume they will twist and spin and, as the saying goes, put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble.

2) It's over the top to compare gay marriage to the Holocaust, but I agree that it's unfortunate. The problem isn't so much gay marriage per se as it is the overwhelming push to treat a disorder as "normal" and even desirable. Tangentially, I have kind of a nasty desire to see Gutfeld have an outspoken but not humorless conservative evangelical on his panel -- maybe Jason Whitlock -- along with, e.g., Rob Smith and Chadwick Moore, two frequent guests. Gutfeld has an obvious goal of normalizing the abnormals as much as possible. It would be interesting to see if someone like Jason would just quietly go along, or if he'd say what he really believes.

3) On "denouncing" vs. "Live and let live" -- Broadly speaking, the latter is not an option for believers. The question is how far we should go. In both the OT and the NT, most of the instructions are directed to the people of the Covenant, as opposed to outsiders. But in the OT, there were times when prophets spoke "oracles" (as it is rendered in most of the translations I use) to or about the other nations; and in the OT, the entire people of YHWH was in some sense a royal priesthood representing Him to the rest of the world (Ex. 19:6). In the NT, the coming of the Spirit makes all believers "prophets" in some sense (Acts 2), and 1 Pet. 2:9 and elsewhere reaffirm the idea that all believers are in some sense royal priests to the world. At the very least, we are to announce the Kingdom and the Good News of repentance for forgiveness of sins and salvation in Christ (Matt. 24:14; Luke 24:47; Mark 16:15-16).
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

If only homosexuals lived by that philosophy instead of shoving their deviant behavior in our faces at every opportunity.
                        A sweeping generalisation as many of us live quite everyday lives.

We go to work [unless we are retired] we live an ordinary domestic life, see friends and family, enjoy our hobbies, go on holiday, visit the theatre, cinema, and so on.

However, one might make the same observation towards some of those of the religious persuasion, particularly in your country.

Why are those individuals and groups always shoving their views in everybody else's face at the slightest opportunity?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Wiccan. And it actually [if one seriously considers its implications] is remarkably ethical because whatever we do, we always run the risk of "harming some" even if we are not aware of it.

So the potential consequences of actions have to be duly considered.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

1) Seeing that <3 4 Hitler quote in context like that -- especially with his response later, and his citing of his own remarks from much earlier -- it's not nearly so bad as I'd thought. But I concede it's rarely a good idea to quote Hitler, and it's never a good idea for a Republican to drop his or her guard around media. Always assume they will twist and spin and, as the saying goes, put the emPHAsis on the wrong sylLAble.
                            It was definitely an unfortunate comment, although no one can deny that Hitler knew how to "work" a crowd. And of course there is also the view that "The mob is the mother of tyrants".

2) It's over the top to compare gay marriage to the Holocaust, but I agree that it's unfortunate. The problem isn't so much gay marriage per se as it is the overwhelming push to treat a disorder as "normal" and even desirable. Tangentially, I have kind of a nasty desire to see Gutfeld have an outspoken but not humorless conservative evangelical on his panel -- maybe Jason Whitlock -- along with, e.g., Rob Smith and Chadwick Moore, two frequent guests. Gutfeld has an obvious goal of normalizing the abnormals as much as possible. It would be interesting to see if someone like Jason would just quietly go along, or if he'd say what he really believes.
                            The question remains what is "abnormal"? i.e. not normal, average, typical, or usual; deviating from a standard

Furthermore the definition given above is often cultural. In some cultures only having one wife or even [rarely] one husband would be considered abnormal or, at the very least, unusual. Some individuals consider childless couples [from choice] to be "abnormal". As to homosexuality given the prevalence of those who are homo [or bi] sexual perhaps it is not as "abnormal" as some would like to imagine.

Then again what is "normal"? Is anyone actually "normal"? We all have our psychological baggage.

3) On "denouncing" vs. "Live and let live" -- Broadly speaking, the latter is not an option for believers.
                            An ye harm none is the overriding ethic - see my above comment.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

In chronological order:

Augustine: Love and do what thou wilt
                              Hellfire Club Motto: Do what thou wilt
                              Crowley: Do what thou wilt, this shall be the whole law
                              Wicca: An it harm none, do what thou wilt

Augustine drew on Greek Philosophy (I think Plato, but can't be certain)
                              Crowley out of context looks worse than it is.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment