Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Where is the textual evidence this was a "trick"?
    This is the sort of question one should expect from someone who in all her years never bothers to read what she so energetically criticizes.

Scripture Verse: John 8:6

This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

© Copyright Original Source

Other translations use "trap," "trick" or "tempt."

Basically, if Jesus were to say that the woman ought to be stoned, then He would be going against his longstanding reputation for showing mercy to the poor and downtrodden, which would adversely effect His popularity. Further it might get Him in trouble with the Romans, who might see the act as overstepping the Jews' authority to exercise the death penalty.

But if He said that the woman shouldn't be stoned, then He would be accused of setting Himself against the Laws on Moses and seeking to undermine social order.

It was designed as a no-win trap and not the only time His enemies tried to ensnare Him thusly (i.e., Mark 10:2)

GotAnswers puts it this way

The story of the woman caught in adultery is found in John 8:1–11. Briefly, the story involves the scribes and Pharisees who, in their continuing efforts to trick Jesus into saying something they could hold against Him, brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. They reminded Him that the Mosaic Law demanded her to be stoned to death. “But what do you say?” they asked Him. At this point, Jesus stooped down and starting writing something in the dirt. When He straightened up, He said, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8:7). Then He stooped down and wrote again. One by one, the people left (verses 8–9).

The Jewish leaders had already disregarded the Law by arresting the woman without the man. The Law required that both parties to adultery be stoned (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22). The leaders were using the woman as a trap so they could trick Jesus. If Jesus said the woman should not be stoned, they would accuse him of violating Moses’ Law. If He urged them to execute her, they would report Him to the Romans, who did not permit the Jews to carry out their own executions (John 18:31).

Some scholars have pointed out that the Law of Moses does not specify stoning in all cases of adultery, but rather only in the instance when a betrothed virgin is caught in adultery which would result in both parties being stoned (Deuteronomy 22;23-24), and point out that the most common punishment for adultery at the time wasn't death, but divorce and financial compensation. This can be seen in the Mishnah (which was composed during the first and second century A.D.), specifically Sotah 5:1 which appears to take for granted that the punishment for adultery would be divorce.

Of course, if you simply had bothered to read the text, you could clearly see for yourself "Where is the textual evidence this was a "trick"?"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This is the sort of question one should expect from someone who in all her years never bothers to read what she so energetically criticizes.

Scripture Verse: John 8:6

This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

Other translations use "trap," "trick" or "tempt."

Basically, if Jesus were to say that the woman ought to be stoned, then He would be going against his longstanding reputation for showing mercy to the poor and downtrodden, which would adversely effect His popularity. Further it might get Him in trouble with the Romans, who might see the act as overstepping the Jews' authority to exercise the death penalty.

But if He said that the woman shouldn't be stoned, then He would be accused of setting Himself against the Laws on Moses and seeking to undermine social order.

It was designed as a no-win trap and not the only time His enemies tried to ensnare Him thusly (i.e., Mark 10:2)

GotAnswers puts it this way

The story of the woman caught in adultery is found in John 8:1–11. Briefly, the story involves the scribes and Pharisees who, in their continuing efforts to trick Jesus into saying something they could hold against Him, brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. They reminded Him that the Mosaic Law demanded her to be stoned to death. “But what do you say?” they asked Him. At this point, Jesus stooped down and starting writing something in the dirt. When He straightened up, He said, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8:7). Then He stooped down and wrote again. One by one, the people left (verses 8–9).

The Jewish leaders had already disregarded the Law by arresting the woman without the man. The Law required that both parties to adultery be stoned (Leviticus 20:10; Deuteronomy 22:22). The leaders were using the woman as a trap so they could trick Jesus. If Jesus said the woman should not be stoned, they would accuse him of violating Moses’ Law. If He urged them to execute her, they would report Him to the Romans, who did not permit the Jews to carry out their own executions (John 18:31).

Some scholars have pointed out that the Law of Moses does not specify stoning in all cases of adultery, but rather only in the instance when a betrothed virgin is caught in adultery which would result in both parties being stoned (Deuteronomy 22;23-24), and point out that the most common punishment for adultery at the time wasn't death, but divorce and financial compensation. This can be seen in the Mishnah (which was composed during the first and second century A.D.), specifically Sotah 5:1 which appears to take for granted that the punishment for adultery would be divorce.

Of course, if you simply had bothered to read the text, you could clearly see for yourself "Where is the textual evidence this was a "trick"?"

The word used εκπειραζοντες [to prove/test thoroughly] or tempt does not automatically mean to trick. That is down to the decision of the translator.

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Have you determined your presuppositions yet?
        Are you the under-study, or his echo?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The word used εκπειραζοντες [to prove/test thoroughly] or tempt does not automatically mean to trick. That is down to the decision of the translator.

864c697e-e9f2-48ee-b638-a30f45b7ca53.jpg

Since I'm not a big fan of Strong's let's take a look at what the University of Chicago's Logion lexicon has to say
          a36ed996-2feb-4f5e-b9a9-89fb201f7de2.jpg

And the Perseus Digital Library agrees
          df155261-0c2c-48ee-bbbb-877c8393d6a4.jpg

So it would appear that "tempt" is the best translation with Strong also supporting "trap" and "test" as well. And while tempting is a form of testing, as can see by the three temptations (Matthew 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13; cf., Mark 1:12-13), it was an effort to trick Jesus.

ETA: That it was a trap is supported by the fact that this was hardly the first time His enemies tried to establish a no-win trap for Him.
          Last edited by rogue06; 08-23-2022, 06:32 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

864c697e-e9f2-48ee-b638-a30f45b7ca53.jpg

Since I'm not a big fan of Strong's let's take a look at what the University of Chicago's Logion lexicon has to say
            a36ed996-2feb-4f5e-b9a9-89fb201f7de2.jpg

And the Perseus Digital Library agrees
            df155261-0c2c-48ee-bbbb-877c8393d6a4.jpg

So it would appear that "tempt" is the best translation with Strong also supporting "trap" and "test" as well. And while tempting is a form of testing, as can see by the three temptations (Matthew 4:1-11; Luke 4:1-13; cf., Mark 1:12-13), it was an effort to trick Jesus.

ETA: That it was a trap is supported by the fact that this was hardly the first time His enemies tried to establish a no-win trap for Him.
            Once again I am of the opinion that along with tabibito you do not read what I have written, given that I included the word "tempt" in my previous reply.

However, to tempt/test does not automatically mean to trick which is the word Mountain Man employed.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have not repeatedly praised Hitler. Once again your mendacity is on full view.
              Really? Let's see here...

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              Certainly Hitler was a brilliant orator and very good at rousing a crowd
              I do not think anyone would deny Hitler's oratorical skills.
              [Hitler] knew [as I wrote earlier] how to "work" a crowd.
              [Hitler] was a gifted orator.
              The fact remains that Hitler was a skilled orator
              I would say that qualifies as "repeatedly".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Really? Let's see here...

I would say that qualifies as "repeatedly".

Given the various historians who have written biographies of Hitler and commented on his oratorical skills, do you consider those individuals [I cited three] also "admired" or were "proud" of Hitler?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Where is the textual evidence this was a "trick"?

Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery

The Romans took little interest in the religious affairs of their conquered peoples providing those religious beliefs did not affect the status quo and Rome's overall control of that specific province. Anything that threatened the status quo [e.g. in Judaea an individual being proclaimed as the King of Jews] were another matter.

He did not condemn her.

Jesus was not a Christian. He lived and died a practising and observant Jew.
                  Maybe if you bothered to actually read the passage you are referring to, you wouldn't seem so ignorant.

Scripture Verse: John 8

...they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

The pharisees were clearly challenging Jesus' authority with what they thought was a legal Catch 22, as they had done on previous occasions. If Jesus said, "Do not stone her," then they would have accused him of disobeying the Laws of the Moses and breaking their covenant with God. If Jesus said, "Go ahead and stone her," then they would have accused him of sedition for violating the laws of Rome, because while Rome may not have troubled itself with religious disputes, the authorities certainly would have taken notice if a group of men murdered a woman in the streets. Jesus clearly knew what the game was, so he shrewdly exposed their hypocrisy by turning their challenge back on them.

And while Jesus did not condemn the woman for adultery, he did caution her to "sin no more", suggesting that her actions up to that point had been sinful. He was not excusing adultery (assuming she was actually guilty of it) but was offering her a chance of repentance and salvation.

As I said, you Bible dunces love to quote "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" out of context because you ignorantly believe it prohibits Christians from condemning sin.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-23-2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Once again I am of the opinion that along with tabibito you do not read what I have written, given that I included the word "tempt" in my previous reply.

However, to tempt/test does not automatically mean to trick which is the word Mountain Man employed.
                    It's ironic that you, of all people, would accuse others of not reading what you have written given how you tend to gloss over so much.

Such as

Or from my previous post

You know, the evidence for why, in this instance, "trick" is probably the best reading

Maybe I should start squealing that you refuse to address something, but unlike yourself, only do so when you actually don't provide an answer.

Comment

Do you have a point to make?
                      Civil Discourse and Maranatha have both provided adequate summation.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Civil Discourse and Maranatha have both provided adequate summation.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It's ironic that you, of all people, would accuse others of not reading what you have written given how you tend to gloss over so much.

Such as

Or from my previous post

You know, the evidence for why, in this instance, "trick" is probably the best reading

Maybe I should start squealing that you refuse to address something, but unlike yourself, only do so when you actually don't provide an answer.
                          The use of the English word "trick" is not implied by the Greek. That is a decision made by a translator.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Maybe if you bothered to actually read the passage you are referring to, you wouldn't seem so ignorant.

...they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

The pharisees were clearly challenging Jesus' authority with what they thought was a legal Catch 22, as they had done on previous occasions. If Jesus said, "Do not stone her," then they would have accused him of disobeying the Laws of the Moses and breaking their covenant with God. If Jesus said, "Go ahead and stone her," then they would have accused him of sedition for violating the laws of Rome, because while Rome may not have troubled itself with religious disputes, the authorities certainly would have taken notice if a group of men murdered a woman in the streets. Jesus clearly knew what the game was, so he shrewdly exposed their hypocrisy by turning their challenge back on them.

And while Jesus did not condemn the woman for adultery, he did caution her to "sin no more", suggesting that her actions up to that point had been sinful. He was not excusing adultery (assuming she was actually guilty of it) but was offering her a chance of repentance and salvation.

As I said, you Bible dunces love to quote "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" out of context because you ignorantly believe it prohibits Christians from condemning sin.
                            To test or tempt does not automatically infer to trick which is what you wrote here:

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Bible doesn't tell us if the woman in question was actually guilty of adultery, only that she had been accused in an attempt to trick Jesus.

The text of that pericope found in later versions of John also states that:

The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and, making her stand before all of them, 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery.

Or is this inferred to be yet another lie on the part of the "wicked Jews"?

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• They were testing him in order to provide themselves with grounds to bring an accusation against him. That addresses the reason for asking him the question.

Context shows that the allegation of adultery was itself true.

Jesus did not impose a penalty, but did pass judgement. It could be said, against her accusers as much as her.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

To test or tempt does not automatically infer to trick which is what you wrote here:

The text of that pericope found in later versions of John also states that:

The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and, making her stand before all of them, 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery.

Or is this inferred to be yet another lie on the part of the "wicked Jews"?

This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him.

They were hoping he would incriminate himself, so, yes, it was clearly a trick, you dumbass.

Comment