Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are some Americans taking their cue from China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You alleged a video exists, when asked to provide it, you declined.
    I alleged nothing of the sort. What I said:

"This is what the video seems to show, unless there is a longer clip somewhere that provides additional context."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Let's take a deep breath from H_A's hysteria and really dumb thread title for a moment...

Legal expert offers opinion on Cedar Rapids truck that struck protesters

The personal injury lawyer they consult on this mentions that the truck was driving slowly through the crowd, which had spilled over from the parking lot into the street, and indicated that a judge would have good reason to not even allow a prosecution of the driver.

The police, however, did declare that if the driver had been driving his Chinese Army Tank that this would be a totally different story*.

*OK, that part I made up
      Now, this incident on the other hand:

Source: https://www.wcvb.com/article/driver-charged-crashed-through-window-of-new-england-for-trump-store-easton-massachusetts/40326099

The driver of a car with a bumper sticker critical of former President Donald Trump is facing charges after police say he intentionally crashed into a pro-Trump store in Massachusetts.

Police later identified the driver as Sean Flaherty, 46, of Raynham. He faces charges of reckless operation of a motor vehicle and malicious destruction of property.

Malicious destruction of property is a felony charge. It suggests that police believe there is probable cause that the crash was purposeful and committed with malice.

© Copyright Original Source

There was a thread on it, but predictably, H_A was quiet about that one.
      Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 06-29-2022, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If he were trying to harm the people he would have driven through them quickly, rather than slow enough for them to get away. Once he was clear he sped up. That is not the action of someone who is trying to murder protestors. It is clear that they were attacking him. You can hear them beating on his truck. Maybe he said something to piss them off, but whatever started it, it is clear they were angry and attacking him and he was trying to get away without hurting anyone. That is why the police did not arrest him after talking to him.

What would you do if you were in your car and an angry mob surrounded you and started beating on your car? Please tell me.
        If it was intentional, he would have done what leftists have repeatedly done when they keep driving vehicles into crowds, namely swerved to hit as many as possible besides speeding up.

The police on scene obviously thought he behaved appropriately, not even issuing a ticket much less making an arrest. That may of course change as the politicians in this very blue oasis apply political pressure to placate the mob.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Just stop woman, nothing you suggested or wanted to be true was.
          But she has shown she is absolutely incapable of saying, "OK, you're right.... I was wrong".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let's take a deep breath from H_A's hysteria and really dumb thread title for a moment...

Legal expert offers opinion on Cedar Rapids truck that struck protesters

The personal injury lawyer they consult on this mentions that the truck was driving slowly through the crowd, which had spilled over from the parking lot into the street, and indicated that a judge would have good reason to not even allow a prosecution of the driver.

The police, however, did declare that if the driver had been driving his Chinese Army Tank that this would be a totally different story*.

*OK, that part I made up
            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

This is a factor as well

Source: Lawyer weighs in on protester struck by truck during protest

Police said a group of protesters was crossing Second Street SE along Eighth Avenue SE legally; then the light changed, which gave the right-of-way to the truck driver.

That’s when police said an altercation happened between the driver and one of the protesters. Darin Luneckas, a personal injury attorney at Luneckas Law, said a portion of the so-called “Back the Blue” law passed last year could play a role. Part of the law gives immunity to drivers if they are safely trying to maneuver through protestors.

“The video I’ve seen indicates that he was operating in a manner that was fairly slow and cautious,” Luneckas said. “If that’s all the potential jury has to see in a civil liability claim, then I believe that particular statute would give the judge ground not to let the case even go forward. Or the jury would be allowed to get a jury instruction, and if the jury finds that he’s operating with care, he’ll be completely absolved with any civil liability.”

Luneckas said one point of liability was if the driver could be charged for leaving the scene of an accident. At this time, no charges have been filed.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So it really isn't looking like anything comparable to say the incident in Waukesha where a racist driver deliberately targeted people to run over resulting in 6 deaths and over 60 injuries. I wonder if H_A immediately thought of Tiananmen Square then?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My apologies. I misread what you wrote.
              Congratulations...You just apologized to yourself....

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Just stop woman, nothing you suggested or wanted to be true was.
                So just your typical H_A thread then?

When do you think she will throw the OP under the bus?

A quick question, but has anyone provided evidence that this was even about abortion? Or was it just someone pissed off at a crowd continuing to block traffic?

Comment

So just your typical H_A thread then?

When do you think she will throw the OP under the bus?

A quick question, but has anyone provided evidence that this was even about abortion? Or was it just someone pissed off at a crowd continuing to block traffic?
                  According to the story from the Cedar Rapids affiliate, yeah - it was a pro-abortion protest at the courthouse, and they began to "march around downtown".

(Perhaps H_A can prove the guy drove his tank into the parking lot where the protest began)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Pedantic point: The Chinese tanks didn't actually run over anyone. Suggest referencing the French aristos instead.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Pedantic point: The Chinese tanks didn't actually run over anyone.
                      And neither did this truck. It really was a dumb and inappropriate analogy.

Comment

According to the story from the Cedar Rapids affiliate, yeah - it was a pro-abortion protest at the courthouse, and they began to "march around downtown".

(Perhaps H_A can prove the guy drove his tank into the parking lot where the protest began)
                        That it involved pro-abortion protesters is a given. The question is, was the incident itself about abortion or was the driver just pissed off that the crowd kept blocking the street.

I imagine if he had been arguing with them over Roe that it would have been prominently featured in the story H_A linked to because that could possibly be used to ascertain motive. But if he was interested in just going to work/lunch/home or wherever and upset over the delay, the liberal narrative here just unravels all that much faster.

Comment

If it was intentional, he would have done what leftists have repeatedly done when they keep driving vehicles into crowds, namely swerved to hit as many as possible besides speeding up.

The police on scene obviously thought he behaved appropriately, not even issuing a ticket much less making an arrest. That may of course change as the politicians in this very blue oasis apply political pressure to placate the mob.
                          There were at least two targets directly in front of him. If he was intent on injuring or killing someone, all he had to do was stomp on the gas pedal.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Pedantic point: The Chinese tanks didn't actually run over anyone. Suggest referencing the French aristos instead.
                            According to ABC it might not have been tanks but rather it was "armored personnel carriers and troop trucks simply ran over them" (a little over 2 minutes in).

And that seems to be the bone of contention -- whether it was actual tanks or other types of armored vehicles -- that were used to drive over and crush protesters to death in that numerous news outlets have confirmed that armored vehicles were used to drive over people.

Comment

Is all that supposed a defence of this event?
                              You'd think a supposed historian would be able to read.

Comment

Can you produce this longer clip?
                                The historian fails basic reading comprehension again

Comment