Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Looking like it may be time for Texas DPS to hand the investigation over to someone not involved.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/us/te...val/index.html

Because I don't know if we could fully trust their findings when they have reason to downplay their involvement.
    But I don't trust the Feds, so...

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Looking like it may be time for Texas DPS to hand the investigation over to someone not involved.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/02/us/te...val/index.html

First on CNN: Texas DPS trooper arrived on scene of Uvalde school shooting earlier than previously known, body cam shows

Body camera footage released by the city of Uvalde last month shows a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper was on the scene outside Robb Elementary School just 2 minutes and 28 seconds after the gunman entered, a timeline earlier than previously known.
    The department had only disclosed, in timelines and testimony, that the first state trooper entered the school hallway at 11:42 a.m., nine minutes after the gunman entered the school. But DPS had not stated when the trooper first arrived at the school itself.

The more specific timeline raises further questions about DPS's own transparency and role in the botched police response, even as the department leads the investigation into what happened. The body camera video was provided to CNN by Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin, who has expressed his frustration with the department's investigation and accused DPS of a "cover-up."

The head of the largest police union in Texas said the new timeline raised serious questions about the department's trustworthiness.
    "I don't know that we can trust them to do an internal investigation," Charley Wilkison, the executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, which represents some law enforcement officers in Uvalde, told CNN on Tuesday. "It would be best if the investigation were headed up by an outside independent source that the public can have total confidence in.

"I would say that DPS was fast to wash its hands, to point fingers and to make sure that the general public, particularly the elected officials, knew that they were spotless, blameless and that this was a local problem," he added.

The new reporting comes more than two months after an 18-year-old gunman entered the school, opened fire inside two adjoining classrooms and slaughtered 19 children and two teachers. Officers arrived on the scene minutes later, but after taking fire from the gunman, they retreated to a hallway, and the gunman remained inside the classrooms for a total of 77 minutes before a tactical unit forced their way in and killed him, according to a timeline from the public safety department.
    The long delay contradicts a widely taught protocol for active shooter situations, which says that law enforcement should stop the gunman as fast as possible. Yet authorities have repeatedly offered conflicting timelines and muddled explanations as to what happened in that period.
    In June, DPS Director Col. Steven McCraw called the law enforcement response an "abject failure" in testimony before the Texas Senate. He placed sole blame for the delayed response on the on-scene commander, Uvalde School Police Chief Pedro "Pete" Arredondo.
    Because I don't know if we could fully trust their findings when they have reason to downplay their involvement.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Looks like the Governor was telling porkies himself - he claimed the day of the shooting that he stopped by a fundraiser to 'let people know' he couldn't stay because he had to respond to the recent shooting that had occurred a couple hours earlier that day. Turns out, he spent a number of hours rubbing elbows at said fundraiser instead.

https://www.kwtx.com/2022/07/30/abbo...alde-shooting/

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has said that he stopped at a campaign fundraiser following the deadly school shooting in Uvalde and “let people know” he couldn’t stay, but a newspaper reports that he was there for nearly three hours.

The Dallas Morning News reported Thursday that campaign finance reports and flight-tracking records show that Abbott arrived in Huntsville at 4:52 p.m. on May 24 — hours after the shooting at Robb Elementary School — and then was driven about 2 miles (3 kilometers) to a local supporter’s house. He didn’t leave the city till 7:47 p.m.

An 18-year-old shooter entered the school at 11:33 a.m. that day but it was not till 12:50 p.m. that law enforcement breached the classroom where he was holed up and killed him. Texas Department of Public Safety Director Col. Steve McCraw has called law enforcement’s slow and chaotic response to the shooting an “abject failure.”

McCraw has said that three minutes after the gunman entered the school, enough officers and firepower had been deployed to stop him. Nineteen students and two teachers were killed in the attack.

When Abbott was asked at a news conference in Uvalde the day after the shooting why he hadn’t canceled the fundraiser, he noted that he had been in Abilene when he learned of the attack.

“On the way back to Austin, I stopped and let people know that I could not stay, that I needed to go,” Abbott said. “And I wanted them to know what happened and get back to Austin so that I could continue my collaboration with Texas law enforcement to make sure that all the needs were being met here in the Uvalde area.”

Abilene, where Abbott had given a news conference about wildfires, is about 220 miles (354 kilometers) northwest of Austin, while Huntsville is about 150 miles (240 kilometers) east of the state capital.

Abbott’s campaign spokeswoman, Renae Eze, told the newspaper that Abbott had been forthright about his movements that day. She said that throughout the afternoon and evening of May 24, Abbott spoke with President Joe Biden, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, law enforcement and staff.

“The day after the tragedy, the governor traveled to Uvalde and met with law enforcement and local officials,” she said. “The governor’s description of his movements that day are accurate.”

The day after the shooting, Abbott praised what he said was a swift response by law enforcement officers who “showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire.” He later said that he had been “misled,” and was “livid” about it.

According to a campaign finance report, Abbott may have raised as much as $50,000 at the Huntsville fundraiser, the newspaper said.

Abbott, a Republican, faces Democratic opponent Beto O’Rourke in November.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I realize this is only an anecdote, but my brother and I were long-haired hippies in the early 70s and we lived in an Hispanic gang neighborhood in Santa Ana. One night when leaving my work late in an empty industrial area (riding with my bro who was driving") we were pulled over by a couple of very skittish cops; hands on their guns while creeping up the side of the car. They were ready to confront some armed gangbangers, and they were visibly relieved when they saw we were just a couple of stoners (and I believe we were stoned at the time). They were so relieved that they bid us a friendly adieu, although our hearts were racing after that.

Previously, we lived in a middle-class suburb and we were chased by cops all the time - just for looking like losers.
    And in SOME communities, the cops are no longer allowed to chase you unless you committed a felony!

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A natural tendency, yes. "We ain't never had none of that bad stuff here, so it ain't gonna happen -- not here!"

Even the major police unions blasted their "action". How bad do you have to be for the UNIONS to attack you?
    I realize this is only an anecdote, but my brother and I were long-haired hippies in the early 70s and we lived in an Hispanic gang neighborhood in Santa Ana. One night when leaving my work late in an empty industrial area (riding with my bro who was driving") we were pulled over by a couple of very skittish cops; hands on their guns while creeping up the side of the car. They were ready to confront some armed gangbangers, and they were visibly relieved when they saw we were just a couple of stoners (and I believe we were stoned at the time). They were so relieved that they bid us a friendly adieu, although our hearts were racing after that.

Previously, we lived in a middle-class suburb and we were chased by cops all the time - just for looking like losers.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    IMO, cops that never deal with dangerous situations in their duties grow lazy and cowardly.
    A natural tendency, yes. "We ain't never had none of that bad stuff here, so it ain't gonna happen -- not here!"

In the suburbs, this translates into soccer moms being harassed for not coming to a complete stop at an empty intersection. I suspect that's why these cops were tackling parents outside as opposed to dealing with the real danger inside.
    Even the major police unions blasted their "action". How bad do you have to be for the UNIONS to attack you?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Given the attempts to block footage from being released the last few weeks, I think you're right.
    The multi-jurisdictional CISM training I attended last week was comprised of representatives from all over Texas and Louisiana -- the first 15 minutes or so were consumed with anger towards the Uvalde cops and authorities, and I don't believe I have EVER heard the phrase (often referred to as Charlie Foxtrot) thrown about with such emotion.

The sense there was that there was ZERO actual training or 'drilling' done.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

I think it's just gonna get worser and worserer the more we learn about this.

It's like an evil spirit or some kind of mind control flooded this operation with extreme stupidity and cowardice. I don't see how it could have been much worse, unless the cops had opened fire indiscriminately and killed children themselves.
    IMO, cops that never deal with dangerous situations in their duties grow lazy and cowardly. In the suburbs, this translates into soccer moms being harassed for not coming to a complete stop at an empty intersection. I suspect that's why these cops were tackling parents outside as opposed to dealing with the real danger inside.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

It's like an evil spirit or some kind of mind control flooded this operation with extreme stupidity and cowardice. I don't see how it could have been much worse, unless the cops had opened fire indiscriminately and killed children themselves.
    Given the attempts to block footage from being released the last few weeks, I think you're right.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

What is really irksome is that at first they all sat around in a big press conference taking credit for their actions in stopping the gunman. They should have kept a low profile.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So some body cam footage got released. Now we have direct confirmation that by 12:11 the police inside the building had direct 911 dispatch contact and knew for a fact that she was on the line with a kid inside the classroom and that there were multiple kids dead inside.

And yet they waited 40 more minutes after that communication from dispatch before breaching, knowing for a fact that kids were in the classroom, calling for help. So now Arredondo and the rest dont get to claim that radios didnt work (they did, we can see them veind used throughout the body cam video while inside) nor can they claim that they didnt know about the 911 calls or have contact with 911 dispatchers.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/0...kupecz-vpx.cnn

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    So some body cam footage got released. Now we have direct confirmation that by 12:11 the police inside the building had direct 911 dispatch contact and knew for a fact that she was on the line with a kid inside the classroom and that there were multiple kids dead inside.

And yet they waited 40 more minutes after that communication from dispatch before breaching, knowing for a fact that kids were in the classroom, calling for help. So now Arredondo and the rest dont get to claim that radios didnt work (they did, we can see them veind used throughout the body cam video while inside) nor can they claim that they didnt know about the 911 calls or have contact with 911 dispatchers.

that student the dispatcher referred to would go on to call another 5 times during those 40 minutes after the officers were informed.
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/0...kupecz-vpx.cnn
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 07-18-2022, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And yet there are instances on a daily basis (given the size of the population) where police willingly put there own lives in jeopardy to save people.
    We only ever hear about the failures and not the countless successes.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Never stopped you before

This is one of those cases where I can explain what happened, and even, to some extent, why -- but it doesn't change the fact that this will go down in history as a classic Police Academy Training "Case Study" of everything that can go horribly wrong.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I butted out.
    Never stopped you before

Leave a comment: