Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are some Americans taking their cue from China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are some Americans taking their cue from China?

Granted it was not a tank but it was a large truck and what is this legislation? Now drivers can run pedestrians down with impunity? The women did not appear to be blocking traffic in that section of the street which is apparently what the legislation is in part intended to address.

From various news sources but this is from here: https://www.salon.com/2022/06/26/dri...-iowa_partner/

An unidentified male motorist in Cedar Rapids, Iowa intentionally rammed into several women on Friday night as abortion rights defenders peacefully protested the right-wing U.S. Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade.

The driver of a Ford truck maneuvered around multiple cars at a red light and drove through the tail end of a group of demonstrators who were crossing a street downtown, running over one woman's ankle and sending her to the hospital, witnesses told HuffPost.

"He tried to murder them," said Lyz Lenz, a local journalist and witness to the attack. "These women see him coming and a bunch of people put their hands out to stop him. And he just keeps going."

Video footage recorded by Linn County Supervisor Stacey Walker shows several women standing in front of the truck with outstretched arms, trying to persuade the driver to stop. But the motorist keeps plowing forward, knocking down and injuring several of them.

Alexis Russell, who can be seen reaching into the driver's side window in an attempt to steer him away from other protestors, told HuffPost that he "grabbed my sign and ripped it, and I fell, and he proceeded to run over one of the girls."

Although the Cedar Rapids police reportedly interviewed the driver Friday night, no arrests were made.

Iowa is one of three states that have enacted laws shielding motorists who run over protestors from liability under certain circumstances.

The bill that Republican Gov. Kim Reynolds signed into law last June grants a driver "who is exercising due care" immunity from civil lawsuits for injuring someone "who is participating in a protest, demonstration, riot, or unlawful assembly or who is engaging in disorderly conduct and is blocking traffic in a public street."

Similar bills have been introduced in more than a dozen other states since 2017.

According to HuffPost, "Several witnesses argued that the attack was motivated by anger over the protest," one of many that erupted nationwide after the high court's reactionary majority eliminated the constitutional right to abortion, immediately harming pregnant people in Republican-controlled states with "trigger bans" and endangering many more elsewhere.

Molly Monk, a witness, told the outlet that the driver went "out of his way to hit protesters in the street who had very visible, very clear signs that they were pro-choice."

"It makes me feel like the pro-life movement is a complete lie if, in order to be against people who are protesting for abortion rights, you try to murder them in my street, in my neighborhood," said Monk. "It makes me very, very sad, very hurt, and very angry that this is what people think pro-life means."

The anti-abortion movement has an extensive history of violence.

Over the past 43 years, anti-abortion extremists have committed at least 11 murders, attempted over two dozen more, issued almost 1,000 threats of harm or death, and been involved in 614 stalking incidents and four kidnappings, according to the National Abortion Federation. They have also bombed more than 40 abortion clinics, set fire to nearly 200, and made roughly 670 bomb threats.

So much for being "pro-life"!

And then we have this from a State Senate candidate no less!

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06...protest-arrest

Soon after a video appeared to capture a Republican State Senate candidate and off-duty police officer punching his Democratic opponent, a woman, at an abortion protest in Rhode Island, he was arrested and charged — and he withdrew from the race.

Jeann Lugo, 35, was charged on Saturday with simple assault and disorderly conduct after the Friday night skirmish outside the State House in Providence, according to the Providence Police Department. He was also suspended from the force.

Jennifer Rourke, 40, a progressive Democrat who is running for the State Senate for the third time after losing primaries in 2018 and 2020, identified herself as the victim.

The confrontation on Friday — viewed nearly 5 million times on Twitter in a video taken by a journalist — came as a crowd of demonstrators had assembled at the state capitol to decry the Supreme Court’s ruling earlier that day striking down Roe v. Wade.

In the video, a man is seen repeatedly striking a demonstrator in the head with a closed fist, an assault that Providence’s mayor called “immensely disturbing.”

I suppose it will not be long before some pro-life individual takes out her/his gun [or guns] to silence some protesters permanently.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Granted it was not a tank but it was a large truck and what is this legislation? Now drivers can run pedestrians down with impunity? The women did not appear to be blocking traffic in that section of the street which is apparently what the legislation is in part intended to address.
    Are you joking? The protesters were attacking him and his truck according to the video, it look like he was just trying to get out of Dodge...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Are you joking? The protesters were attacking him and his truck according to the video, it look like he was just trying to get out of Dodge...
      They were trying to make him stop. However, you seem to have no issues about about drivers attempting to run down protesters.

[sarcarsm intended] What a pity that legislation did not exist in Charlottesville in 2017! Mr Fields could have used the excuse that he too was merely trying to "get out of Dodge".
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

They were trying to make him stop. However, you seem to have no issues about about drivers attempting to run down protesters.
        Hey bonehead, he could have easily ran over those women in the front of his truck, he didn't. He could have turned his truck into those on the side of this truck, he didn't. He could have easily ran OVER a number of people, he didn't. One woman had her ankle broken. You have no idea what damage he could have done if he really wanted to, you know like this:

Trial set for man accused in Wisconsin Christmas parade attack that killed 6, injured more than 60

https://abc7chicago.com/waukesha-chr...nsin/11643476/
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Hey bonehead, he could have easily ran over those women in the front of his truck, he didn't.
          Then he would have found himself on a charge of attempted manslaughter or even attempted murder.

He could have turned his truck into those on the side of this truck, he didn't. He could have easily ran OVER a number of people, he didn't. One woman had her ankle broken. You have no idea what damage he could have done if he really wanted to, you know like this:
          You appear to be his cheerleader.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

[sarcarsm intended] What a pity that legislation did not exist in Charlottesville in 2017! Mr Fields could have used the excuse that he too was merely trying to "get out of Dodge".
            I have no problem with a driver trying to escape people trying to attack his vehicle and potentially break inside to harm him. Why would any sane person have a problem with that? We've seen what happens when liberals pull someone out of their vehicle - they get beaten and potentially seriously harmed if not killed. We saw it in the summer of 2020, we saw it during the Rodney King riots.

If a mob of angry nutjobs surrounds my vehicle and starts trying to get in, I'm not going to be thinking about making sure I carefully inch my way out, I'm going to leave before I have to use even more serious force to deal with them if they do break in (namely my firearm).

Comment

Then he would have found himself on a charge of attempted manslaughter or even attempted murder.
              That is the whole point, that he was intentionally trying to run people down! Even your article said he was trying to murder them! That is obviously false. And you said "Americans" were taking their cue from China...

What the hell did you mean by that?

Nope, I just don't always trust the new media. Especially a leftist rag like Salon...

Comment

That is the whole point, that he was intentionally trying to run people down! Even your article said he was trying to murder them! That is obviously false. And you said "Americans" were taking their cue from China...

What the hell did you mean by that?
                Are you not old enough to remember the events of 1989 in Tiananmen Square?

Nope, I just don't always trust the new media.
                Except when it confirms your beliefs!

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

This is the only part of your post that I care about. I completely ignored the commentary and spin and just watched the video for myself. What I saw was a motorist being chased down and surrounded by a group of people who were attempting to impede his progress. To be honest, I would have kept driving, too. No telling what those people might have done if he stopped.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

THIS coming from the cheerleader of the perverts and exhibitionists and degenerates.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

wow

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I suppose it will not be long before some pro-life individual takes out her/his gun [or guns] to silence some protesters permanently.
                        Actually, your team is on a self-proclaimed RAGE against the pro-life group. Hate-filled angry violent thugs, on a mission of "revenge".

Comment

“Every City, Every Town, Burn The Precinct To The Ground”: A Night Of Rage Over Roe V. Wade

Roe-v.-Wade.jpg

In the wake of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade ruling on Friday, which struck down a 1973 precedent that established access to abortion as a constitutional right, some activists responded with violence, calls to extreme action, protest, and vulgar behavior all over the United States.

Despite House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s best attempts to paint the ruling as the product of an “extreme” Republican party and Supreme Court, Democrat-supporting activists and pundits showed just how extreme the political left can be.

Violence and Vandalism

On Friday night, Antifa took to the streets of Washington, D.C. to commit violent acts.

Video footage shows the so-called “anti-fascist” activists wearing all-black outfits – indicating that they are members of the particularly violent “Black Bloc” group – with backpacks full of supplies and masks covering their faces. Activists were seen violently clashing with the police.

Police officers attempted to hold back the activists, many of whom were holding umbrellas, possibly to shield their faces from cameras or protect themselves from pepper spray and projectiles thrown by fellow protestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This is the only part of your post that I care about. I completely ignored the commentary and spin and just watched the video for myself. What I saw was a motorist being chased down and surrounded by a group of people who were attempting to impede his progress. To be honest, I would have kept driving, too. No telling what those people might have done if he stopped.
                            Yep, looked like at least one person had their arms/hands inside the window either grabbing/hitting him or something else inside. Certainly a mistake by the driver to lower the window, but can't blame the victim. I know if something like this happens to me, I'm not opening any windows, double locking my doors, and driving out as quickly as possible so I don't have to use my firearm.

Comment

What does that have to do with anything? I'm not sure what was going through your little noggin when you decided to bring Tiananmen Square into things. Nothing, is my guess, because that has to be the most empty-headed attempt to form some sort of analogy that I've ever seen.

You'd think our supposed 'historian' would be able to construct better analogies, and especially not try to compare a private citizen escaping an angry mob of loonies with a communist totalitarian government using tanks to project their power.

Except when it confirms your beliefs!
                              The projection is strong with this one.

Comment