Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is a Woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    because you are afraid to hurt someone's feelings. ...
    We made some progress I think. But if you think that is my motivation, you've not been reading my posts for the last decade or more ...
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• It's not about wearing the dress of the opposite sex. It's all about what mindset you get into when you do.

Comment

What about an actor in a play dressing like a woman? They used to do it routinely in Shakespeare's time. And do you notice we seem to get more upset with men dressing like women than the other way around? Nobody minds if a woman wears overalls or a pant suit. Except maybe some KJV only type churches. My mom's old baptist church had a rule that women could only come to church wearing dresses. No pants allowed.
        Obviously there's more to it than just an article of clothing. As you noted, men and women at the time of the Old Testament both wore robes. It's more about dressing in a way so one appears to be the opposite gender, which involves more than just a woman putting on a pair of pants.

To your question about an actor, I suppose the real question is, does God take intent into account? If an actor is only playing a role in a play and isn't going about trying to convince greater society that he's a woman, will God give him a pass? I don't know.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-30-2022, 06:21 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Both sexes wore "dresses" in bible times. I remember going to an Easter pageant at my church with a friend and her young daughter a while back. The little girl looked up at me and said, "Why is Jesus wearing a dress?"
          You can't "gird your loins" if you're wearing pants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No, that is not what I am alleging.
            You have been trying to allege that two words and their root verb mean different things in two different verses.

Perhaps you should change your pseudonym to Humpty Dumpty.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You have been trying to allege that two words and their root verb mean different things in two different verses.

Perhaps you should change your pseudonym to Humpty Dumpty.

Perhaps you should change your pseudonym to moron.

Comment

Perhaps you should change your pseudonym to moron.
                It is precisely what you have been alleging. Nice pejorative there MM - very Christian of you.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by moron View Post

It is precisely what you have been alleging. Nice pejorative there MM - very Christian of you.
                  No, it is not what I have been alleging. The word means the same thing in both instances. The difference is in who the thing is considered an abomination to.

"This is an abomination to God" vs "This shall be an abomination to you", which is to say it is a difference between moral law and ceremonial law.

If you still don't understand then I suggest you go slam your head in a door a few hundred times and see if you can't knock some sense into yourself. It certainly couldn't make you any dumber.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

He hasn't, but even if he had, it would by no means be be impossible in any number of languages (depending on whether it would be possible for the word in question and context.)
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No, it is not what I have been alleging. The word means the same thing in both instances. The difference is in who the thing is considered an abomination to.
                      And Deuteronomy 14.3 has the deity stating

You shall not eat any abhorrent thing/Thou shalt not eat any abominable thing

In your "considered opinion" what other supernatural entity is this entity referencing concerning what is deemed to be abominable or abhorrent?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

We made some progress I think. But if you think that is my motivation, you've not been reading my posts for the last decade or more ...
                        I was just postulating a motive. I do know you are not shy in telling anyyone on tweb when you think they are sinning or not acting like a Christian, but you seem to be reluctant to point out that LBGT behavior is a sin because it might be perceived as "condemnation" and you want to "wait for God to reveal it to them" somehow. To me that sounds like you are reluctant to hurt their feelings with the truth.

Comment

Obviously there's more to it than just an article of clothing. As you noted, men and women at the time of the Old Testament both wore robes. It's more about dressing in a way so one appears to be the opposite gender, which involves more than just a woman putting on a pair of pants.

To your question about an actor, I suppose the real question is, does God take intent into account? If an actor is only playing a role in a play and isn't going about trying to convince greater society that he's a woman, will God give him a pass? I don't know.
                          So it's about trying to fool other people? What about someone who only dresses up like a man or woman in their own home and tells nobody about it? Is that OK then? What about someone who is obviously not fooling anyone dressing like the opposite sex? Like say if Arnold Schwarzenegger put on a skirt and walked around town? He would still obviously be a man and not fooling anyone.

All I am saying is that the OT Law is more complicated than it is presented. Motivations are not mentioned in the law.

Comment

So it's about trying to fool other people? What about someone who only dresses up like a man or woman in their own home and tells nobody about it? Is that OK then? What about someone who is obviously not fooling anyone dressing like the opposite sex? Like say if Arnold Schwarzenegger put on a skirt and walked around town? He would still obviously be a man and not fooling anyone.

All I am saying is that the OT Law is more complicated than it is presented. Motivations are not mentioned in the law.
                            The bottom line is this: the Bible clearly says it is detestable to God, so looking for loopholes is the wrong approach.

Comment

• 277172242_4709751065814948_1592687592158604921_n.jpg
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I was just postulating a motive. I do know you are not shy in telling anyyone on tweb when you think they are sinning or not acting like a Christian, but you seem to be reluctant to point out that LBGT behavior is a sin because it might be perceived as "condemnation" and you want to "wait for God to reveal it to them" somehow. To me that sounds like you are reluctant to hurt their feelings with the truth.
                                It's not about hurting feelings. It is about making sure that they know we are not about trying to hurt or destroy them - a gay or trans person, even in our current society, must endure a great deal of very hostile behavior. Anyrhing from just hostile looks to being dragged behind a pickup till dead. When we use the sorts of language we see used in this thread, it can trigger the legitimate fears for their physical and emotional safety that have been learned over time.

So talking about a person being 'abhorrent to God' or 'an abomination', this is the language used to rally mobs to hunt the things or people down and destroy them. And in the old testament, it is indeed a death sentence.

And it is not as if there are no conservative Christian groups or people that have done such things. And regardless of how much we know 'that is not us' , the average person we come in contact with does not know that until they get to know us more closely.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment