Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the issue over paid maternity leave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Given your own concerns about conserving the money in your wallet, the comments by Cow Poke about "idiot liberals" that "pay plenty of other people (with our money) to stay home and get paid", the ironic remark from Gondwanaland "Yes, let's tax ourselves to pay ourselves for our maternity leave", not to mention the potential eugenics policy proposed by Sparko I would have thought that Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers were doing all of you a financial service.

By preventing all those [generally poor and/or less financially affluent] women from producing unwanted progeny that then go on to become a further burden on the state, those various social programmes that help such groups and which are paid for by your [clearly much cherished tax dollars] would eventually be eliminated because the "surplus population" would no longer exist.

Just think how much of your beloved money that would save all of you.

If anyone detects a hint of contemptuous sarcasm in this post, Bravo. It was intentional.
    While we're at it, let's execute all the homeless and unemployed. Think of the savings!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's not paranoia, it's a reasoned conclusion based on the facts. We know that Europe has lax medical record keeping that just happens to make them look better than the US
      You know no such thing. You wish to believe that the sole reason for the differences in IMR is only to do with the way data are collected because you cannot countenance that other nations might, in various areas, actually be providing better pre and post natal care for infants than does the USA nationally.

However, it is not just European countries that have lower IMR than the USA. Japan and New Zealand also do better than your country in that regard.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I appear to have touched a nerve by referencing hypocrisy and the worship of Mammon among some who have posted to this thread.
        Who are you trying to fool with your touched a nerve shtick? You tend to retreat to it whenever you can't think of anything else to say.

Anyone that knows me and how I live would very quickly realize that money is not high up in my list of important things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Which is why this very topic comes up - wishing to force other people to spend their own money on third parties.

Again, anybody in the US is free to start their own business, and hire people, and pay them whatever they wish (if, in fact, they have the ability and the funds).
          It's the whole you must give your money to x while those issuing the orders keep tight control of their own money. Like someone calling for taxes to be raised while owing hundreds of millions in back taxes.

One of the most notorious examples is Warren Buffet who is a class A hypocrite when it comes to this.

Remember when Warren Buffet infamously complained that he was paying a lower rate than his secretary[1]? Aside from dishonestly obfuscating things by deliberately confusing tax rates on capital gains and income (like he didn't know better ) it turned out that Buffet has actually done everything possible to avoid paying taxes that he actually owes.

For instance, his own company, Berkshire Hathaway[2], is doing everything it can to avoid paying taxes and actually owed nearly a Billion dollars in back taxes dating back to 2002. Another one of his companies was involved in a 14-year fight with the IRS over a dividend-received deduction that was finally settled in 2005. And he is also deeply involved in the purchase of Tim Horton's by Burger King so that the latter can move its offices to Canada in order to pay far less in taxes.

Liberals are also increasingly notorious for showing their generosity by giving away other people's money while holding tightly on to their own. And if they're a politician they cheerfully raise tax rates never intending to pay them (see Charlie Rangel, Tom Daschle and Timothy Geithner as a very short list of examples).

They are great at demanding that taxes be increased and then not paying them. That's for the suckers. And if they get caught they are allowed to simply pay what they were supposed to have paid in the first place -- no interest or penalties. Like an interest free loan that you only have to pay back if someone catches you.

1. It should be noted that his secretary's six-figured salary puts her well into the one percenters herself.

2. Which Buffet is the principle shareholder of (32.4%) as well as its chairman, president and CEO.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You know no such thing.
            It's a reasonable explanation of the facts.

Comment

No, that it was such a lousy thread that even you ran from it.

Lacking the ability to carry on an actual argument, you seem to have become incredibly thin-skinned of late.

Your goofy thread about wanting to force other people to spend their own money to pay others not to work is flailing just like your "Texas Bounty Hunter" thread.
              It's the typical liberal thing of finding someone who could use a hand and then demanding that everyone else help them out while not doing anything themselves. Then they pat themselves on the back for being so generous with other people's money

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Hm, what's that? Personal comments from Ms I Don't Make Personal Comments?
                That's... "different." It never counts when she does it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Who are you trying to fool with your touched a nerve shtick? You tend to retreat to it whenever you can't think of anything else to say.

Anyone that knows me and how I live would very quickly realize that money is not high up in my list of important things.
                  She's trying to "zing" us for having a reasonable concern about money when her entire argument is that other people should pay for a woman's decision to become a mother.

Comment

On the contrary. From the tenor of various posts made by some individuals on this thread and others I have started [or to which I have offered comments] I often get the distinct impression that several of you only really wish to engage in a slanging contest.

I therefore leave you to your own devices.
                    Yo' shizzle do complain a lot fo' a gerthug lady smiley gangsta2.gif

Comment

It is a perfectly reasonable question. Merely because you, as an individual, happen to have been born and raised in a country that fact does not qualify you as an expert on that country's legal, political, and social institutions.
                      True. There are a lot of folks who know little or nothing about how anything works and don't care. But the prodder of bovines has been a part of government for a number of decades and would likely pick up at least a few things.

Moreover, when a native tells you that you have something wrong the wise course is to stop and listen. Now it is conceivable that the native has things backwards and doesn't know what he's talking about but that first needs to be checked out before you can summarily dismiss what they said.

Comment

The US collection of data is not "superior" it is merely different, and once you are overly preoccupied with the collection of such data.

That discrepancy may be a possible reason for the differences but it is not the sole reason, despite some here wishing it to be so.
                        The U.S. data presents a more accurate portrait of what is actually going on than those designed to artificially keep numbers low, so in that way it most definitely superior. I mean if you want to improve on the situation then you need accurate information or else you're bound to GIGO.

Comment

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. And Stunned!

She always manages to turn it into emotional drivel, and avoids the actual topic. She engages in tactics, then blames others.

no.gif
                          You ain't gonna make me do it

Comment

I am still waiting for someone to put forward a cogent and reasoned argument as to why they are opposed to working women being federally mandated to receive paid maternity leave.

The points made in the link provided by Mountain Man indicate that paid parental leave and a nationwide programme of home visits by qualified medical staff would go some way to alleviate the IMR in many parts of the USA.

However, remarks posted to this thread seem more concerned with individual's wallets [as in how much tax they may have to pay] as well as eccentric notions of "freedom" such as the facts you have outlined without any consideration as to the other fact that [for myriad reasons] those opportunities may not always be available to working women across your country.
                            If everyone had a professional chauffer at their beck and call then there would be fewer traffic accidents which would be a great benefit to the country at large.

Just because something would be beneficial in one way does[1] not automatically justify being allowed to forcibly take money from others to pay for it.

And let's not kid ourselves about this. If you don't hand it over when they "request" it there will be real people armed with real guns who will throw you in a real jail while they seize your property and sell it off if you don't comply

1. ignoring all of the inevitable "unintended consequences" that only seem to surprise those on the left when they take place.

Comment

As I noted to rogue06 I left the boys to enjoy their online chitchat that occurred a few pages back and adopted the line used by Marjorie Main's character of Lucy in The Women [1939] "Oh leave 'em enjoy their-selves"
                              Translation: I couldn't refute anything that you brought up so I'll try a transparent ploy instead.

Comment

You HAVE to bring color into this, don't you?
                                As soon as I red that I knew you'd be blue.

Comment