Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is a Woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Speaking of patting yourself on the back while looking down your nose at others, this is exactly the sort of bald faced hypocrisy and self-righteousness I've come to expect from you, but for whatever it's worth, you at least have enough self-awareness to acknowledge that you have not actually addressed my argument. That you dismiss an accurate reading of scripture as "swatting gnats while swallowing camels" does you no credit.
    I guess you'd have said it did Jesus no credit when he said it too. Because I guarantee you the pharasees He said it to where absolutely sure they had the accurate reading of scripture, and Jesus was ignoring what it said.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Many LGBTQ... that proclaim christ as Lord ( something most posting here would declare impossible in truth ) attend relatively conservative churches because they want the worship and love they offer ... to non LGBTQ... people. But they do it in stealth mode, knowing if the people there understand who they are, they would be at best shunned, if not kicked out.
      You could replace LGBTQ with any other sin and have it be just as true.

Many Adulterers/Murderers/Thieves/Wife Beaters/etc... that proclaim christ as Lord ( something most posting here would declare impossible in truth ) attend relatively conservative churches because they want the worship and love they offer ... to non Adulterers/Murderers/Thieves/Wife Beaters/etc... people. But they do it in stealth mode, knowing if the people there understand who they are, they would be at best shunned, if not kicked out.

Comment

If they call themselves Christian yet are unrepentant, then they should be shunned and kicked out of the church. The Bible is explicitly clear on that point. If anyone feels like they need be in "stealth mode" to attend church, then it's time for them to clean up their act.

"The wicked flee when no one is pursuing them."
        Thanks for proving my point.

Was the woman at the well 'wicked'. She'd had a bunch of husbands, and was living with the current fellow. Did Jesus tell her she needed to repent and get her act together before He would talk to her? Did He offer her His living water only on the condition she stop living with her current partner? And while he mentions her history, is there any record he discussed it in moral terms?
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I explained how.

"He who has ears, let him hear."
          You "explained" precisely nothing. The abhorrence and abomination [toebah/toevet/toevah] of women dressing as men is no lesser or greater an abhorrence and abomination [toebah/toevet/toevah] than eating the flesh of animals deemed to be unclean.

Otherwise you appear to be adopting a pick and mix approach as to which divinely ordained abhorrence/abomination you personally consider to be an abhorrence/abomination.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You "explained" precisely nothing. The abhorrence and abomination [toebah/toevet/toevah] of women dressing as men is no lesser or greater an abhorrence and abomination [toebah/toevet/toevah] than eating the flesh of animals deemed to be unclean.

Otherwise you appear to be adopting a pick and mix approach as to which divinely ordained abhorrence/abomination you personally consider to be an abhorrence/abomination.
            Translation: "La la la ... I can't hear you!"
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Translation: "La la la ... I can't hear you!"
              The fact remains that you cannot justify why you consider certain behaviour to be a divinely sanctioned abominations/abhorrence while ignoring other divinely sanctioned abominations/abhorrence, primarily because to do so suits your purpose.

Hence women dressing as men and homosexuality are [for you] abominations and divine abhorrence, but eating what are deemed unclean foods or mixing fabrics in your garments -e.g. wool/linen pullovers is perfectly acceptable. In short a pick and mix approach.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You could replace LGBTQ with any other sin and have it be just as true.

Many Adulterers/Murderers/Thieves/Wife Beaters/etc... that proclaim christ as Lord ( something most posting here would declare impossible in truth ) attend relatively conservative churches because they want the worship and love they offer ... to non Adulterers/Murderers/Thieves/Wife Beaters/etc... people. But they do it in stealth mode, knowing if the people there understand who they are, they would be at best shunned, if not kicked out.
                First : You can't mix personal, private sexual sins in with sins, sexual or otherwise, that involve betrayal, abuse, or violence to others.

And on that note. Have you ever looked closely at the sorts of sins Jesus tended to be compassionate about wrt the sinner,, and the sorts of sin where he absolutely ripped into the sinners committing them?

It is my observations that where Jesus showed compassion, we would tend to rail in judgement, and where Christ railed the hardest, we tend to look the other way or pretend it's not so bad.

Comment

The fact remains that you cannot justify why you consider certain behaviour to be a divinely sanctioned abominations/abhorrence while ignoring other divinely sanctioned abominations/abhorrence, primarily because to do so suits your purpose.

Hence women dressing as men and homosexuality are [for you] abominations and divine abhorrence, but eating what are deemed unclean foods or mixing fabrics in your garments -e.g. wool/linen pullovers is perfectly acceptable. In short a pick and mix approach.
                  It's the usual tactics of Cafeteria Christianity at its finest. That's why I have far more respect for those who follow Messianic Judaism than most Christians.

Comment

False. I explained the distinction very clearly and carefully. That you are unwilling or unable to understand that explanation is not my problem.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-29-2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

False. I explained the distinction very clearly and carefully. That you are unwilling or unable to understand that explanation is not my problem.
                      You are trying to allege that the same word [and its verb root] meant different things in two different texts.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It's the usual tactics of Cafeteria Christianity at its finest. That's why I have far more respect for those who follow Messianic Judaism than most Christians.
                        There's nothing wrong with continuing to follow the observances of the Old Covenant, but it is not necessary under the New Covenant.

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt...

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

You are trying to allege that the same word [and its verb root] meant different things in two different texts.
                          No, that is not what I am alleging.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with continuing to follow the observances of the Old Covenant, but it is not necessary under the New Covenant.

Scripture Verse: Jeremiah 31

Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt...

© Copyright Original Source

I am fully aware of the game of Twister of wordgames that most Christians engage in to use the OT when it suits them and their desires and dismiss it when it would oppose their desires. I engaged in that same game when I was Christian and thought I was a good Christian too.

It's quite entertaining to watch as an outside spectator now.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

First : You can't mix personal, private sexual sins in with sins, sexual or otherwise, that involve betrayal, abuse, or violence to others.

And on that note. Have you ever looked closely at the sorts of sins Jesus tended to be compassionate about wrt the sinner,, and the sorts of sin where he absolutely ripped into the sinners committing them?

It is my observations that where Jesus showed compassion, we would tend to rail in judgement, and where Christ railed the hardest, we tend to look the other way or pretend it's not so bad.
                              Note : Compassion does not equal approval. For example; someone in an active same sex relationship comes to my church. They can participate in the prayers, and the music, but can no more partake of Communion than a person living in adultery.
                              However that person is never barred from Church, or from taking advantage of the ministries the Church offers. We have ministries for people struggling with or living in the LGBT lifestyle and they exist to help a person live to the calling of marriage or the calling of celibacy or to live as the person God created them to be; not to condemn a person. Indeed where does Jesus permit anyone to continue to sin? Instead what does he do. The love of Christ is great and unimaginable, but it does not permit a person to live a life where they make an idol out of sin, and indeed "you cannot serve two masters..."
                              .Consider the following: A drug addict comes in the emergency room desperate for pain medicine. The Dr. can 1) give pain medicine and continue the addiction. or the Dr. can 2) offer withdrawal support and a treatment plan. Option one ultimately risks the patient's death. Option two gives the patient life. Are we as Christians to believe that offering what results in a person's death or seperation from God equals Compassion? Or should we instead steer a person toward a life that is Holy, just, righteous and pleasing to the Lord, and offer them the tools to live that way?
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How can it be "False" when all the words are from the same root?
                                Wow.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment