Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are some Americans taking their cue from China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Over the past 43 years, anti-abortion extremists have committed at least 11 murders

So much for being "pro-life"!
    lol 11 murders are rookie numbers, compare that to the tens of millions (or do they go over 100 million? i lost track) of abortions alone and it's not even a competition.

anyway, car incident was self defense, no idea why leftists expect people to just stand there and let mobs attack their car given your track record of dragging innocent people out of them and murdering them.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, what part of the "inspiration" were you talking about? I'm assuming that with your reference to Tiananmen Square, you must be talking about the famous guy in front of the tank (especially since you said "truck not a tank"). Since you ALSO said that they weren't blocking traffic, it would appear that you weren't referring to the protesters being inspired by the man blocking the tank....which leaves ONLY the tank...which, of course was the chinese government....
      One man cannot block a tank. Nor can a group of protesters.

The inspiration refers for attacking [with vehicles] protesters with whom whose viewpoint you disagree. In China the Chinese government's behaviour towards those who dared to protest against it is being played out by American citizens against one another. Did James Fields start a fashion?
      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-28-2022, 08:09 PM.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

lol 11 murders are rookie numbers, compare that to the tens of millions (or do they go over 100 million? i lost track) of abortions alone and it's not even a competition.

anyway, car incident was self defense, no idea why leftists expect people to just stand there and let mobs attack their car given your track record of dragging innocent people out of them and murdering them.
        Perhaps twenty one deaths at at Uvalde are also "rookie numbers" along with the fifty eight at Las Vegas, the twenty seven at Sandy Hook, and the thirty two at Virginia Tech [to name just a few of US atrocities].
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Perhaps twenty one deaths at at Uvalde are also "rookie numbers" along with the fifty eight at Las Vegas, the twenty seven at Sandy Hook, and the thirty two at Virginia Tech [to name just a few of US atrocities].
          How would we know? You still haven't let us know if it's okay to rank atrocities or not. We never found out the result of your debate with other Hypatia on which one is allowed.

Comment

I did refer to China not the Chinese government.
            Yes, because it was ordinary Chinese citizens driving the tank.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Looks like it's time for Hypatia to debate other Hypatia again.
              Yeah, I was just about to do that same thing, but you beat me to it. She simply can't keep her own story straight.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One man cannot block a tank. Nor can a group of protesters.

The inspiration refers for attacking [with vehicles] protesters with whom whose viewpoint you disagree. In China the Chinese government's behaviour towards those who dared to protest against it is being played out by American citizens against one another. Did James Fields start a fashion?
                So, now, you're trying to pretend like you INTENDED to make this totally unrelated 'comparison'. This is one of the reasons nobody* sees you as posting in good faith.

*OK, maybe one or two of the far left loony left.

Comment

Granted it was not a tank but it was a large truck and what is this legislation? Now drivers can run pedestrians down with impunity? The women did not appear to be blocking traffic in that section of the street which is apparently what the legislation is in part intended to address.

From various news sources but this is from here: https://www.salon.com/2022/06/26/dri...-iowa_partner/

An unidentified male motorist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa intentionally rammed into several women on Friday night as abortion rights defenders peacefully protested the right-wing U.S. Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade.

The driver of a Ford truck maneuvered around multiple cars at a red light and drove through the tail end of a group of demonstrators who were crossing a street downtown, running over one woman's ankle and sending her to the hospital, witnesses told HuffPost.

"He tried to murder them," said Lyz Lenz, a local journalist and witness to the attack. "These women see him coming and a bunch of people put their hands out to stop him. And he just keeps going."

Video footage recorded by Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker shows several women standing in front of the truck with outstretched arms, trying to persuade the driver to stop. But the motorist keeps plowing forward, knocking down and injuring several of them.

Alexis Russell, who can be seen reaching into the driver's side window in an attempt to steer him away from other protestors, told HuffPost that he "grabbed my sign and ripped it, and I fell, and he proceeded to run over one of the girls."

Although the Cedar Rapids police reportedly interviewed the driver Friday night, no arrests were made.

Iowa is one of three states that have enacted laws shielding motorists who run over protestors from liability under certain circumstances.

The bill that Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds signed into law last June grants a driver "who is exercising due care" immunity from civil lawsuits for injuring someone "who is participating in a protest, demonstration, riot, or unlawful assembly or who is engaging in disorderly conduct and is blocking traffic in a public street."

Similar bills have been introduced in more than a dozen other states since 2017.

According to HuffPost, "Several witnesses argued that the attack was motivated by anger over the protest," one of many that erupted nationwide after the high court's reactionary majority eliminated the constitutional right to abortion, immediately harming pregnant people in Republican-controlled states with "trigger bans" and endangering many more elsewhere.

Molly Monk, a witness, told the outlet that the driver went "out of his way to hit protesters in the street who had very visible, very clear signs that they were pro-choice."

"It makes me feel like the pro-life movement is a complete lie if, in order to be against people who are protesting for abortion rights, you try to murder them in my street, in my neighborhood," said Monk. "It makes me very, very sad, very hurt, and very angry that this is what people think pro-life means."

The anti-abortion movement has an extensive history of violence.

Over the past 43 years, anti-abortion extremists have committed at least 11 murders, attempted over two dozen more, issued almost 1,000 threats of harm or death, and been involved in 614 stalking incidents and four kidnappings, according to the National Abortion Federation. They have also bombed more than 40 abortion clinics, set fire to nearly 200, and made roughly 670 bomb threats.

So much for being "pro-life"!

And then we have this from a State Senate candidate no less!

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06...protest-arrest

Soon after a video appeared to capture a Republican State Senate candidate and off-duty police officer punching his Democratic opponent, a woman, at an abortion protest in Rhode Island, he was arrested and charged — and he withdrew from the race.

Jeann Lugo, 35, was charged on Saturday with simple assault and disorderly conduct after the Friday night skirmish outside the State House in Providence, according to the Providence Police Department. He was also suspended from the force.

Jennifer Rourke, 40, a progressive Democrat who is running for the State Senate for the third time after losing primaries in 2018 and 2020, identified herself as the victim.

The confrontation on Friday — viewed nearly 5 million times on Twitter in a video taken by a journalist — came as a crowd of demonstrators had assembled at the state capitol to decry the Supreme Court’s ruling earlier that day striking down Roe v. Wade.

In the video, a man is seen repeatedly striking a demonstrator in the head with a closed fist, an assault that Providence’s mayor called “immensely disturbing.”

I suppose it will not be long before some pro-life individual takes out her/his gun [or guns] to silence some protesters permanently.
                  Not even a big story in Des Moines. I wonder why?

Source: Abortion protester hurt in altercation with pickup truck driver

Police are investigating how an argument Friday evening between a pickup truck driver and demonstrators protesting the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling against abortion rights led to a collision between the truck and a pedestrian, who was injured in the altercation.

Police interviewed the injured protester, who was later taken by a car to the hospital to be evaluated, and the driver of the truck.

But no arrests were announced and police said they were scouring the area for surveillance video cameras that may have captured the incident. Videos posted to social media showed a truck with its window rolled down with what appears to be the driver exchanging words with several protesters around the truck, including some crossing the street as the vehicle continued to move forward.

While police in a news release described the collision only by saying “contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians,” some of those who were at the protest said the incident was a deliberate act against the protesters.

"What happened today was an act of pure violence,“ said Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker, who rushed to help women who were in front of the truck. ”Young women who were protesting the recent Supreme Court decision that threatens their right to health care and bodily autonomy were targeted. Many of them were physically hurt and many will be afflicted by the mental trauma of this event. It is my hope that the individual responsible for this act will be brought to justice, and that the basic human rights of all people can be honored in this country."

A police statement said the incident happened at 7:17 p.m. near the U.S. Courthouse near Eighth Avenue and Second Street SE in downtown Cedar Rapids. About 200 protesters had gathered there.

“Preliminary investigations indicate a group of protesters were attempting to legally cross the street in front of the Federal Courthouse when the traffic lights changed, giving right of way to vehicles on 8th Avenue,” the statement said. “Following verbal confrontations between the protesters and a driver, contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians.”

Walker said in an interview that the incident happened as the protest was winding down and people were beginning to return to a staging area.

“As I crossed the street, I heard a commotion,” he said. “I turned back to see a truck driving into the crowd with at least two young women — one of whom is a Linn County staffer — directly in front of the vehicle, and another woman appeared to be engaged with the vehicle near the driver's side.

“It became apparent that the vehicle had no intention of stopping so I ran as fast as I could to try to get the young staffer out of harm's way,” he said. “The driver accelerated and injured several young women in the process. Thankfully the women in front of the vehicle were not run over."

Video posted to social media captured the truck’s personalized license plate as the driver sped away. Police said the driver was “voluntarily interviewed,” but didn’t say whether that was at the scene or whether they had found the driver later.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Des Moines is a solid blue (Democrat) stronghold in Iowa so you can't pretend that the cops are covering for the guy, but apparently their investigation didn't find what the protesters claim and no arrests were made. In fact there is no indication from this that abortion was a motive. It sounds like the driver got pissed off that people were ignoring the traffic light and they got in an altercation with a driver.

This is a factor as well

Source: Lawyer weighs in on protester struck by truck during protest

Police said a group of protesters was crossing Second Street SE along Eighth Avenue SE legally; then the light changed, which gave the right-of-way to the truck driver.

That’s when police said an altercation happened between the driver and one of the protesters. Darin Luneckas, a personal injury attorney at Luneckas Law, said a portion of the so-called “Back the Blue” law passed last year could play a role. Part of the law gives immunity to drivers if they are safely trying to maneuver through protestors.

“The video I’ve seen indicates that he was operating in a manner that was fairly slow and cautious,” Luneckas said. “If that’s all the potential jury has to see in a civil liability claim, then I believe that particular statute would give the judge ground not to let the case even go forward. Or the jury would be allowed to get a jury instruction, and if the jury finds that he’s operating with care, he’ll be completely absolved with any civil liability.”

Luneckas said one point of liability was if the driver could be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. At this time, no charges have been filed.

Source

So it really isn't looking like anything comparable to say the incident in Waukesha where a racist driver deliberately targeted people to run over resulting in 6 deaths and over 60 injuries. I wonder if H_A immediately thought of Tiananmen Square then?

In fact, not even comparable to any of the rash of incidents where deranged leftists have plowed into crowds of conservatives and Trump supporters the past few years that never garner a mention in national news outlets like this slow motion bump did. I've mentioned one of the incidents previously and had collected info of nearly a dozen more thinking of starting a thread last year but ended up deciding not to and dumped them. But I still have the one previously mentioned

Heck, even when a man tried to mow down six Trump supporters with his van while they were inside a Republican Party voter registration tent in Jacksonville, Florida this past February, it was ignored by the big three network news shows.

image_42527.jpg
                  The bottom right picture shows the perpetrator's
                  vehicle driving away from the scene of the crime

As well as this showing how Democrat Party officials respond to protests they don't like

And shortly before the election the Communications Director for the Democratic Party Of Washington County, Oregon, Clayton John Callahan, was, in the words of the Hillsboro Police account released to the media, "confronted one of the Trump supporters — rallygoers — with a knife, and as a result of his actions he has been arrested."

This Democrat Party official (admittedly only at the county level) got mad and pulled a knife at a Women For Trump rally, but, as the MSM tells us, it is Trump supporters that you have to watch out for

There are videos as well as images on the interwebz of this such as these:
                  image_42523.jpgimage_42524.jpgimage_42525.jpg
                  I probably should point out that certainly wasn't a little 'penknife' he was threatening people with.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I have no problem with a driver trying to escape people trying to attack his vehicle and potentially break inside to harm him. Why would any sane person have a problem with that? We've seen what happens when liberals pull someone out of their vehicle - they get beaten and potentially seriously harmed if not killed. We saw it in the summer of 2020, we saw it during the Rodney King riots.

If a mob of angry nutjobs surrounds my vehicle and starts trying to get in, I'm not going to be thinking about making sure I carefully inch my way out, I'm going to leave before I have to use even more serious force to deal with them if they do break in (namely my firearm).
                    He was supposed to have patiently waited until the increasingly angry crowd yanked him out of his vehicle and let them do a Reginald Denny on him.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      “Every City, Every Town, Burn The Precinct To The Ground”: A Night Of Rage Over Roe V. Wade

Roe-v.-Wade.jpg

In the wake of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling on Friday, which struck down a 1973 precedent that established access to abortion as a constitutional right, some activists responded with violence, calls to extreme action, protest, and vulgar behavior all over the United States.

Despite House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s best attempts to paint the ruling as the product of an “extreme” Republican party and Supreme Court, Democrat-supporting activists and pundits showed just how extreme the political left can be.

Violence and Vandalism

On Friday night, Antifa took to the streets of Washington, D.C. to commit violent acts.

Video footage shows the so-called “anti-fascist” activists wearing all-black outfits – indicating that they are members of the particularly violent “Black Bloc” group – with backpacks full of supplies and masks covering their faces. Activists were seen violently clashing with the police.

Police officers attempted to hold back the activists, many of whom were holding umbrellas, possibly to shield their faces from cameras or protect themselves from pepper spray and projectiles thrown by fellow protestors.
                      All of which is fine and dandy as the left repeatedly demonstrate that the only bad political violence that ever took place happened for a couple of hours on January 6, 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, what part of the "inspiration" were you talking about? I'm assuming that with your reference to Tiananmen Square, you must be talking about the famous guy in front of the tank (especially since you said "truck not a tank"). Since you ALSO said that they weren't blocking traffic, it would appear that you weren't referring to the protesters being inspired by the man blocking the tank....which leaves ONLY the tank...which, of course was the chinese government....
                        H_A really sucks at analogies.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Not even a big story in Des Moines. I wonder why?

Source: Abortion protester hurt in altercation with pickup truck driver

Police are investigating how an argument Friday evening between a pickup truck driver and demonstrators protesting the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling against abortion rights led to a collision between the truck and a pedestrian, who was injured in the altercation.

Police interviewed the injured protester, who was later taken by a car to the hospital to be evaluated, and the driver of the truck.

But no arrests were announced and police said they were scouring the area for surveillance video cameras that may have captured the incident. Videos posted to social media showed a truck with its window rolled down with what appears to be the driver exchanging words with several protesters around the truck, including some crossing the street as the vehicle continued to move forward.

While police in a news release described the collision only by saying “contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians,” some of those who were at the protest said the incident was a deliberate act against the protesters.

"What happened today was an act of pure violence,“ said Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker, who rushed to help women who were in front of the truck. ”Young women who were protesting the recent Supreme Court decision that threatens their right to health care and bodily autonomy were targeted. Many of them were physically hurt and many will be afflicted by the mental trauma of this event. It is my hope that the individual responsible for this act will be brought to justice, and that the basic human rights of all people can be honored in this country."

A police statement said the incident happened at 7:17 p.m. near the U.S. Courthouse near Eighth Avenue and Second Street SE in downtown Cedar Rapids. About 200 protesters had gathered there.

“Preliminary investigations indicate a group of protesters were attempting to legally cross the street in front of the Federal Courthouse when the traffic lights changed, giving right of way to vehicles on 8th Avenue,” the statement said. “Following verbal confrontations between the protesters and a driver, contact was made between a vehicle and one of the pedestrians.”

Walker said in an interview that the incident happened as the protest was winding down and people were beginning to return to a staging area.

“As I crossed the street, I heard a commotion,” he said. “I turned back to see a truck driving into the crowd with at least two young women — one of whom is a Linn County staffer — directly in front of the vehicle, and another woman appeared to be engaged with the vehicle near the driver's side.

“It became apparent that the vehicle had no intention of stopping so I ran as fast as I could to try to get the young staffer out of harm's way,” he said. “The driver accelerated and injured several young women in the process. Thankfully the women in front of the vehicle were not run over."

Video posted to social media captured the truck’s personalized license plate as the driver sped away. Police said the driver was “voluntarily interviewed,” but didn’t say whether that was at the scene or whether they had found the driver later.

Source

Des Moines is a solid blue (Democrat) stronghold in Iowa so you can't pretend that the cops are covering for the guy, but apparently their investigation didn't find what the protesters claim and no arrests were made. In fact there is no indication from this that abortion was a motive. It sounds like the driver got pissed off that people were ignoring the traffic light and they got in an altercation with a driver.

This is a factor as well

Source: Lawyer weighs in on protester struck by truck during protest

Police said a group of protesters was crossing Second Street SE along Eighth Avenue SE legally; then the light changed, which gave the right-of-way to the truck driver.

That’s when police said an altercation happened between the driver and one of the protesters. Darin Luneckas, a personal injury attorney at Luneckas Law, said a portion of the so-called “Back the Blue” law passed last year could play a role. Part of the law gives immunity to drivers if they are safely trying to maneuver through protestors.

“The video I’ve seen indicates that he was operating in a manner that was fairly slow and cautious,” Luneckas said. “If that’s all the potential jury has to see in a civil liability claim, then I believe that particular statute would give the judge ground not to let the case even go forward. Or the jury would be allowed to get a jury instruction, and if the jury finds that he’s operating with care, he’ll be completely absolved with any civil liability.”

Luneckas said one point of liability was if the driver could be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. At this time, no charges have been filed.

Source

So it really isn't looking like anything comparable to say the incident in Waukesha where a racist driver deliberately targeted people to run over resulting in 6 deaths and over 60 injuries. I wonder if H_A immediately thought of Tiananmen Square then?

In fact, not even comparable to any of the rash of incidents where deranged leftists have plowed into crowds of conservatives and Trump supporters the past few years that never garner a mention in national news outlets like this slow motion bump did. I've mentioned one of the incidents previously and had collected info of nearly a dozen more thinking of starting a thread last year but ended up deciding not to and dumped them. But I still have the one previously mentioned

Heck, even when a man tried to mow down six Trump supporters with his van while they were inside a Republican Party voter registration tent in Jacksonville, Florida this past February, it was ignored by the big three network news shows.

image_42527.jpg
                          The bottom right picture shows the perpetrator's
                          vehicle driving away from the scene of the crime

As well as this showing how Democrat Party officials respond to protests they don't like

And shortly before the election the Communications Director for the Democratic Party Of Washington County, Oregon, Clayton John Callahan, was, in the words of the Hillsboro Police account released to the media, "confronted one of the Trump supporters — rallygoers — with a knife, and as a result of his actions he has been arrested."

This Democrat Party official (admittedly only at the county level) got mad and pulled a knife at a Women For Trump rally, but, as the MSM tells us, it is Trump supporters that you have to watch out for

There are videos as well as images on the interwebz of this such as these:
                          image_42523.jpgimage_42524.jpgimage_42525.jpg
                          I probably should point out that certainly wasn't a little 'penknife' he was threatening people with.

Is all that supposed a defence of this event?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I did refer to China not the Chinese government.
                            So it was just some average run of the mill Chinese citizen out for a nice little drive around town in his tank.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              H_A really sucks at analogies.
                              Oh, I know. :) I love using them on her too.

Comment

From several responses it seems that some consider this driver to be entirely innocent and the poor man was in fact set upon by a group of maenads
                                This is what the video seems to show, unless there is a longer clip somewhere that provides additional context.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment