Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

My first reaction is that the story of the cops standing outside for an hour are wrong. There were cops in the hall within a few minutes of the gunman going in.
    Second reaction is: why the hell didn't they do anything? They were right there. Cowards.
    I'm just sick about this whole thing. It literally makes me embarrassed to be part of law enforcement.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm just sick about this whole thing. It literally makes me embarrassed to be part of law enforcement.
      Yeah, it's beginning to look like the entire police force down there treated it as some sort of social club that all the "cool kids" belonged to and had little to no interest in actual police work -- particularly when the fecal matter made physical contact with an electric powered oscillating air current distribution device.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yeah, it's beginning to look like the entire police force down there treated it as some sort of social club that all the "cool kids" belonged to and had little to no interest in actual police work -- particularly when the fecal matter made physical contact with an electric powered oscillating air current distribution device.
        So, risking yet another battle with a good friend, this seems to bear out my suspicion that they weren't "real cops". Garet Troopers all the way.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My first reaction is that the story of the cops standing outside for an hour are wrong. There were cops in the hall within a few minutes of the gunman going in.
          Second reaction is: why the hell didn't they do anything? They were right there. Cowards.
          I think you may be confusing "outside" with "outside the classroom" Other than perhaps very early on I don't know anyone who said that they stood "outside" for an hour, just that they stood with numerous officers outside the classroom/in the hall

But yep total cowards

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, risking yet another battle with a good friend, this seems to bear out my suspicion that they weren't "real cops". Garet Troopers all the way.
            Yeah. They never expected anything like this in their small town and had definitely not prepared for the possibility -- particularly mentally.

I wonder if any were even ex-military and had ever seen combat other than on TV.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Yeah. They never expected anything like this in their small town and had definitely not prepared for the possibility -- particularly mentally.

I wonder if any were even ex-military and had ever seen combat other than on TV.
              I haven't checked into Uvalde, but I know of several police departments that size in Texas where the starting pay for a patrol officer is $16/hour, and the Chief of Police makes $22/hr.

(According to Indeed - beginning police officer in Uvalde makes $40K/yr - $20/hr?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I think you may be confusing "outside" with "outside the classroom" Other than perhaps very early on I don't know anyone who said that they stood "outside" for an hour, just that they stood with numerous officers outside the classroom/in the hall

But yep total cowards
                There was the story of them all standing around outside and the mom who wanted to get to her kid and ran into the school before they could stop her. I didn't see any parents in the hallway.

Comment

There was the story of them all standing around outside and the mom who wanted to get to her kid and ran into the school before they could stop her. I didn't see any parents in the hallway.
                  Lol wow, you really dont like that thing the mom did, thats like the second time I've seen you try to imply it was wrong.

There were cops outside too my dude, theres literal video. Tazing and handcuffing parents. There were also cops outside the classroom in the hallway The lady in question went and got both her kids, who were not in the classroom the shooting occurred in, but two different classrooms. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
                  Last edited by Gondwanaland; 07-13-2022, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Lol wow, you really dont like that thing the mom did, thats like the second time I've seen you try to imply it was wrong.

There were cops outside too my dude, theres literal video. Tazing and handcuffing parents. There were also cops outside the classroom in the hallway The lady in question went and got both her kids, who were not in the classroom the shooting occurred in, but two different classrooms. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
                    The mom did what the armed police should have done: put her life on line to save her children.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

er what? I think she was the only brave one in the bunch. You really like to read your own biases into other people's posts don't you? I was just using her as an example of why I thought the cops were all outside. I thought that was one of the points about the case that showed the police failed: they would not go into the school. and the woman was one example.

I hadn't heard of any cops standing around inside the school until these videos were released.

Comment

It was an ever-evolving story --- that part wasn't in the initial reporting, but it came to light shortly thereafter. There were LOTS of cops outside, but there were, at one point, "17" lined up behind the chief, him holding them all back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The mom did what the armed police should have done: put her life on line to save her children.
                          Which is EXACTLY one of the reasons "armed staff" is touted --- any teacher (they tend to treat those kids as their very own) who was armed that day would have done the job from within the school, or died trying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Comment

er what? I think she was the only brave one in the bunch. You really like to read your own biases into other people's posts don't you? I was just using her as an example of why I thought the cops were all outside. I thought that was one of the points about the case that showed the police failed: they would not go into the school. and the woman was one example.
                              Okay fair enough maybe I'm thinking of another poster who tried to imply she was lying in the past.

I hadn't heard of any cops standing around inside the school until these videos were released.

No, it's been out there for quite a while now. Within the first week we knew, when the DPS chief said the commander on scene made mistakes. Indeed, that's what the chief (the commander on scene) used as an excuse for why he didn't have a radio - that he was on scene inside and the radios don't work inside so he left his radios outside

Comment

Okay fair enough maybe I'm thinking of another poster who tried to imply she was lying in the past.

No, it's been out there for quite a while now. Within the first week we knew, when the DPS chief said the commander on scene made mistakes. Indeed, that's what the chief (the commander on scene) used as an excuse for why he didn't have a radio - that he was on scene inside and the radios don't work inside so he left his radios outside
                                That part - radios don't work inside - IF TRUE, supports my suspicion that they never really "drilled" in preparation --- they had federal money to train and prepare, but I suspect this was a lot like sitting around the squad room talking about it, and never even having a practice or drill.

Reminds me of my oil and gas days when we were required to have "safety meetings", so the guys would gather around somebody's pickup truck and drink beer and talk about bad things that happened in the past --- and list that as "a safety meeting".

Comment